Secondary 110V Switch Bad?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Anybody ever have the secondary 110V rocker switch inside the water heater go bad? We lost hot water on the 110V side and DH traced it to no continuity in this switch....what could cause that switch to just go bad?? :confused:

Lou_and_Bette

Don't remember whose rig it was but, when we were at Urbana, the RV Doctor was coming around to several rigs to help solve some problems and give some hands on education. One of the rigs had a 110v problem with HW and finally traced down to that little black rocker switch in outside HW compartment. If it's mechanical it can fail, but in this case I believe cleaning contacts resolved the problem.

kakampers

Update: DH found a replacement switch...all is OK now...just wish we knew why it went bad...

danemayer

Update: DH found a replacement switch...all is OK now...just wish we knew why it went bad...

Kathy,

You might be right to be questioning how it failed. Since it doesn't get switched on and off, the failure might be due to some electrical issue - maybe something causing overheating at the connectors. Did Ken notice any discoloration that might indicate heat damage or arcing?

kakampers

No Dan...first thing we checked. Absolutely nothing unusual...but we did notice that the switch didn't "feel" right...if you know what I mean.

Garypowell

I had one go bad and simply bypassed it. My assumption was it was exposed to outside and was not really rated for that use....but they get by with it and save a $.05.

kakampers

Yeah Dan,...that's our conclusion too! Just odd as we've lived in this from day one, turned it on and not touched again...not too strong of a switch apparently.