Screen Door protector

Dtaylor52

I have seen here and other places where people have added something to protect their screen door from pets. Here is how I chose to do it:

When looking at my door, I noticed there was a lip across the bottom and the top. This lip is about 1/2 wide. I also noticed there was a channel that ran up both sides of the door and lined up with the lip on the top and bottom. I measured the width and the depth of the channel. It was about 3/16 wide and 1/4 deep. I had a piece of 3/16 plexiglass cut so it would fit into the channel on each side. To insert the glass I simply flexed it in the middle and placed each end into both channels.

To remove it, just flex it. Nothing had to be modified.

k03fki.jpg

149p25k.jpg

vdejp0.jpg

Westwind

I cut plexiglass for the bottom and upper openings on our screen door. I'm able to have the outer door open while the heat and AC are going. Lets a lot of light into the FW and keeps both inside.

DuaneG

Both are nice ideas. I was just thinking about doing something similar and this will solve the problem. Thanks for sharing.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Did the same with plexiglass but only on the bottom where the screen is. I used white velco to hold it in place. This way Callie (the moose) cant go thru it. BTW, Callie was a rescue dog. We were told that she would be about a 40# and 18" high. My @$$....she is almost up to my waste and over a 100#.....hence the "moose".

RanCarr

I cut plexiglass for the bottom and upper openings on our screen door. I'm able to have the outer door open while the heat and AC are going. Lets a lot of light into the FW and keeps both inside.

We did the same thing. We use Velcro to hold the Plexiglas panels in place. It also saves the screen from the cats.

ParkIt

Thanks for the tips, not sure if I'll need it with the cats (indoor only) but would try plexiglass if need be secured with velcro. Cardboard would just be another scratching post to them.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm doing this mod right now for our kitties. The plexiglass I bought was not very thick, and I can flex it into groves on the side. Used some clear sticky-backed Velcro at top and bottom, but it was "low profile" and did not have enough grip to hold. A few in-and-outs slamming the screen door, and the plexiglass was trying to fall. I have bought a new Velcro with taller hooks and loops, so will try this week to get the plexiglass in place and staying there. I'll try to remember to take some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk