Single Rear Wheel or Duals?

MTPockets

We all see many anecdotal stories/testaments about SRW trucks and ability to tow "just fine for years" "no problem". Etc. Payload capacity for the actual truck is one necessary number. Mfg specs show higher than actual truck due to options and cab style. I know of more than one who ordered the SRW truck because the spec sheet said payload capacity was over 4000 lbs, in one case it was 5000 lbs... The new truck was ordered and delivered with a tag that said 3500 lbs., which is more normal. Your Big Horn fully loaded is the other weight you need to know. Not a percentage of total, but actual. My fully loaded 3055RL is 3400 lbs pin weight. We're full time, so may be heavy, but you only know with actual scaled weight. My guess is you need the DRW, but only by using actual numbers can you be sure.
PS, also payload includes passengers, hitch weight, toolbox, auxiliary fuel tank, etc
This topic always becomes an emotional discussion. "My SRW truck handles my overload without any issues". Doesn't really matter what you "feel" or "think" or "try to justify". If you are within known payload limits for your truck (not guesstimates) then you're good, if not, you need more wheels. Two tires have a limit lower than four.. It's math.

dave10a

For some strange reason the dual owners seem to be the most emotional. BTY I weighed my rig on CAT scales and there is no problem and I am very happy with the performance while towing. How ever if I pulled the new Landmarks I would have to reconsider getting a dually. But if I did decide on a heavier trailer I would consider more upscale and a F450. Meanwhile after pulling over 30,000 miles all over the USA and Canada I am very happy with the F350 SRW performance and economy.

Bones

For some strange reason the dual owners seem to be the most emotional. BTY I weighed my rig on CAT scales and there is no problem and I am very happy with the performance while towing. How ever if I pulled the new Landmarks I would have to reconsider getting a dually. But if I did decide on a heavier trailer I would consider more upscale and a F450. Meanwhile after pulling over 30,000 miles all over the USA and Canada I am very happy with the F350 SRW performance and economy.
How heavy is your pin? I had a SRW a 2500. I was over my load capacity by 1600 lbs almost by the time I had the family and a semi fully loaded trailer. I pulled the trailer just fine and it managed to stop it ok. My issue came about when I hit an upset in the road or when I had to change lanes or go around a sharp corner. The trailer's over hang of my truck would push a considerable amount of weight transfer onto one tire which would then cause the tire to go under and past the rim. When I hit transitions in the road at 65 to 68 mph my poor truck would get slammed big time when the trailer came back down. Like MTPockets/ Terry stated. Doesn't matter what people feel. If your are over the numbers your over the design. In my case I needed a bigger truck.

dave10a

How heavy is your pin? I had a SRW a 2500. I was over my load capacity by 1600 lbs almost by the time I had the family and a semi fully loaded trailer. I pulled the trailer just fine and it managed to stop it ok. My issue came about when I hit an upset in the road or when I had to change lanes or go around a sharp corner. The trailer's over hang of my truck would push a considerable amount of weight transfer onto one tire which would then cause the tire to go under and past the rim. When I hit transitions in the road at 65 to 68 mph my poor truck would get slammed big time when the trailer came back down. Like MTPockets/ Terry stated. Doesn't matter what people feel. If your are over the numbers your over the design. In my case I needed a bigger truck.

My pin weight is well under Ford's spec. My concern is with the trailer's suspension which is marginal thanks to Heartland's selection of selection of components.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Meanwhile after pulling over 30,000 miles all over the USA and Canada I am very happy with the F350 SRW performance and economy.

I would agree. I am happy with my SRW F350 but I'm only towing a 14k GVW 5er. I have the 11,500# GVW pack which probably helps. I too have weighed my rig and I could probably hitch into a 16k unit but would be at my top limit. Anything heavier I'd need to go with a dually.
Maybe my next one...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave10a

I would agree. I am happy with my SRW F350 but I'm only towing a 14k GVW 5er. I have the 11,500# GVW pack which probably helps. I too have weighed my rig and I could probably hitch into a 16k unit but would be at my top limit. Anything heavier I'd need to go with a dually.
Maybe my next one...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, that is why new Landmarks exceed the truck's specs. My next trailer will be heavier and I would go with the F450 which was built to be a dually in the first place. However the new '17 F350 SRW with the aluminum body, bigger brakes, stronger frame and more powerful engine my be Ok with the new Landmarks.

JanAndBill

JanandBill, good luck on the length. My garage was 22ft 5in in length and the new truck was 21ft 7in in length. I am now looking for a new hitch, leaning towards the B&W Companion. What hitch did/do you have on your dually and would you keep it if you upgrade to a new dually? Thanks

Have a Reese Hitch (now called a Titan series). Now that they upgraded the rubber bushing wouldn't trade it for anything. We originally had more than enough length but I built in a closet, and might have miscalculated

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Love these threads about srw vs drw. It makes me just ecstatic to be around someone who thinks I am an idiot because in their opinion I should have a dually. Drive what you drive, drive what you feel comfy driving. Do not make that a reason to look down on someone because they are not doing what you are doing. That should not be what this forum is about at all.

