Show us your first RV . . .

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I was looking through some digital photos from the early days of digital and I ran across a shot taken in 2006 of our first 'Tent On Wheels'.

We owned this 1978 Coachman Cadet 24 for 14 years and dragged it around Colorado and New Mexico a bunch!

We have friends that lived in the mountains in Woodland Park, CO that let us store it there for a few years, which is where this was taken:

CoachmanTTWoodlandPark-P1070824.jpg

It was all beat up and falling apart . . . full of hail dings . . . nothing worked except the stove, furnace and electric (at least we lived it up with television :cool: ) . . . had several recurring leaks . . .

I had nicknamed it "Trailer Trash" . . . but we sure had a lot of fun with it over the years!

Camper10767.jpg Campsite-IMGP0810.jpg TruckCamperGlewoodSprings-P1050162.jpg Campout-campsite-Dscf0069.jpg CampSite-P9030033.jpg SandDunesCampsite-P8167070.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan_B

Our first RV was a 1996 Sunline 23' travel trailer. We used it for 16 years and pulled it all over Michigan, the east coast, Florida and out west.

Sunline was a very well built line of trailers. The bunk beds worked well for the kids. The only downside was the "adult" bed, as we had to fold down the dinette every night into the bed.

Attachments

• interior_3.jpg
    interior_3.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 115
  • interior_1.jpg
    interior_1.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 116
  • exterior_1.jpg
    exterior_1.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 114

JohnD

Looking pretty cool!

Those older trailers had a totally different look to them inside and out that I kinda' miss (but don't really want to go back, though).

Our Coachman was a 26-footer, and the main bed was also the dinette in front, plus it had a flip-down double bunk above it, and along the center of the trailer had two bunks on each side of the isle way, with the bathroom along the back wall.

I've got some inside photos somewhere . . .

I'll look them up when I get back from Lowe's and finish my outside project before it gets up to 90 degrees today!

By the way . . . we are originally from Jackson, Michigan . . . been out here in Colorado since 1995.

farside291

I don't have any digital pictures but ours was a 1971, 8 foot StarCraft pop up. My Father-in-Law gave it to my DW and I as a wedding gift in 1982. It was fancy, ice box for dry ice, cold water hand pump and best of all...a pull out sink and stove top to the outside. No running water, no toilet, no AC, no refrigerator and foam cushions for sleeping. We kept it for 10 years and it was better than the tent we were using.

shelsay

No pictures, but our first RV as a Four Winds truck camper we bought new, probably 1973 or 74. It was really well equipped for the time--but no hot water, no heat, just a small room for porta-potty. We had great fun with it, but after a three-week trip up to Canada with our two young children during which it rained every day including the last when we returned to Fresno in August, I knew I needed more comfort and room. I told Dave I loved rving but had to have a full bathroom. So we bought our first trailer, a 24 foot Fireball. We had it for 18 years and everything still worked!! (We did, of course, have to change out tires and battery.) Only traded it because we wanted an actual bed and not jacknife sofa.

Pat

pjones1969

First

2011 Palomino Puma Unleashed Toy Hauler

9967e56e742670eb92276b0b0babda60.jpg

On my 3rd one now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Posz

Sorry no digital pictures, but our first travel trailer was a '74 Shasta 16 foot purchased in '91 or '92. We modernized it by removing the tail fins and had to evict mice and do a host of other repairs. Similar rigs are sold today as "retro" - with tail fins. Took it clear to Boston first summer and out west to Grand Canyon and Vegas second summer. No A/C, of course. Moved up a year later to a 19 foot with A/C and kept on trading up.Jim

JohnD

Still lookin' for those inside shots of our old Coachman, but I did find this shot of it on top of Molas Pass, CO:

CoachmanOnMolasPass-P8207612.jpg

That thing was a beast.

Dreamer7

Still lookin' for those inside shots of our old Coachman, but I did find this shot of it on top of Molas Pass, CO:

View attachment 52495

That thing was a beast.

I wonder what the weight of that camper was! It looks back heavy! Omygosh, our first RV was like a 12-14 foot trailer. When we pulled into one campground I heard a little boy say now that's a little camper!! Lol. We had just bought a frozen pizza at a stop and go type place (we were in the boonies) only to find there was no over in the camper! Ha. We traded that camper after a week! They let us, no penalty to a 28ft Passport w no slides.

Mattman

Hey John, that camper wasent much to look at. But with that back ground who cares. I'd be happy if I had a pinto in the photo. When the kids are bigger I want to make it out that way. Will need a full bank of vacation days for that one. But will be worth it.

JohnD

I wonder what the weight of that camper was! It looks back heavy!

I never knew how much it weighed . . .

As for the back end, most of the weight was in the front, but the frame was bent and the door side rear end was lower than the other side, which is why it looks low in the back.

I always had trouble with that thing dragging on speed bumps and even the curb at our house when backing it in the yard.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey John, that camper wasnt much to look at. But with that back ground who cares.

I know . . .

It was always a happy day when we would stumble upon a camper at the same park as us that looked worse than ours! :cool:

PondSkum

When I was a kid, we had an old Popup.. no pics of it that I know of.. in 2012, my first son was 1.5 years old, so we decided to get one and ditch the tent life. Here's our 2012 Jayco Sport 10. It was a great little trailer, easy to tow and setup, but just wanted to go a little bigger (restroom/shower).. Sold it back in March, and bought our RW in May.. Didn't plan to make that big of a jump, but couldn't pass up the deal on the RW..

IMG_5672.jpg

WillyBill

Although this is a 2007 hunting camp photo we had already beren using this 1976 Casita 8' slide in pickup camper sitting on a little trailer since 1989. Only had an ice box and stove, no heat and no potty or shower. We used this along with our two boys until we bought our Cyclone last year, although we did put the boys outside in a tent when they got older.

Attachments

• P9080008.JPG
    P9080008.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 57

AAdams

This is our first RV that we had right before we picked it up. It was still in the bays shop getting the upgrades put in it.

DSC00194[1].JPGDSC00193[1].JPG

It was a 2009 Heartland Landmark Augusta.

Dreamer7

I never knew how much it weighed . . .

As for the back end, most of the weight was in the front, but the frame was bent and the door side rear end was lower than the other side, which is why it looks low in the back.

I always had trouble with that thing dragging on speed bumps and even the curb at our house when backing it in the yard.

- - - Updated - - -

I know . . .

It was always a happy day when we would stumble upon a camper at the same park as us that looked worse than ours! :cool:

LOL! Function over form can really get the job done!! :). Looks like you have made a ton of great memories and have seen more beauty than the average Joe!

Last edited:

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our first rig. Wow and 34' and I pulled it with a 1996 2dr Tahoe! We're lucky to have survived that one unscathed.

Attachments

• cirrux.jpg
    cirrux.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 48

Power247

'93 Coleman Bayside popup. This is the one that got it all started for us. I got it cheap from a coworker who no longer used it. We only had it for about 6 months before moving to a TT.

pic 1.jpgpic 4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Our first rig. Wow and 34' and I pulled it with a 1996 2dr Tahoe! We're lucky to have survived that one unscathed.
You could do a lot more with those older Tahoes. No way would i want to try that with a newer one!