Shower caulking or lack thereof

M-S

We have had our Sundance 3300CK since August 2010, and have always noticed that there was the presence of water outside of the shower surround but would not get on the floor of the bathroom. It always showed up when we showered. I discovered that the door sweep on the bottom of it was turned toward the outside of the shower, and if water dripped down the door, it could get outside into the track outside of the surround.

Over this past weekend, while camping at the lake, we noticed that there was discoloration of the caulking next to the surround along one of the walls. This would indicate water getting behind the caulking. The caulk just peeled away from the wall. I also noticed that there was some of the caulk peeling away from the surround on the other corner.

We will be using the camper this weekend again, so the shower will be dry and I can pull up any other caulk and will then recaulk.

Just wondering if this is a reoccuring issue for others as well as a reminder to keep check on this for others. I have not seen any damage from this lack of caulking yet, and hope to not.

Mark and Sue
Thayer, MO

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Leaking from around and under the shower enclosure was/is a fairly common occurrence. I read about it before I took possession of our rig and was able to recaulk it with silicone before we actually used it for a shower. It leaked when I tested it briefly with the hose.

The surround/enclosure manufacturer insisted at the rally last year that one should caulk along the outside of the enclosure. I found that questionable and applied it along the inside seam. There are screws that penetrate the fiberglass surround (not recommended by the manufacturer) which would allow water to get underneath and onto the bare wood below.

Some folks have completely removed the enclosure and caulked under the framing, as well.