Sick of Heartland Big Horn! Worst purchase we have ever made

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
And they don't pay more than once !! If the dealer doesn't do it right the first time, it's up to them to fix their mistake, they only get paid once by Heartland.

If that is the case, then why does it seem that so many dealerships have to keep redoing many warranty repairs?

You would think that the dealership would only want to fix it once . . . instead of 2, 3, or 4 or more times for the same repair?????

When I picked our Prowler up last week . . . nobody ever offered to walk me through all of the repairs they were supposed to do.

They just handed me the keys . . . and I didn't have to sign anything, either!

And before I even hitched it up I found a few things right off the bat that they didn't do right.

And when I got home . . . well, let's just say that I was much less impressed than what they told me they were capable of.

jnbhobe

Must just be the dealer then !! In the last 40yr or so my dealer has always shown me what they have done, and if something wasn't to my liking they repaired it on the spot.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
As others have said, for any service related issues after the sale, contact an accredited independent RV repair-only facility. Just have the facility and the repairs approved by Heartland prior to signing any agreement or beginning any work. End of story. Trace

ksucats

As many of you know we jumped from a SOB to our Landmark 365; would have loved to stay with the SOB brand but CW completely turned us off. It was this group that actually swayed us to our LMK. Is our Landmark perfect - absolutely not but then again, I did not expect the first trips to be trouble free. Are the issues being fixed - I hope so (the coach is at the dealers now for the bulk of the items). Was our SOB trouble free - nope - then again, as many have stated, rolling earthquakes were, and are, faced every time we travel. Someone above mentioned that the item manufacturers (Dometic, Samsung/Frigidare, LG, whomever) should announce a recall or maintenance notice. I totally agree - today Microsoft released a notice that the power cords on their earlier Surface computers have some issues. The web posting was seen and within a short while we were in the process of submitting the necessary information to get replacements. That is all these suppliers would need to do - put something out on their websites and I believe a member of our 'family' here will see it and post it for all of us to see. We can then have it checked out.

Off my soapbox. I hope everyone is safe and warm out east; if you are on the road in this great nation - may your travels be great.

Birchwood

our neighbours live in a 42 ft Newmar costing in the 300 to 400 range and they have the same problems .Perhaps a moving home is not for you?

danemayer

We've had our Landmark for a little over 5 years and have spent over 1,000 nights in it in something like 20 states, towing it something like 45,000 miles. We've used it in places where temps climbed to 108 (F) and we're now on our 6th extended ski trip in the Colorado mountains with temperatures as low as -30 (F).

We've had our share of problems over the years, but have never had a trip interrupted. Some problems were manufacturing defects where Heartland made a mistake. Others were defects where a supplier made a mistake. Others were caused by our making a mistake.

When we were under warranty, Heartland treated us very well and was extremely cooperative and helpful whether we needed something routine, or something way out of the ordinary. When two of our overhead lights had warranty failures, I asked Heartland what they would do if the rest failed after the warranty expired. Customer Service immediately arranged for the dealer to replace the other 10 light fixtures.

Heartland suppliers have also been extremely helpful and generous even after their warranties had expired. How generous? Dometic just replaced our 5 year old commode at no charge. Lippert replaced our original keyless entry parts at no charge well into our third year. Dexter stepped up and sent on-site service when we had a brake problem. When our refrigerator's cooling unit failed in our 3rd year, Dometic sent a new cooling unit at no charge. When our water pump acted up in year 2, Shurflo sent a new pump.

This forum has helped me fix problems without going to the dealer or spending a dime. For example, when my stabilizer motor quit, I was able to fix it with a ball point pen spring because someone else shared their solution.

We've made great friends at Heartland rallies and enjoy not only a sense of community, but of family. What is that worth? Can't put a price on it.

This forum is such an incredible resource. Heartland owns it and supports it. Heartland Brand Managers monitor selected areas and interact with owners. Many problems posted here get passed along to Heartland so that owners can be helped.

Do I worry about things breaking when we take our Landmark on a trip? Things do break, but I don't worry about it. It's just something to take care of.

