Scoutmaster (retired)

ML64

I was a scoutmaster for several years, and an assistant for a few more before that. Have been retired from it for a bit over a year now. It was a good experience, but I have to admit it put me off camping for a bit. Now Im ready to go back out again. This time it will be a bit different. No more summer camps in a spider infested tent. No more two hours of clearing snow to put up tents at Klondike. No more burnt hotdogs, no more talking other peoples kids out of fighting over the camp ax, playing in the fire, etc. No more dinners served on partially washed dishes (bio-weapons). My new tent has AC, heat, TV, power, Microwave, and a flush toilet. And the best part- I will be camping with my own kids and my own grandkids! Its been too long. Thanks Heartland!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Those scouting days are days to remember. Hubby was in scouting for about 50 years doing just about everything on unit level, district, regional and national and I was in for about 23 years also doing all kinds of volunteer stuff including working for the council both in the scout shop and head register. Don't miss those rocks at all.

CDN

B and B
I led Cub Scouts in Canada as Akela and Baloo for 10 years and contributed to many other district activities. It was a cycle when my kids were involved. I had 2 Queens Ventures and one who was a Venture. We camp as family now. DW and I in the Bighorn and the 7 kids with spouses in Tents on separate sites. Lots of fun!

olcoon

Yep been there done that. Was a Scout as a boy, and leader when my son was a Scout. Went from committee member to Asst. Scoutmaster, even went through Wood Badge (Eagle Patrol). I do miss it, but don't think I want to do it again mainly because of what is happing with the organization these days. I've got a grandson that will be coming into the world any day now, and unless something drastic happens I don't think my son will let him be a member of goy scouts. But he'll have daddy & grandpa to teach him what he needs to know.

I don't think they would let me bring my "hard sided tent" on campouts anyway!!!

ML64

Yep been there done that. Was a Scout as a boy, and leader when my son was a Scout. Went from committee member to Asst. Scoutmaster, even went through Wood Badge (Eagle Patrol). I do miss it, but don't think I want to do it again mainly because of what is happing with the organization these days. I've got a grandson that will be coming into the world any day now, and unless something drastic happens I don't think my son will let him be a member of goy scouts. But he'll have daddy & grandpa to teach him what he needs to know.

I don't think they would let me bring my "hard sided tent" on campouts anyway!!!

There were some campouts that we took my neighbors trailer on. He was one of our assistant scoutmasters and he had health issues that made it really hard for him to tent camp so they made an exception for him. That was always nice to have. I agree with you about the changes they are making to scouting. I don't think they are headed in the right direction. I have never been very politically correct. I probably got out at the right time.

olcoon

Yep, me too! As a matter of fact I'd better get off here, because I see a soapbox pretty close.....

Roller4tan

Yeah, I've been there too, Wood Badge Owl. I noticed things turning south when a lot of the boys came from single parent homes, where no male figure was involved. It made things difficult to get any assistants or committee members. I did manage one son as an Eagle Scout and a grandson as well.