Shore power to gen input of ATS

Hotrodbud

The electrical pedestal at our seasonal camp site is 15 ft forward of our BH 3670RL. I have to have a 20ft extension cord plus the 35 ft off the reel to reach the pedestal. We do not have a generator, but the BH is wired for one. I'm thinking of wiring plug into the generator box in the front compartment, and inputting shore power there. Another advantage would be that I could put my portable EMS-PT50 surge protector in the front compartment. So, does the PD52 ATS really care if shore power is on the generator input fulltime? Does the ATS have a normally closed contact? From what I have read, the relay has to "engage" for either input. Anyone have an opinion?

danemayer

Hi Hotrodbud,

From the PD52 manual:

When power is applied to the shore side, the contactor activates and supplies power to the panel.
 When power is applied to the Gen side there is a 20-45 second delay then the Gen side contact will activate, power will go to the panel from the Gen side and the shore side will be locked out.
 If shore power returns while the Gen power is present, nothing will happen. When the Gen power is removed the contactor will drop out and allow the shore side to supply power.
 Generator overrides shore power.
 In a single leg application the HOT1 side must be used for the control circuitry to work.

Based on that, the contactor activates for either shore power or generator power.

TedS

The contacts are normally open. The ATS does not know what the power source is. It closes the contacts to whichever side power is applied with preference given to gen side if power is applied to both at the same time.