Shower Valve Mounting Box

mbopp

Hello,

Our North Trail has a corner mounted shower enclosure with the shower valve blind-mounted directly to the wall. The valve is leaking and needs replaced but there's no access from behind since it backs up to an outside wall. Obviously the shower valve was installed in the enclosure before the enclosure was mounted in the trailer.
I plan on cutting the shower surround to remove the valve. Does anybody know what the mounting box is called, and where I could get one? It screws to the shower wall and the shower valve mounts to it.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Could you post a picture? Its inconceivable to me that that you should have to cut a hole in the shower enclosure to replace the mixer valve.

mbopp

Sorry, but the trailer's in storage.
Every other shower setup I've seen either has a mounting box or access to the back side if the valve. This has neither.

doffill

Sorry, but the trailer's in storage.
Every other shower setup I've seen either has a mounting box or access to the back side if the valve. This has neither.

I have a North Trail TT and had the same issue. The repair folks had to remove the shower enclosure to replace the faucet. I wish I had had them install a stand off or removable plate when they installed the new shower faucet.

Very poor design from the factory.

rnewk52

I had to replace the shower faucet in our Bighorn. I cut an access hole in the closet wall behind the shower, saved the piece of paneling I removed and used it to fabricate an access panel for any future repair. I don't know if this idea will work for you, but maybe it will. Good Luck. Hope you don't have to remove the shower stall.

mbopp

Dan - thanks for the link to the deck plate. I was at a trailer show last weekend and saw a unit with that type of access cover. I unscrewed the cover but couldn't get my hand up and onto the water line fittings.

doffill, yeah - a poor design. 'Course, pulling the enclosure would make me fix the mis-aligned door on the SEA enclosure.

John - nope, it backs up to an outside wall. No access there.

mbopp

Well, it's fixed. I ordered a shower mounting box from the dealer (couldn't find one on line.)
I put a cut-off wheel on my 4" angle grinder and cut through the shower wall around the diverter valve. I had a replacement diverter from a previous project so I didn't have to mess around repairing the old one. To make mounting the shower box more secure I backed it up with a few pieces of 1X2 to give the screws something to bite into. I siliconed the box before I put it together with stainless steel screws, and it looks like a factory job (or what should have been a factory job.)