Another Residential Fridge Install Experience

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Good looking job! I put in the same fridge just under two years ago and we love it. What kind/size inverter are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MIKEGELLO

Thanks! Yeah we love it too!! No inverter as of yet. I use the Honda eu3000is generator on the back hitch. Works great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oregon_Camper

Thanks! Yeah we love it too!! No inverter as of yet. I use the Honda eu3000is generator on the back hitch. Works great!!

So, how do you power it while driving down the road? Guessing you could just leave it off while traveling, but that wouldn't be my first choice.

MIKEGELLO

Honda eu3000is on the hitch which is nice for rest areas for a/c as well

MIKEGELLO

e9562ac38a6e7f6bc60420f08b8c689d.jpg

avvidclif

So, how do you power it while driving down the road? Guessing you could just leave it off while traveling, but that wouldn't be my first choice.

I keep seeing that quote about not liking leaving it off. Here's my story.When the tornadoes came thru Canton, Tx the end of April my daughter called abt 5PM on Sat telling me the power was out. We were out of town and didn't get back home til after 5PM on Sunday. The fridge and freezer had been off over 24 hrs and I was prepared to throw away a lot of food. I lost nothing, fridge or freezer. The fridge was still cold with the freezer side frozen and the freezer was still frozen. Granted neither the fridge or freezer either one had been opened in that period of time but it illustrates how long a modern fridge will keep cool IF it's not opened. For me a 4-5 hour drive if I had a residential fridge in my RV wouldn't bother me at all. I don't have one because I can't find one that will fit.

My 2 cents.

MIKEGELLO

I hear you on that. However we're on the road for 2+days and are constantly in and out of fridge

Oregon_Camper

I keep seeing that quote about not liking leaving it off. Here's my story.When the tornadoes came thru Canton, Tx the end of April my daughter called abt 5PM on Sat telling me the power was out. We were out of town and didn't get back home til after 5PM on Sunday. The fridge and freezer had been off over 24 hrs and I was prepared to throw away a lot of food. I lost nothing, fridge or freezer. The fridge was still cold with the freezer side frozen and the freezer was still frozen. Granted neither the fridge or freezer either one had been opened in that period of time but it illustrates how long a modern fridge will keep cool IF it's not opened. For me a 4-5 hour drive if I had a residential fridge in my RV wouldn't bother me at all. I don't have one because I can't find one that will fit.

My 2 cents.

While I seem some similarities, I don't think a refrigerator in your house is the same comparison as one in your RV, that is up against a wall that is (sometimes) directly facing the sun. The side of the RV can get really hot vs the heat surrounding your home refrigerator.

Bacteria will start to grow at 40 degrees....that seems like a temp that can be reached rather quickly if a refrigerator is off for an extended period.

I have no real world knowledge on this. We dry camp and run our refrigerator on propane while driving (yea...that is a whole other topic)

MIKEGELLO

Here's what I found. With no A/C in in trailer, the generator stalled for some reason. From one rest stop to the next the fridge was already at 52 degrees and the freezer went from 2 degrees to 16 and that was only in about a hour to hour and a half

rxbristol

I've never installed an inverter. On short trips and if the weather is not hot, the fridge maintains its temperature. If the trip is long (5 hours or more) or hot weather 90's+, I use the generator for the last two or three hours to keep the fridge cold and also run an air conditioner so the inside is cool upon arrival. This method also has the benefit of exercising the generator.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what I found. With no A/C in in trailer, the generator stalled for some reason. From one rest stop to the next the fridge was already at 52 degrees and the freezer went from 2 degrees to 16 and that was only in about a hour to hour and a half

The internal fridge temperature "gauge" does not read correctly when power has been removed and started back up. I found this out one time by turning off the fridge and powering it back on, the temperature readout went from 36 to 48 within the two minutes power was off. I put in a fridge thermometer and it showed more accurate readings...it maintains its temperature. The fridge gauge is accurate once it has been running for sometime.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I'll compare traveling with the refrigerator turned off to anyone who has or still goes really camping. For years, since I was a kid, while camping, our only refrigeration was a Coleman cooler and a block of ice. That cooler was in and out of the car and sat on the picnic table day and night. Also, 30-40 years ago food items weren't pasteurized and packaged as they are today and we certainly weren't experiencing food losses then! Furthermore, At my grandfather's cabin, many years ago, the refrigerator was the spring house! Anything perishable either sat in the spring water or above it on a shelf.
IMO folks today are "soft" compared to what previous generations endured and that to think no refrigeration for a few hours is detrimental to "whatever" are making a "mountain out of a molehill"...
FWIW, We travel with the fridge off unless it is a long travel day with very high temperatures.

carl.swoyer

What happens if you forget to flip the switch.?
Does your inverter have a built in transfer switch.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I installed an Automatic Transfer Switch on mine. As soon as I hook up to shore power it automatically switches to shore power. I've never forgotten to turn off the inverter though.