simple survey -Travel with Refrigator On?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well I guess I am the odd man out. I turn off our propane when we travel and turn off the Reefer.

I can't tell you that a fire will happen in an accident but if I turn it off then the chances are about nill. I try to listen to those with more knowledge than me and one I met sometime ago is Mac McCoy. Mac the Fire Guy. Here's his website.

[h=2]34 Fire Facts That Can Save Your Life[/h]by Mac McCoy

Item 8 - Driving with propane on can add to the danger if you are involved in an accident or have a fire. Most refrigerators will keep food cold or frozen for eight hours without running while you travel. Shut the propane off at the tank.

We hava a 5cu ft freezer in our trailer and have never had it thaw out. It only runs on AC. If you drive 10 or 20 hrs without AC power you could have things thaw out but I don't travel that far so it is no big deal.

FWIW
BC

rick_debbie_gallant

This may answer everyone's question on this. As stated earlier, I have always fully opened and back seated valve. There is no reason to have to close a valve quickly in an emergency. If a person takes their time in setting up their propane equipment properly the safety controls will work properly.

THE FOLLOWING IS A QUOTE A
MAN IN THE PROPANE BUSINESS FOR A VERY LONG TIME. TAKE THE TIME TO READ IT PLEASE. (Not yelling just a small break)

"Resolved Question: When you use a propane tank to barbecue, how much do you open the tank before you turn on the grill?"

AND STILL ANOTHER QUESTION.

There is a nob on top of the tank, and you have to turn it to open it. I was told to open it all the way, and then to turn on the grill nob and light it. Then someone said just give the tank nob a little turn and go ahead and turn on the grill nob and you will save propane. Who is right and why?
Asked by orange 2 years ago

AND HERE IS THE BEST ANSWER!

The correct procedure is as follows.
"Make sure all burner controls are off. Turn the cylinder valve on very slowly and only open it about 1/4 turn. Wait several seconds. This is because there is an excess flow valve built into the connection between the the cylinder and hose. This valve is designed to sense if the hose is cut or ruptures and will significantly reduce the flow of propane in that case. By only opening it a bit, you are only letting a small amount of gas through to the line with propane. If you hear a "click" the excess flow valve activated. You need to close the cylinder valve, wait a few seconds and start over.

Once the line is charged, you should open the valve all the way and "back-seat it gently". It is normal for a cylinder valve to have slight leakage around the threads when in mid position so we always backseat the valve. This also ensures that the excess flow valve senses full tank pressure and can do it's job properly. If you throttle the burner by only opening the valve a bit and letting a small amount of gas through, the excess flow valve will never be able to sense that there is a problem.<br />
<br />
When you are done grilling, you should close the cylinder valve first to allow the remaining fuel in the lines to be burnt off.

You will NOT save money by only opening the valve a bit, but you could cripple an important safety feature of the equipment.

Always refer to the certified installation and operation instructions for your particular appliance, and contact the manufacturer directly to clarify any concerns. What I have stated above is a general description that should cover most grills, but there may be exceptions...

Hope this helps!

21 years experience in the propane business and a licenced gas fitter.

Answer by Propane Guy 2 years ago R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
We always leave it on and in the 2 Motorhomes we had prior to this TT we left it on all the time too.

Jimmy

Re: simple survey

We always leave it on, been doing that for over 30 years...(not saying that is correct)

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired

Ours is always on too!! We leave it on at home too if we are going out again in a couple weeks!!

TeJay

Fifth rig and we always do. Another example of to many lawyers with nothing to do but dream up ways of complicating our lives. Why is it that the first 5 pages of every operations manual are Always, "Caution don't do the following dumb things or you will die." ????

TeJay

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders

Always on, even in the winter. As long as I can remember I've always heard and been told that it's best to leave refrigerators to remain on even when stored. So it's always on.

evolvingpowercat

Always on - propane.

To confirm its OK for your trailer, you can read your RV refrigerator owners manual. The vast majority of RV trailer refrigerators are designed to be operated on propane when trailer is in motion if installed correctly and maintained correctly.