Short in 12V System affecting Fridge

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We just had an issue with a short that dropped power to our fridge and large slide lights blowing the 15amp fuse. Took a technician a while to find but discovered that at the back of the fridge there is a loop in wiring, covered in what appears as a rubber sleeve, that in the event of a fire is supposed to burn and cut power. The way this loop in a sleeve was mounted it was rubbing on a very sharp edge of tin and would short out the circuit. The tech just moved it a little to prevent contact with the sharp edge. Hope you understand this and helps anybody in the future. Doug

wdk450

Doug:
I don't know if you thought of this, but if the 12 volts DC to the refrigerator is cut, there is an electric valve on the propane line to the refrigerator that will cut off the supply of propane gas (to the fire).

BTW, I had the same sort of problem, and found that on mine the 12 volt supply comes to a terminal strip on the back of the refrigerator, and then another set of supply wires going to the range hood area are connected to the same terminal screws.
I believe my refrig has a thermal cutout switch in the boiler chimney area that functions like your loop of wire.