Single Rear Wheel or Duals?

Stay with the Dually.
I've had both and the difference is amazing, don't go back to a SRW.
Your piece of mind is worth a lot more than 2 less wheels.
Hockster

mcolson84

I think after having your DRW you would regret switching to the single SRW. I had an 05' Dodge DRW and loved it, it was very stable. After that I had several SRW trucks and they did ok. I wasn't scared to pull a good load with them. I have been lucky to never have had a blowout with one of my SRW trucks while hauling a load though. I have had blowouts on the duallys though, and it was uneventful, just the way I like them. I don't think a dually is a necessity, but it sure is a nice insurance policy. They do suck off road in comparison though! Good luck on what ever you decide!

brianlajoie

I pull my BH 3010RE with a F-350 SRW. I've weighed the whole rig twice and other than the load range E tires (one tire is overweight cause of where the fuel tank is located), I'm underweight on all other aspects of the truck. I plan to upgrade the tires just like I did for the trailer. The trailer is also under maximum weight. I park my truck in the garage. I could not do that with a long bed or dually wheels. I believe that if you don't protect the truck from the sun (or hail), it will slowly deteriorate. I've seen the damage. I've also noticed that parking for the DRW is more limited than SRW. I may park farther away from the front door, but I'm usually within the white lines. Not so much for DRW - they usually take up more than a single space. As for stability, I've only noticed the wind when its blowing sideways big time. But then I notice that all high profile rigs have the same problem. I am also restricted from parking my truck outside in the neighborhood we live in. These were all considerations that we took into account. If my garage was six longer and four feet wider and one foot taller (I can't have cab lights - they would hit the garage door) would I buy a DRW? - maybe.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I wonder if anyone else has used the crossfire air system and how reliable it is (i.e., any problems with with the hoses, etc.).

One reason I haven't installed it is I will have to remove the plastic hubcap which will make the King Ranch truck look bad. You know my vanity lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

Thanks for all the replies. Will be placing my order this coming week. Haven't completed the review of the bids, but most likely will be the F350 Lariat with DRW. The only major difference between the new one and the current is we are going with the Supercab as compared to the Crew Cab. We don't really need a Crew Cab, but need more than the Regular Cab. Seems to be a good compromise for us.

mrudick66

I have towed a 36 ft. Everest 5th wheel from Washington to LA East to Tennessee with a Ford SRW and now have a 2011 Ford F 350 SRW towing a 3760EL Bighorn and never had any issues with stability. I retired from being a professional truck driver. It all comes down to personal preference.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

z06

One reason I haven't installed it is I will have to remove the plastic hubcap which will make the King Ranch truck look bad. You know my vanity lol

I installed them and still use my caps. Did require some fab work, but turned out good. I like the air being balanced between the two tires and I air down when not towing and back up when towing.

Attachments

• IMG_3264.jpg
    IMG_3264.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 74

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have to take a look at that to see if I can make it work.

JanAndBill

For better or worse order placed today on a 2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW. Since this will likely be the last one ton for us we chose to order exactly what we wanted. Now the waiting begins.

Bones

For better or worse order placed today on a 2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW. Since this will likely be the last one ton for us we chose to order exactly what we wanted. Now the waiting begins.
Nice. Enjoy the anxious wait now. Hopefully it wont take too long to build.

franks1

Retired Alabama Chapter Leaders
Hi Bill,We just sold our house and are going to order the same truck ourselves.What options did you get? Thanks Frank

JanAndBill

Hi Bill,We just sold our house and are going to order the same truck ourselves.What options did you get? Thanks Frank

We went with the Supercab and 8' bed. We don't really need the extra seating, but the extra space is nice. Lariat package and memory group. Didn't get the navigation. Unfitter switches for some add on toys. That's pretty much it, as the lariat package includes most of the upgrades like the leather and heated/cooled seats, rear camera etc. Surprised at the price difference on the Ford versus Chevy and Ram. Ford was almost 3k less. Also on ordered trucks Ford currently has a program where you are guaranteed to get either the current incentives ($3200) at delivery or if the incentives at delivery are more you get the higher. It's a win/win for the buyer.

NHCelt

2011 Chev. 3500 Duramax SRW with Timbren springs and Bilstein shocks easily handles my 2010 Carrriage Cameo 32-FWS and I expect similar performance when I pick up the Bighorn 3270RS. In my mind, I am at the upper limits of my trucks capabilities but within specifications.

The biggest change in towing performance came when I upgraded the trailer from E rated tires to G rated tires and added ungraded rubber shears to the mor ryde suspension. Big increase in trailer stability. I am very comfortable towing 15000 lbs and long distances with a SRW. For me, I do not want the added size of the DRW.

Hope that helps.

Celt.

mlpeloquin

If you are going long distances across country the dual rear wheels. I watched single rear wheel trucks pulling in a side wind with gusts and they were moving around. I was stable. So it depends on where and how far most of your driving will be done. It is up to you. My cousin drives semi. He also does tractor pulls. He uses single rear wheel truck to pull his trailer to the pulling contest 150 to 250 miles away. If he were going cross country, he would only use dully. So with his advice I purchase a dully and glad I did for the cross country trips we do.

Mike-n-Justina

What about a drw Dodge Mega Cab? Length would be a little shorter. That is if length is why you won't fit in the garage.

iwest7

We purchased a 2014 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Laramie Longhorn 4WD with the Aisin transmission and 3.73 gears to pull our RW425. The DRW is much more stable in the crosswinds of Oklahoma. Our Ford F250 King Ranch 4WD 6.7 Powerstroke with 3.73 gears would start to road walk > 58 mph. The Ford had plenty of power to pull the RW425, however the hitch weight was over the rear axle capacity of the truck. The Ford was outfitted with firestone air bags however you knew the trailer was back there. We have pulled the trailer in 40 - 50 mph crosswinds and the DRW handled beautifully. After experiencing the stability of the DRW I would not go back to a SRW. The Ram Mega Cab fits in our 21' garage with 3" to spare and will clear 80" (~78.5") with clearance lights.
2015 RW425RT.jpgFord F250.jpg

Bones

We purchased a 2014 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Laramie Longhorn 4WD with the Aisin transmission and 3.73 gears to pull our RW425. The DRW is much more stable in the crosswinds of Oklahoma. Our Ford F250 King Ranch 4WD 6.7 Powerstroke with 3.73 gears would start to road walk > 58 mph. The Ford had plenty of power to pull the RW425, however the hitch weight was over the rear axle capacity of the truck. The Ford was outfitted with firestone air bags however you knew the trailer was back there. We have pulled the trailer in 40 - 50 mph crosswinds and the DRW handled beautifully. After experiencing the stability of the DRW I would not go back to a SRW. The Ram Mega Cab fits in our 21' garage with 3" to spare and will clear 80" (~78.5") with clearance lights.
View attachment 43278View attachment 43279

That truck looks very familiar :) Nice set up