Shore power, extension cord

Smitty325

My RW427, is parked a few stalls away (In storage) from another Heartland product, as we wait for another opportunity to be free. We are offered 30amp service, which I use to keep my batteries charged as my refrigerator runs off the inverter. As I was working on my coach today I noticed my neighbor was using a standard 50' outdoor extension cord, instead of the big 50amp cable with the dog bone. I thought, who is the dummy here. This fellow found a way to energize his power network with a cord like I use to run my hedge trimmer. Nobody would ever consider stealing that cord when they could have my expensive 50amp cord. I gotta know how he did that. Who can help?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

With a good extension cord you could keep your batteries charged and run your fridge. Get something good.

Jim M

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You can get one of several different 50 amp to 110 adapters. Here's one I'd use
fb3b3703681fb6c41636c5cfd5d8279f.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

fastcarsspeed

Oh that is great. We leave ours plugged in at home to just 110 to keep the fridge and battery charged. This would allow me to keep my power cable in the storage bin.

LBR

This is the simple adapter I use all the time....when we are traveling I keep it, a short extension cord, and the 2K Yamaha in truck bed for the evening battery recharging session at our nightly layover. First thing in the morning, another quick charging before hitting the road keeps batteries happy...we have the residential frig.

porthole

Retired
If you already have the cord for the length you need you can get whatever connectors you want to use on Amazon as well as other places.

Your choice, buy 15 amp male to 50 amp female dog bone or make you own.

Since I live near and have used local marinas for years that is always a source of cords.
Not unusual to have the 30 amp cord sets have the ends charred to the point of being unusable. People buy new cord sets and throw away the old. Cut the ends off and you have 50' extension cords.
Same way with yard sales or craigslist posting in the "water" areas.

Smitty325

If I am to plug this into the coach...at the coach I need a male 50am to male 15amp...right? The one pictured is 50 female to male 15, unless I read it wrong

Smitty325

The goal is to use a standard outdoor power cord instead of leaving the expensive 50amp cord on the ground for someone to take it. So, a simple 15amp adapter to the 30amp service takes care of one end, now I have to figure out how to adapt to the coach.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
You can get the adapters at Camping World and at Walmart in the RV Accessories section.

Our Prowler is 30 amp, but they have both 30 and 50 amp adapters.

I have the 30 amp version of this one I picked up at the local neighborhood Walmart:

RVpowerDogboneAtWalmart.jpg
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Road-Pow...ategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=WMGojeGq-LRPM9tJKbNNNI

I have a heavy duty 100-foot extension cord that I made several years ago that I plug directly into the CFI plug in our garage to run the trailer while parked here at the house (which is whenever we are not on the road).

The only thing I don't run is the AC, although I do use the AC fan to vent the trailer when needed.

SNOKING

We are going to the Balloon Fiesta at Albuquerque this fall, staying at the balloon park without power. So we sold our Honda eu1000i and purchased a new eu2000i to power the larger converter in the Bighorn. I have a 50 amp power reel, 50 amp to 30 amp dog bone, and the small black molded 30 to 15 amp adapter. I made up a short 3 foot 15 amp 12 gauge extension cord, to keep cord weight off the Honda's outlet receptacle.

I did find that I had to put the PI surge protector in bypass while on generator while testing. Chris

porthole

Retired
If I am to plug this into the coach...at the coach I need a male 50am to male 15amp...right? The one pictured is 50 female to male 15, unless I read it wrong

I would recommend getting a 12 gauge extension cord in the length you need. Can't beat Costco for that.

Buy this and use as an adapter.

Or

I would recommend getting a 12 gauge extension cord in the length you need. Can't beat Costco for that.

Buy this replacement receptacle, cut the female end off the 12 gauge extension cord and add the new 50 amp receptacle, jumping the two line terminals when you wire it.
That will give you a smaller extension cord to deal with, easier to manage and you will get 15 (or 20) amps to both legs of your coach (15 or 20 amps total, not 15 or 20 on each leg).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00192QB9...EFA1M4RK0T7G7B1C0&ie=UTF8&qid=1500824939&sr=2

- - - Updated - - -

I did find that I had to put the PI surge protector in bypass while on generator while testing.

Get a repair - replacement receptacle.

Make a short jumper between the neutral and ground.
Plug this into the unused generator outlet.

The PI is looking for a bonded neutral & ground. The Honda portable (as are many others) have an open neutral ground.

This will also work if you are using a portable generator at home to run a high efficiency water heater for 13 days because you have no power due to some little weather event.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I do have a 15-foot 30 amp RV extension cord, but have never had to use it yet.

Almost had to use it at the Ft. Collins HOC Rally last June had I parked the Prowler about a foot back from where it was.

ProwlerFtCollinsHOC2017-P6030878.jpg

SNOKING

Get a repair - replacement receptacle.

Make a short jumper between the neutral and ground.
Plug this into the unused generator outlet.

The PI is looking for a bonded neutral & ground. The Honda portable (as are many others) have an open neutral ground.

This will also work if you are using a portable generator at home to run a high efficiency water heater for 13 days because you have no power due to some little weather event.

Thanks I will give that a try. I would rather not bypass the PI and forget to switch it back online. Chris