Seals Around Slideouts

Masonpro1

Hi Folks, I own a 2011 Bighorn fifth wheel, I have noticed this past summer that the rubber seals around my slideouts are disintegrating. Probably from sun exposure but I don't know for sure.
Has anyone else run into a situation similar to mine. The trailer is now 7 yrs old, however I believe that this problem is a little premature.
Masonpro1

jimtoo

I have an 09 and mine is doing it also, but mainly on the ones that are on the sunny side all day. Rubber exposed to heat and sunlight will deteriorate. Mine also has a couple of places that look like maybe some type of cleaner or lub was applied or not cleaned off, kinda melted.

Jim M

Garypowell

I have had 5 rigs and have not run into this but know other has. I rub my seals down at least once a year with silicone. Your's might be past this.....but I can't hurt to try. I normally wait until Auto Zone has spray on sale and get 2 cans for the price of one.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have about 60 feet of that rubber D-seal sitting in the garage waiting for warm weather to replace my deterioration seals.
Your not the lone wolf here.

Peace
Dave

dlw930

I have about 60 feet of that rubber D-seal sitting in the garage waiting for warm weather to replace my deterioration seals.
Your not the lone wolf here.

Peace
Dave

Do you order the D-seal from Heartland or do you have another source? It seems to be the top seals that go bad first. I replaced the D seals on our '11 Big Country after 3 years. Now the ones on our '13 Landmark need replacing as well as the wipers. Need to order and install while I'm in Mission, TX for two months and the weathers nice and warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

This has been mentioned on previous threads. I copied the part number from one of the threads. What you are looking for is:
[h=1]018-312-EKD Black Rubber 1" D Bulb RV Slide Out Seal[/h]You do a search and you will find it at Walmart, Camping World, RV Auto Parts, RV Parts Country, EBAY, Campers Parts World, Amazon.com, and more.

The sweep may be this one on Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/Products-018-341-Black-Premium-Seal/dp/B007EXPANS

Better check and measure to make sure. Heartland may give you the manufacture's part number. I am not against purchasing directly form Heartland, but the shipping cost from Heartland can be knee buckling! They seem to ship with a one or two day delivery only.

dlw930

This has been mentioned on previous threads. I copied the part number from one of the threads. What you are looking for is:
[h=1]018-312-EKD Black Rubber 1" D Bulb RV Slide Out Seal[/h]You do a search and you will find it at Walmart, Camping World, RV Auto Parts, RV Parts Country, EBAY, Campers Parts World, Amazon.com, and more.

The sweep may be this one on Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/Products-018-341-Black-Premium-Seal/dp/B007EXPANS

Better check and measure to make sure. Heartland may give you the manufacture's part number. I am not against purchasing directly form Heartland, but the shipping cost from Heartland can be knee buckling! They seem to ship with a one or two day delivery only.

I need 40' so I'd need to buy 2 rolls each of the wiper and D-seal from Amazon with a lot of "waste". IIRC from when I ordered before, Heartland will sell by the foot so I can buy only what I need, saving a considerable cost even with paying Heartland's shipping. I'll check on Heartland's current prices next week. That's just the way it works out for me. Thanks for the product Part No.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Just under two years from date of manufacture, the D-seal on the slide-out of our Previous Heartland Trail Runner seemed to have melted and got stuck to the slide-out, and ripped off about half way across the slide when it was put out.

Discovered it while down in Arizona at the Grand Canyon on our way to an HOC Rally, but traded it (the Trail Runner) in before fixing that issue.

I, of course, alerted the dealership about it.

rjr6150

I have 24' of slideout seal not able to use doesn't match any of the seals on my rig. Ordered seals for our bedroom slide last summer they shipped incorrect style. Told me to just keep and shipped the correct. I'll get down to my storage shed on Monday and take a photo.

if anyone can use yours free plus cost of shipping.

mlpeloquin

I need 40' so I'd need to buy 2 rolls each of the wiper and D-seal from Amazon with a lot of "waste". IIRC from when I ordered before, Heartland will sell by the foot so I can buy only what I need, saving a considerable cost even with paying Heartland's shipping. I'll check on Heartland's current prices next week. That's just the way it works out for me. Thanks for the product Part No.

Say, if you go to the Heartland rally at Goshen, you can sign up for having them fix the D seals. They will do it for free!

dlw930

Say, if you go to the Heartland rally at Goshen, you can sign up for having them fix the D seals. They will do it for free!

Great idea Marc. Heartland is great about doing those kind of repairs at Goshen. Unfortunately, in my judgement, our seals need to replaced ASAP. We're also planning an AK trip this year and will be missing Goshen. But others with bad seals may be able to take advantage of the Heartland Rally service.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Be sure to clear the backside of the slides that contact the D seals. They become sticky and can damage the D seal. We had to replace ours and then coated the seals with 303 Areospace. Got the D seal from PPL in Houston.

Masonpro1

I have 24' of slideout seal not able to use doesn't match any of the seals on my rig. Ordered seals for our bedroom slide last summer they shipped incorrect style. Told me to just keep and shipped the correct. I'll get down to my storage shed on Monday and take a photo.

if anyone can use yours free plus cost of shipping.

Hi Folks, Thank you for the generous offer. I would appreciate you following up with a photo of the seal showing the front view and the profile view.
One question, was the seal delivered to you rolled up. I am assuming so.

Thanks
Len
Masonpro1

Kbvols

I use baby powder in an old sock and rub on seals a couple times a year. Works great keeps them from sticking. 5 years old and seals are fine. I learned this on the forum and it works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rjr6150

IMG_0046.jpgIMG_0047.jpg
Hi Folks, Thank you for the generous offer. I would appreciate you following up with a photo of the seal showing the front view and the profile view.
One question, was the seal delivered to you rolled up. I am assuming so.

Thanks
Len
Masonpro1

Sorry photos not the best. I'll try tomorrow it's suppose to be sunny here. Yes it's rolled packing list shows it's 30'

rjr6150