For the record, you folks that think you are driving a truck, you are not. It is a pick up. Has been since its inception. You are welcome.

Bohemian

Correct.

It does not matter what you feel or think.

Our best understanding of how to tow safely is the current specifications. Safety is not about being comfortable under most circumstances. It's about not harming anyone when things go bad. Irrational optimism is clearly worse than excess concern.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Love these threads about srw vs drw. It makes me just ecstatic to be around someone who thinks I am an idiot because in their opinion I should have a dually.

Drive what you drive, drive what you feel comfy driving. Do not make that a reason to look down on someone because they are not doing what you are doing. That should not be what this forum is about at all.

For the record, you folks that think you are driving a truck, you are not. It is a pick up. Has been since its inception. You are welcome.

The gas vs diesel posts are just as funny.

My next truck will be a diesel and a dually.

But my current trailering needs don't require either right now.

10 years from now . . . yes!

By the way . . . I was going to buy a diesel dually today . . . but I didn't win the powerball last night! :mad:

GOTTOYS

I'm not a fan of dually
I wasn't either. Thought they were too big and harder to drive. I was wrong. A little harder to park in a lot but i always go to the far reaches of the parking lot anyway to stay away from those idiots that bang into my doors. Harder to find a car wash it will fit through but they do exist, can't fit through a drive through in most cases. On the other hand, I don't notice any mileage differences from my previous shortbox Dodge. Might even be a little better. The stability when towing especially in a crosswind is unbelievable. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it! To me it is well worth owning one...Don

DaveTyler

Going by this thread and realized I was logged so thought I would give a nickels worth. Have had both SRW and now DRW. Also larger trailer, Big Horn 3875. I found the difference is the stability in the duals and when trucks pass they do not bother me near as much if any. I also put Load Lifter Air bags because I wanted to. The extra fuel tank added weight also. What really made the difference is the Titan Disc brakes. I feel I can stop when I need to. I agree with Don on #32 about the parking and so forth. Good luck in whatever you do! Regards. Dave

dbbls59

Bill, you are asking people with a SRW to comment. If they have never towed with a dually they do not know how much difference it makes. Personally, before I towed with a dually I would have never believed the difference..

JanAndBill

Bill, you are asking people with a SRW to comment. If they have never towed with a dually they do not know how much difference it makes. Personally, before I towed with a dually I would have never believed the difference..

Don, I've towed a lot of different trailers, with single rear wheel trucks, but never one as tall and long as our current 5th wheel. The stability factor with the dual wheels, is superior to what my mind remembers towing with the single wheel :cool:

DWW

I have pulled campers and loaded cattle trailers with SRW AND DRW trucks. The DRW is far superior for stability.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When we had our 1999 Ford F350 SRW we towed both an Alfa Gold 40' fifth wheel and our previous Landmark 40'. Then we got our 2012 F350 Dually. We towed our previous Landmark 40' and our current Landmark 43'. The biggest difference I see is the stability with the dually being much more stable IMHO. The other thing I always worried about is having a blowout or flat on the truck rear with the SRW. Although it never happened (thank goodness) I was always concerned about it. With the dually I don't worry as much. The worst thing about the dually is checking and airing up the inner tire on the rear. It is a PITA to deal with. I recently bought the crossfire air system although I haven't installed them yet.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our Prowler is nowhere near as big and heavy as some of the 5'vers here, but last Thursday when I towed it home from the dealership (warranty issues) we were having strong winds (up to 65mph) and I almost decided to wait until the next day.

But there was snow in the Friday forecast so I went up and there and on the drive home (with my SRW) I didn't even notice the wind gusts, even when being passed by big semi trucks on I-25.

pegmikef

The worst thing about the dually is checking and airing up the inner tire on the rear. It is a PITA to deal with. I recently bought the crossfire air system although I haven't installed them yet.

I wonder if anyone else has used the crossfire air system and how reliable it is (i.e., any problems with with the hoses, etc.).

avvidclif

Our Prowler is nowhere near as big and heavy as some of the 5'vers here, but last Thursday when I towed it home from the dealership (warranty issues) we were having strong winds (up to 65mph) and I almost decided to wait until the next day.

But there was snow in the Friday forecast so I went up and there and on the drive home (with my SRW) I didn't even notice the wind gusts, even when being passed by big semi trucks on I-25.

I think you just discovered the BIG advantage to a 5th wheel trailer. I will never have another BP. As for SRW vs DRW, depends on what you are towing and the weight. No question abt the DRW being more stable. I have a SRW because that's what the dealer made a "I couldn't walk away from it" deal on. We were kicking tires and left with a new truck.