Suspension Shock failures

Hi folks. We have a 2009 Bighorn 3670RL that continually has rear shock failures. We are on a our 3rd set of rear shocks as well as our second set of suspension springs. All the work had been done at a certified trailer repair facility. The technician suggested that the trailer suspension system is woefully inadequate (his opinion) but must obviously be to "minimal" code requirements.
During the our last trip, we experienced a port side rear tire blow out on our Chinese tires on the February Ohio\Michigan pot holes of I75. (a new "very expensive" set of 4 Goodyears are now on) The axles and suspension system were checked out and found that the centring bolt (starboard rear) for the springs had snapped and both rear shocks were broken. The axle had shift back out of alignment on one side - the starboard side Everything was replaced in Ohio/Michigan along I75 on the one of the coldest days in February!

Had the suspension system checked again today in anticipation of our late December trip south, and found that once again, the rear axle springs (after only 5,000 km trip) are flattened out and both of the rear shocks have bent lower spindles (~+20degrees) The previous 2 sets of shocks that also failed had the lower spindles snapping off. The technician suggested doing without the shocks but that was one of the suspension features of the Heartland Bighorn that encouraged us to invest in the Heartland.
We travel with empty tanks and minimal groceries and clothing. I have had the trailer weighed and the dry weight is ~12,600 lbs. The rear axle has a very slight bend in it but still within acceptable limits.
Appreciate suggestions and recommendations on how to eliminate this continual frustrating maintenance repair.

jnbhobe

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Suspension Shock failures

On your way to Flordia make an appointment with Mor-Ryde and have IS installed, you'll never have a problem again. While your at it have them install disc brakes.

danemayer

I was asking because breaking a spring mounting bolt is not all that common. It might be that the bolt broke, leading to the springs and shocks also getting damaged. You may also have had axle damage from whatever broke the bolt. That could in turn have contributed to the blowout.

My distant recollection of physics is that Force = Mass * Velocity. A combination of bad road surface and high speed creates significant force. I know that when construction crews post a BUMP warning sign, if I don't slow down a lot, the truck and trailer will go flying when I hit the bump.

One solution might be to upgrade the axles and suspension to better deal with the bad roads. Another might be to slow down a bit.

caissiel

On my first trip from Canada to Florida I experience a similar experience of breaking a center pin on one side of the rear axle. My observation was that the shackles had loosen and I struck something.
I ordered new springs, larger spring plates and 9/16" u-bolts from heartland and replaced all 4 springs only to find out that the W curve is a normal thing for the normally unloaded flat springs as used on the over the axle application.
So I kept the old springs since they were new to me. I use to carry spares with the previous unit so still do it with this BC. In addition my unit had 6000lbs plates and u-bolts on 7000lbs axles.
The shocks were flat to me so I relocated the top of shock location to change the angle to standard of 60deg. Then I balanced my 5 wheels.
That was the last maintenance required since and everything is snug. I did change the 4 shocks last winter due to failures caused by the previous bad alignment causing the shafts to bend and eventually cause them to leak oil.
Checked all the bushings after 4 years and everything looked great but changed the bushings anyway so the undercarriage not need further repairs for a while.
My experience with previous trailer was constant spring repairs due to unbalanced tires so for this one it has been great from the first year after tires were balanced.

jnbhobe

Another thing to look at since you broke a center bolt is are the U-bolts and center bolts torqued right, shackle bolts too.

jbeletti

I don't have any eperience with this, nor have I heard any customer feedback, but something new on the market in terms of shocks/mounts.

Joy Rider - link

kkamshop

We had that problem with our 2009 Landmark. The shock mounts where welded in the wrong place on the frame.

hoefler

Also make sure your tires are balanced. An out of balance or bad tire will wreck havoc on any suspension.