Slide not fully extending at the top

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've noticed that our entertainment slide does not fully extend at the top. When it's out, the bottom is tight to the seals but at the top, you can push your fingers between the seal and the wall. No water leaks, but I'd like to be sure of the adjustments to get it to extend flush all the way around. When retracted, it's tight to the outer wall.

I have just about all of the Lippert hydraulic manuals, but they don't specify what to do in this situation clearly enough for me. This rig is 10 years old, so no worries about voiding warranties if I take a wrench to it.

carl.swoyer

Any work on slide toppers recently?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I would inspect the frame/chassis for bends or twist. Also when you are fully open count the gears on each rail. They should be the same. And check the round gears that roll the beam out , looking for missing teeth.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JohnDar

No, the toppers have not been worked on and the frame is not bent. I think it’s been like this since we got it, just never really paid much mind to it. But, if I can adjust it, then maybe I will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

No, the toppers have not been worked on and the frame is not bent. I think it’s been like this since we got it, just never really paid much mind to it. But, if I can adjust it, then maybe I will.

If the topper is wound up too tight, it might pull the top in slightly.

JohnDar

Dan, you may be right. The topper on that slide (and the others on that side) have always been tight when extended. Given aging of the vinyl, it’s quite possible the toppers are pulling the top of the slides off kilter. Since it does not read like something I can do on my own, and it’s not really causing an interior problem, I might get it done at the end of our season when I take drop it iff for bearing service.

Researching online, adjusting the tension on the toppers is not a one man job.

danemayer

Dan, you may be right. The topper on that slide (and the others on that side) have always been tight when extended. Given aging of the vinyl, it’s quite possible the toppers are pulling the top of the slides off kilter. Since it does not read like something I can do on my own, and it’s not really causing an interior problem, I might get it done at the end of our season when I take drop it iff for bearing service.

Researching online, adjusting the tension on the toppers is not a one man job.

It typically takes 2 people; each on their own ladder.

JohnDar

Thought I'd revisit this post with a little more info. While on a ladder next to the Entertainment slide, I rotated the topper roller by hand to slacken it and the top of the slide did in fact come out a bit further. Looks like problem is indeed toppers are too tight. I'll have the dealer adjust the tension this fall when I bring it home for bearing service.