Our Landmark didn't have to be perfect to have been a great choice for us. It's been great.

rjr6150

As others have said, for any service related issues after the sale, contact an accredited independent RV repair-only facility. Just have the facility and the repairs approved by Heartland prior to signing any agreement or beginning any work. End of story. Trace

Well stated Trace

Miltp920

We have had a pretty good experience with our Heartland Cyclone. Just a few minor trim issues inside, and dealer got us what we needed to fix them ourselves (my request). I did drop the underbelly to glue up a leaky PVC joint on the front tanks. It helps to be handy, plus we do not want our investment setting at a dealer where we have no control over what might happen to it. We did have to take it to the dealer to troubleshoot the A/C cycling. We told dealer we wanted to drop off in morning and pick up before close of business to take unit home with us. They replaced the thermostat and said if that did not fix it, they would send us some electronics box or card that is easily replaced by myself. When I told them I wanted that part, they mailed it to me. I have not swapped that part yet, because I do not want to work in outside on RV in winter. The process could have been managed on a quicker time line, but in the end, I got everything I asked for from my dealer. Also, the guy who worked on my 5er walked me through the repairs he did. AND they washed my 5er before it left the lot (all in the same day). I am very satisified with the service from Pete's RV in Indiana. Now, I am out of warranty. We are dreaming of a Landmark 365 Charleston right now. We actually want a CharlesPort, but they have not made that one yet. Wish our felllow campers did not have troubles like the OP. I am pretty sure, they all have their issues. We had a 2008 Montana that only had one issue in 4 years, a failed power inverter. The dealer picked it up, and fixed it, and brought it back to us (we did not have a tow vehicle at the time). We paid about $100 for the RV shuttle, but the work was covered. No issues, but that RV set on a seasonal lot for 4 years. Perhaps much of our issues come from the towing down the roads.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
...as many have stated, rolling earthquakes were, and are, faced every time we travel.

I don't buy in to the "rolling earthquake" scenario that always comes up here.

After all . . . we are talking RV's here . . . and their sole purpose is to be dragged down the road many times a year.

So they should be built to handle road trips . . . not built to sit on a foundation on a piece of property like our sticks and bricks houses do!

danemayer

After all . . . we are talking RV's here . . . and their sole purpose is to be dragged down the road many times a year.

So they should be built to handle road trips . . . not built to sit on a foundation on a piece of property like our sticks and bricks houses do!

I always felt that way about getting the front end of my cars aligned. After all, they're built to drive down the road and they should survive doing so.

But I found that while I could tilt at that windmill, my tires didn't wear very well if I did.

JanAndBill

While there are always "road hazards" along the way, I think this excuse is used a little to often for shoddy work or poor design

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I look at this issue as you have to be willing to do 'preventive maintenance' and normal maintenance. Just like your sticks and bricks home there are things there that have to be maintained. What aggravates me are things that break due to shoddy workmanship, such as trim falling off, fender skirts cracking due to screws being overtightened etc.

Georgia_Biker

As a result of our leaking Ice Maker water line we have wet carpets all down one side of the slide under the cabinets, under the fireplace,and under the fridge. I have a small fan I have placed in alternating spots to help dry the carpet where I can open cabinet doors and remove drawers. I am not able to remove the Residential Fridge by myself or the fireplace to get to that carpet area.

My greatest concern is the unseen damage behind the carpets. I have an appointment with my local RV Service Dealer to repair the water line and repair water damage.

In addition I have discovered the wood flooring on the center of the slide is beginning to separate.

I don't know how much good it will do but I will be contacting Heartland today for advice and help.

I don't feel I should be totally responsible for a 6 months old Big Horn.

I will let you know what happens.

danemayer

As a result of our leaking Ice Maker water line we have wet carpets all down one side of the slide under the cabinets, under the fireplace,and under the fridge. I have a small fan I have placed in alternating spots to help dry the carpet where I can open cabinet doors and remove drawers. I am not able to remove the Residential Fridge by myself or the fireplace to get to that carpet area.

My greatest concern is the unseen damage behind the carpets. I have an appointment with my local RV Service Dealer to repair the water line and repair water damage.

In addition I have discovered the wood flooring on the center of the slide is beginning to separate.

I don't know how much good it will do but I will be contacting Heartland today for advice and help.

I don't feel I should be totally responsible for a 6 months old Big Horn.

I will let you know what happens.

