Shock Absorbers

Gary521

I have a Bighorn 3055 and would like to change the angle of the shocks. I replaced the stock shocks with Monroe last year and also replaced the 3000lb springs with 3300 lb springs. The reason for the shock replacement was that the stock shocks appeared to be shot and they were bent. After one year, the new shocks are also bent. The solution appears to be changing the angle of the shocks. Lippert sells shock mounts which I can weld on the frame on three of the four shocks. On the off door side, the slide shaft that runs parallel with the frame interferes with changing the angle. Does anyone have a solution for this or have a better idea for changing the shock angle?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I couldnt get my 4th shock mounted vertical because of the slideout blocked the side of frame. Not a ideal angle but I used a 3" u-bolt and angle iron to bracket my last shock.

I used the Monroe PDF to find the shock to work for my application, then took the part mumber and searched online. (4 shocks were $38 total)
http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/english/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf

Attachments

• PICT0028.JPG
    PICT0028.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Gary521

Thanks for the pictures and the ideas. This is great. Westxrst10, I see you mouted an upper shock mount on the spring hanger. This gave me an idea. Perhaps I can weld on a fabricated shock mount on the frame in front of the hanger to get a better angle on the shock. It looks like there is a hole in the welded on mount. Did you try to attach to the spring bolt? I assume that these shocks are from a Monroe catalog. If so, how do you use the catalog? I will get three shock mounts from Lippert and the fourth have to make the mount. I do not have enough room to add anything to the existing shock mount like jpajax did. I see that both of you guys do not have wet bolts on your springs. I HIGHLY recommend doing this. If you do not, the spring shackles will wear very fast. I also has a shot metal bushing in the EquaFlex because there was no way to lube it before the wet bolt add.