slide issues

Xtreme

I have a 2008 big country bunk house 3490BHS. I only have 1 battery on the unit and when I have the trailer plugged in to my house and operate the slides, I am having issues.

First my master bedroom slide goes out with no issues, then it switches to my bunkhouse slide. while trying to push my bunkhouse slide out, it will start doing the living room at same time. Then the living room stops and the bunkhouse keeps going. Almost like the valve is bleeding over to the living room and trying to operated 2 slides at 1 time? Does the same thing when coming back in too.

2nd problem is when putting slides in, the master comes in fine. But when going to bunkhouse, it only gets halfway in and then trips the relay. I have to wait for relay to reset and then do it again. I have to do this 5-6 times just to get bunk and living slides in.

Will a new battery and maybe bigger relays work?

danemayer

Hi Xtreme,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You probably have a single switch that operates all the slides. That switch starts the hydraulic pump spinning and opens a valve so fluid can move to the rams that push/pull the slides. Because all the rams share the same valve, the one with least resistance moves first. From your description, it sounds like there's a point where the resistance increases on one slide and the other moves instead.

The problem with the breaker tripping is pretty common. First thing to check is to make sure you have clean, tight connections at the battery, mini-circuit breakers, and hydraulic pump. If that all looks good, have your battery tested. A weak battery (or bad connections) will cause a voltage drop with a matching increase in amps drawn, which will trip the breaker.

It can also be a weak breaker. If so, usually just replacing the 50 amp auto-reset breaker with a direct replacement will get things resolved.

You could have some mechanical binds contributing to both symptoms. So you should check that the rams are clean and the gears are lubed with a dry lube that doesn't attract dirt.

In my opinion, the last resort would be to move to a larger breaker as you don't want to mask the real problem.

Xtreme

Yes I do have the single switch. I know for a fact my battery is no good. I've taken it off and charged it and it won't hold a charge. So basically I been running off my house plug. So yes a new deep cycle battery and greasing all the arms is in the forecast!! I think I might go ahead and get a new 50 amp relay too.

Is 1 battery enough to run these slides? Seems like it should be running more

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have a 2008 big country bunk house 3490BHS. I only have 1 battery on the unit and when I have the trailer plugged in to my house and operate the slides, I am having issues.

First my master bedroom slide goes out with no issues, then it switches to my bunkhouse slide. while trying to push my bunkhouse slide out, it will start doing the living room at same time. Then the living room stops and the bunkhouse keeps going. Almost like the valve is bleeding over to the living room and trying to operated 2 slides at 1 time? Does the same thing when coming back in too.

2nd problem is when putting slides in, the master comes in fine. But when going to bunkhouse, it only gets halfway in and then trips the relay. I have to wait for relay to reset and then do it again. I have to do this 5-6 times just to get bunk and living slides in.

Will a new battery and maybe bigger relays work?

The start/stop/restart you describe while extending/retracting the hydraulic slides is normal. Popping the breaker is not normal if the battery is fully charged. The hydraulic system only runs off the battery, so having it plugged into the house doesn't aid it, especially if you just plugged it in after an extended period only to operate the slides. A radio with a digital display always on (12V) and the LP detector will drain your battery in a relatively short time. That's why many of us either disconnect the battery or install a shut-off switch for it.

The flip side is that you're always plugged into the house and the converter is not maintaining the battery. Or the battery needs service/checking. It's also not uncommon for converters to give it up, too, after many years of service.

Changing to a higher rated breaker was a fix for the old electric front jacks, at one time.

Xtreme

The start/stop/restart you describe while extending/retracting the hydraulic slides is normal. Popping the breaker is not normal if the battery is fully charged. The hydraulic system only runs off the battery, so having it plugged into the house doesn't aid it, especially if you just plugged it in after an extended period only to operate the slides. A radio with a digital display always on (12V) and the LP detector will drain your battery in a relatively short time. That's why many of us either disconnect the battery or install a shut-off switch for it.

The flip side is that you're always plugged into the house and the converter is not maintaining the battery. Or the battery needs service/checking. It's also not uncommon for converters to give it up, too, after many years of service.

Changing to a higher rated breaker was a fix for the old electric front jacks, at one time.

right now I am plugged into the house and there is no battery on the trailer at all. The slides are working strictly off my house.

danemayer

One battery and a good breaker should be enough. But shore power alone may not be enough to get reliable operation of the slides. After you replace the battery and the breaker, you'll probably be fine.