Sheet metal behind slide seal

Willym

What is the purpose of the smal pieces of sheet metal behind the floor slide seal? These pieces are attached to the edge of the trailer floor at the roller locations. I ask because they are causing some problems.

First problem was previously reported by me on here. It was in the rear corner where the piece of sheet metal had damaged the 12 volt cables going through the slide floor. My dealer has now rerouted those cables so that they are clear of the sheet metal when the slide is in.
I also got my dealer to replace the entire floor seal on the trailer side because it was becoming detached at one location. I notice now that the seal is becoming caught in another piece of sheet metal that covers one of the rollers in the centre of the slide. I suspect that when the slide is in, the seal is being pushed into the gap between the top of the sheet metal and the slide floor and getting caught there. When the slide is taken out, the seal catches and distorts. Should the sheet metal be shortened, or maybe it is too short allowing for the seal to get between it and the floor.

Can you please advise? I can't easily take a photo at this time unfortunately.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bill, are you refering to the sheet metal over the tires on the body of your LM? If so, they are there to protect the bottom of the slides from rocks or debris damaging the slide bottoms. Yours may not be cut or installed properly. JMHO

beardedone

Beardedone
I had trouble with the bottom seal on our kitchen slide as was rubbing against an improperly position roller when closed. The cure was to build up the area under the seal so it was extended about 1/2" and then put better quality seal on. It has worked well.

Willym

Bill, are you refering to the sheet metal over the tires on the body of your LM? If so, they are there to protect the bottom of the slides from rocks or debris damaging the slide bottoms. Yours may not be cut or installed properly. JMHO
Thanks Bob, but I am referring to the small pieces of sheet metal attached to the body just to the outside of the slide support rollers. You can't see them unless you pull back the fixed floor seal for the slide.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I had a rubber seal on the bottom of one of my slides catching the roller when the side was moving and it took a section out of the rubber seal. When they replaced the seal they just cut off about a 1/2" the length of the seal so it would not catch any more. Works great and seals great.

BC

Willym

I would still like an answer to my original question from someone at the factory if possible.

K

karykatz

Willym,

the small pieces of metal are to hold floor seal in place when the slide room comes in and out. Without these pieces the floor seal willflip over the rollers and tear. I hope this helps.

Willym

Willym,

the small pieces of metal are to hold floor seal in place when the slide room comes in and out. Without these pieces the floor seal willflip over the rollers and tear. I hope this helps.

Thanks Kary, that's what I thought they were for, but wasn't 100% sure. I think now that one of my sheet metal pieces is not large enough, and the seal is getting picked up by the roller as the slide reaches the in position. I'll get my dealer to look at it again in the spring.