Hi Larry,

After you get this all straightened out, if you continue using the ice maker, you'll want to winterize the water feed line even if living in the coach. Your leak may not be related to this, but the poly line is very susceptible to freeze damage when outside temps drop. We've got some instructions in the Residential Refrigerator User Guide.

Georgia_Biker

Thanks Dan - I'll check it out - we have not been exposed to any substantial freezing temps but, then again maybe the cold weather was enough-

Georgia_Biker

Thanks for your comment Erika - I wish everything would workout OK because we really enjoy traveling, camping, and meeting our fellow travelers. The down time for shop repairs is what kills us.

I have built a really nice shed and shop for my Big Horn but, my neighbors constantly tease me because it is never there - it's in the shop-

Rhyph

I am done with Heartland and Big Horn - they are terrible!

We received our second Big Horn July 17th 2015. ( had many problems with first - should have learned) - the first trip out from the dealer after four weeks we are in Pigeon Forge, TN the Dometic rear A/C went out. We had to cut off our trip and go home.

Dometic replaced it under warranty of course but, still had to take it to the dealer at my expense.

Next trip out after three weeks we are in Shrevport, LA and the front Dometic A/C goes out. We have to cut our trip short again and head home. I contacted Dometic and made them aware of my problems - they replied that if the A/C was bad they would replace it after the dealer diagnosed it. I returned my Big Horn to my dealer ( at my expense) and after he diagnosed it they determined the A/C was bad. The Big Horn was in the dealer two months - they had many problems matching up the unit to get it to work and then the dealer damaged my Big Horn and parts had to be ordered for repairs.

We did not travel in December but left out Jan. 6th on another trip. After being in New Orleans for a week we are now in Panama City Beach with a slow leaking water line - I think it's the ice maker line. I have crawled all under the unit but cannot find where it is coming from. I called my dealer and he has an opening Feb 15th. We'll try to make do a couple more weeks until we can get back home and back to the shop again at my expense and who knows how long it will be there.

I already feel like the next time we go back out it will be something else. I have no confidence in these products and I wish I had never bought another Big Horn. We were planning a four month Mid West trip but, my wife is afraid we'll get stranded out there needing repairs. We are rethinking our trip.

I may not ever buy another 5th wheel but if I do it will not be a Heartland product and I will tell everyone I know!

Hello Georgia neighbor! I would like to know if Heartland replaced your trailer for you, or did you trade out of the original on your own? I'm at an astounding amount of issues as you can see detailed in my latest ownership story post and they haven't offered me anything other than fix, fix, fix with it well over a year and 3 months spent in the shop to date.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sounds to me like your problems were with Dometic and not Heartland. BTW you said you had to return to the dealer at your expense, I don't think your could expect Heartland to pay for your travel expenses to return to a dealer (does a car manufacturer pay your travel expenses to return to a dealer). As far as a water leak in the ice maker line you can turn off the ice maker water and continue your travel without issue and then get it repaired when you can. Good luck.

mrrocko

this was a really interesting thread. we purchased our big horn 3875 in april 2015 and we have not the major problems that some have incontered but i have had some things go bad that should have been installed corectly at heartland. now we did have a walk thru but we did not camp overnight at dealer and that was a big mistake. i worry about my a/c units going bad but have not had any problems so far, but i have talked to some owners and it seems the units with heat pumps failed. i know this forum has alot of good people on board that really love their heartland rv/s but i still see where heartland could do a much better job of quailty control. it seems like alot of owners have problems with the very thin water line that feeds the ice maker. mine leaked after about two months under the slide out i fixed myself. now the water pump is broken and the fan-tastic vent fan was installed at factory incorrectly and will not close all the way and has leaked and made water stans on celling. never could get the cable to work using cable from rv park, must be wired wrong. heartland has given me repair auth but being full time i have to find a moble rv service that is willing to due the work and wait for parts, not that easy. my first rv was a big horn 2013 did not have any real problems bought off dealers lot. the 2016 was ordered from factory and built for me. like all the trash left in the underbelly and inside the storage comp. been on the road for a year now and i hope that everything will be ok like some of the heartland owners like the heartland rv and from what i have seen at a few repair shops with brand new keystones in for major repairs on slide outs i still think heartland builds a better unit for the price