Shout Out for Dexter Axle

scottyb

Last weekend when I was re-packing the bearing on my Cyclone, I discovered that one of the springs and adjuster had cam loose and was floating around inside the hub. I went to get some replacement parts and to get the hub turned. The parts guys said I should give Dexter a call, so I did. I had my "build sheet" and my VIN and they ended up shipping me a whole new brake assembly and a new hub. I called them last Thu afternoon and they arrived today.

F5erman

I have a 2014 heartland wilderness with Dexter axles on it, it has less than 700 miles on it and with a 3 week holiday planned we found our rear axle bent. When we bought the trailer, we spoke to another owner with the same issue. Hope this is not he start of a nightmare trailer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimtoo

I have a 2014 heartland wilderness with Dexter axles on it, it has less than 700 miles on it and with a 3 week holiday planned we found our rear axle bent. When we bought the trailer, we spoke to another owner with the same issue. Hope this is not he start of a nightmare trailer
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi F5erman,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

How did the axle get bent, is it something you can see or something someone told you? If you parked and looked at it after backing up in a turn it will look bent until you move it forward and back in a straight line to relieve the pressure from the wheels.

They have been very good at taking care of problems, so if it is actually bent you need to call your dealer.

Jim M

MikeR

Last weekend when I was re-packing the bearing on my Cyclone, I discovered that one of the springs and adjuster had cam loose and was floating around inside the hub. I went to get some replacement parts and to get the hub turned. The parts guys said I should give Dexter a call, so I did. I had my "build sheet" and my VIN and they ended up shipping me a whole new brake assembly and a new hub. I called them last Thu afternoon and they arrived today.

Backing into the driveway after arriving home from our last trip, my wife said that something doesn't sound right from the front wheel on the door side. I had her drive it slowly while I walked next to the wheel. It sounded like a break shoe rubbing on the drum. Since the brakes are auto adjusting, I thought that I should have the dealer look at it. Once the drum was removed, you could see that the spring that holds the adjuster in place had let go. The drum was scored on the face, the magnet was scored from something rubbing on it. The adjuster which is round with teeth was actually worn flat on one side.

I took pictures of all the worn parts, went home and called Dexter. They needed the axle serial number. I gave them the number and emailed photos. They gave me a claim number and said to fax them a copy of the bill and I would be reimbursed for the costs of the repair.

Dexter was very easy to work with. All Dexter parts have a two year warranty.

F5erman

Hi Jim. Thanks for the welcome.

Got two new axles under the trailer how, made in a local suppression shop with top notch reputation. Have no idea beside maybe quality issues why the axles went, had only used the trailer for local camping trips. Just my luck that someone noticed the wheel sitting at an angle and said something. When I looked, the rear tire had already worn the inside tread bad, and you could see the bend in the axle. Was heading to Oregon coast, about 1000 mile one way trip.

Thankfully my dealer and the suspension shop went out of their way to get us back on the road. I was told by the dealer that I was lucky the axles were from dexter, as the other manufacture is a nightmare to get anything from. Lost 4 days and some prepaid reservation fees due to their cancelation policies.

Will be back in next week to get the tire replaced and to see what they can do with the front door delimitation issue.