Shocks have disconnected from frame

TheChews

I have a 2015 Bighorn 3570RS. I crawled under my rig today and noticed the left front, and right rear shocks are disconnected from where they mount to the lower bracket and leaf springs over the axle.

There appears to be no damage. It appears that the nuts (which face down) came loose and fell away, along with the spacer and end cap/washers.

I called Heartland and was told not to drive the rig, they would pay for a mobile repairman to come out etc.

The problem is I am in Ft Pierce FL- an apparent desert for call out mobile repairmen who do this kind of work. I've even called mobile automotive companies and no one will do the work either because it's warranty, they are too busy, or I am too far away.

Do you guys think I am safe to die the 20 highway miles to the closest RV repair center to get this warranty repaired?

Jim.Allison

Yes there are many that do not use shocks at all. The function of shocks is to dampen the oscillation of the springs, so if you drive over a rough piece of road the bouncing wheel is dampened. I don't advocate operation on a continuous basis, but 20 miles is not of consequence, if you hit a rough spot in teh road just drive slower.
I have a 2015 Bighorn 3570RS. I crawled under my rig today and noticed the left front, and right rear shocks are disconnected from where they mount to the lower bracket and leaf springs over the axle.

There appears to be no damage. It appears that the nuts (which face down) came loose and fell away, along with the spacer and end cap/washers.

I called Heartland and was told not to drive the rig, they would pay for a mobile repairman to come out etc.

The problem is I am in Ft Pierce FL- an apparent desert for call out mobile repairmen who do this kind of work. I've even called mobile automotive companies and no one will do the work either because it's warranty, they are too busy, or I am too far away.

Do you guys think I am safe to die the 20 highway miles to the closest RV repair center to get this warranty repaired?

TheChews

I see, good info. I am also worried about the shocks may have failed which left no pressure on the nuts, allowing them to rattle loose.

Birchwood

Most trailers don't have shocks.I broke a shock,removed it and also the other side shock on same axle
and drove to Florida from Canada.No problems !Had 4 new ones installed when I returned to Canada.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I see, good info. I am also worried about the shocks may have failed which left no pressure on the nuts, allowing them to rattle loose.
Found our shock nuts loose after about 2k miles (might have been that way from the start?). I tightened them up and no issues since (another 10k miles). The upper spacers look like they need replacing though, squished and cracked. (2014 Bighorn 3570RS)

Hunter11

The Chews,

Below is a link for Monroe replacement shocks. We picked our unit up and pulled it 1400 miles home and when I inspected the shocks two of the bottom nuts were only hand tight and the stock shocks had no resistance at all. I ordered 4 new Monroe shocks and urethane bushings and replaced the junk that was on the trailer. You might want to look at replacing yours at some point with better quality shocks and bushings. I also put lock nuts on after the regular nuts so they could not back off. If I remember correctly I spent about $175 for everything and it took about an hour to change all four. Does the trailer ride better, probably due to the fact the stock shocks had no resistance to them and the Monroes felt like a shock should. Rather it did help or not I know I have four good shocks under it with better bushings than rubber that will crack and split.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/46513-Monroe-Shocks-555001-vs-555025?highlight=monroe+shocks

wdk450

Use some sort of threadlocker, or nylon insert nuts, on the shock threaded ends to keep the nuts on. They get a lot of mechanical action.

mikeandconnie

Mine came off also only after a few months of purchase. I went by a Sears repair shop and they let me look at there old removed shocks. I found the rubber spacer, washers and nut. They let me have them to get me on the road again. Check a garage that replaces shocks, they should have what you need.

pegmikef

Found our shock nuts loose after about 2k miles (might have been that way from the start?). I tightened them up and no issues since (another 10k miles). The upper spacers look like they need replacing though, squished and cracked. (2014 Bighorn 3570RS)

I remember that Bret and when you found that I checked mine since our rigs were made within a month of each other. Must be the luck of the draw because mine were good then and 13 K miles later they still look good. I am having the bearings repacked and everything inspected next week and have anything fixed that needs it. The place I use is a custom trailer fabricator and they are really thorough.

TheChews

Elaine from Heartland took great care of me. Parts are being shipped tomorrow and they are paying for the service call.

I found a mobile guy who verified the problem was a Dexter design flaw (no lock nuts). The shocks are still working but I will get the upgrade shocks when I reach my summer destination.

Thanks for the assist everyone!