Slide and floor bottoming out and contacting tires

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We are here at Cherry Creek with the Colorado HOC gang!

Wish you were here with us!

The tires are Hi Run's...

JohnD

Well . . . we decided to make the change and traded in our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner for a 2015 Heartland Prowler P292 5th-wheel trailer today.

We are at the 2015 Colorado HOC Spring Shakeout Campout right now, so tonight will be the last night we spend in the Trail Runner on the road before doing the swap in two weeks.

At least the next owner of this trailer will be good to go for a long time as far as the axles and springs are concerned.

Plus, the new trailer has BlowMax tires on it, so will be swapping those with the brand new ones I just put on the Trail Runner as they are the same size.

I'll still post the photos of the repairs when we get home as the wifi here in the park is terrible and I'll be lucky to stay connected to get this post posted.

JohnD

Congrats on the new rig! Pics or it didn't happen

That's pretty funny! :D

Well, it hasn't happened yet . . . we made the deal . . . beat up the sales people (and they beat us a little, too :p ) . . . worked out the trade . . . but won't pick up the new trailer until Friday, May 29th.!

Worked out a deal to get a slider hitch installed as part of the deal . . . and I still am working out the legistics of swapping the BlowMax's that are on the new trailer for the brand new ones I just put on the Trail Runner, plus I've got to sell my brand new topper that I have on the back of the truck.

Anyway, here are a couple of shots of the new Prowler on the lot taken this past Saturday afternoon (while the meet-&-greet was going on at the Colorado HOC Campout that we should have been at since we were attending the campout):

ProwlerOnLot-P5160719.jpg ProwlerOnLot-P5160728.jpg

As for the Trail Runner, we now have about 50 miles on it since the repair a week ago and now it is a beast!

It pulls so much better and no more dragging the rear end on every bump in the road . . .

In many ways I don't want to get rid of it as now it is the way it should have been all along.

However, when we saw this new floor plan on the Heartland Prowler/Sundance/Elkridge 292's . . . that was all she wrote!

At least the new owners of our 2013 Trail Runner will have an awesome and worry free new toy to haul!

I'll get some of the after-repair shots of the Trail Runner up when I get home from work tonight!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Nice looking rig, based on what I saw on Heartland's website! I like the floorplan! Congrats, John!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John, are you sure you need a slider hitch? Before you spend the extra money...you might call HL service and ask if its needed. Congrads on the new 5er and wish you well with it.

JohnD

John, are you sure you need a slider hitch? Before you spend the extra money...you might call HL service and ask if its needed. Congrads on the new 5er and wish you well with it.

I'll do that!

Since we were attending the Colorado HOC campout this weekend while we were in the process of the purchase, it was of the opinion of several of the other Colorado HOC members that tow 5th-wheel trailers that since our truck has the short (6.5ft) bed that the slider would be the best hitch to get!

What do you think?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
John, I towed our Bighorns for 7 years with a 6-1/2 foot bed. Crew Cab GMC.
Never in that period did I have need for a slider.

Peace
Dave

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
John, I towed our Bighorns for 7 years with a 6-1/2 foot bed. Crew Cab GMC.
Never in that period did I have need for a slider.

Peace
Dave

Maybe so but it's worth piece of mind and the consequences.
I had to back ours into a spot (Oregon SP) among the trees just last week and stay on a narrow (10' maybe) blacktop pad. I had her jacked around hard to make her fit.
For me it's one less issue to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Maybe so but it's worth piece of mind and the consequences.
I had to back ours into a spot (Oregon SP) among the trees just last week and stay on a narrow (10' maybe) blacktop pad. I had her jacked around hard to make her fit.
For me it's one less issue to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what I have been told by those that have the slider hitches.

I think I'll drive up to the dealership on Thursday or Friday and have a look at the different choices of hitches.

The parts department was closed by the time we got done with the haggling so I didn't get a chance to look them over.

jnbhobe

Too bad your out west I have one sitting in the garage I'll sell for 500.

OH!! It's a Super-Glide too.

MikeR

I have a Reese 16k sliding hitch sitting in my garage and I would let it go for less than $500 and Michigan is closer than Pennsylvania.

Attachments

• 2013-06-29_15-33-17_HDR.jpg
    2013-06-29_15-33-17_HDR.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 22

JohnD

Isn't theSuper-Glide the auto slide hitch?

Wish you were closer . . . would be a sweet deal!

I have a Reese 16k sliding hitch sitting in my garage and I would let it go for less than $500 and Michigan is closer than Pennsylvania.

We are from Michigan and were thinking about coming back there next summer with our current trailer . . . although we'll need a hitch before then to get the new trailer back there!

Might try to wrap that trip around a Michigan HOC Rally . . . maybe we'll see you there!

oscar

Glad you are happy now. Still, not a happy owners experience with the first rig. Did you ever arrive at a conclusion whether HL specs to Lippert were under, Lippert delivered under spec, or just a plain bad apple in the basket? On ALL four wheels?

Says Oscar, who just paid a lot of money to get rid of the alleged 3520# E rated BlowMaxes which HL claimed were just fine for an 18000# trailer..... sure.

JohnD

I now have the Reese 16K Pro Slider . . .

attachment.php

Attachments

• NewReeseSliderHitch-P1000052.jpg
    NewReeseSliderHitch-P1000052.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 50