Securing an awning

BluegrassMan

Guy's:
I've never used anything to secure it while traveling, just had faith that all is well. Though over T-giving, I spent 2 wks. in KY, I had a blast of wind put my awning partially up over my roof. It was calm when hitting the sack, W-Channel wasn't calling for any wind. WHAM @ about 4:00am it hit. Awning was OK, pulled the anchor out on the one end of the awning, it's in the shop now. Gotta pay the first $200. Bummer

alkyspeed

Straps

I used to deliver RV trailers and the Co gave us large zip strips to secure the awning arms. Better to be safe than sorry. I now use the large velcro straps on mine just in case something isn't right. Murphy's Law you know.

grizzlygiant

alkyspeed said:
I used to deliver RV trailers and the Co gave us large zip strips to secure the awning arms. Better to be safe than sorry. I now use the large velcro straps on mine just in case something isn't right. Murphy's Law you know.

It's not unsecured arms that cause the unfurling; the roller lock fails and the awning unrolls with the arms in place. Velcro/snap-ties around the arms will not prevent unfurling.

securing an awning

We are new BC3300RL owners:) , also new to this computer tech stuff.
It is so very important to do a visual inspect of your unit while travelling, at regular intervals! Our friend was traveling behind an RV, who had their awning unravel, (terrible winds) causing the arm of the unit to break off, sending it thru our friends front windshield!!None
He was off work for 5 1/2 months.

BluegrassMan

Guys:
Just a FYI, my awning doesn't need replaced, just the anchor brkts, a metal rail, etc. about $50 for parts, the rest is labor, the bill came to $1041.30 !!! I reckon some of it is for repairing the gelcoat etc. I'd hate to see what it would have been replacing everything !!! Hooray for Insurance!