Slide outs not working

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Before we had the larger breaker installed,our slideout would do the same thing.There was no clicking sound as I recall,but the slide would do the same as yours.I also had the same problem with the landing gear.A larger breaker fixed that problem also.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I believe (maybe incorrectly - Mr. Beletti can check me here) that by design, all the DC breakers EXCEPT the one 50A breaker that feeds the fuse panel in the coach should be auto reset, but that Heartland frequently installs the wrong breakers.

As for the "larger breaker" fix that Lippert recommends for the slideout problem - I don't think the auto reset breakers come larger than 50A so if you get one of those 80A guys, it will be manual reset.

Dragoon

I believe (maybe incorrectly - Mr. Beletti can check me here) that by design, all the DC breakers EXCEPT the one 50A breaker that feeds the fuse panel in the coach should be auto reset, but that Heartland frequently installs the wrong breakers.

As for the "larger breaker" fix that Lippert recommends for the slideout problem - I don't think the auto reset breakers come larger than 50A so if you get one of those 80A guys, it will be manual reset.

Check this out (80a automatic): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260436616089&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123. Bought one, works fine, no more slide problems, automatically resets and they are new. Did a Google for part # found here: http://www.lci1.com/LIP/0058.pdf and the rest is history. Hope this helps...

4ever

Bill, Thanks for the info. Just one question. The breaker shown in the Lippert bulletin looks to be a lot larger then what I have. At least from what I recall from last night. Does this new breaker fit in the same space as the original?

Thanks,
Ted

4ever

Bill, disregard my previous message above. I went out to the fiver and took a better look at the whole setup. I previously thought that the brakers were mounted into a block or rack. I can see that they are all indvidual and connected to each other by a brass plate.

Thanks again,

Ted

Dragoon

Bill, disregard my previous message above. I went out to the fiver and took a better look at the whole setup. I previously thought that the brakers were mounted into a block or rack. I can see that they are all indvidual and connected to each other by a brass plate.

Thanks again,

Ted

No problem. As to previous post, no doesn't fit there, indeed it's a lot larger. I just mounted it to the right of the others so one wire would reach it. Did have to run a separate wire because of the buss you mentioned, really wasn't a big deal. Kept the original breaker in the same place in case I need a spare for some reason. :) Hope this helps...

smday

Installing the 80 amp breaker should only be a temp fix for the nuisance tripping as we call it in the trade. If Lippert installed a 50 Amp then they did it for a reason. If you plan on increasing your breaker than you better increase your wire size as well to handle the overcurrent. All breaker sizes are matched to compensate how much amperage a wire can handle without burning the insulation off and eventually causing a fire. If you increase the breaker and the pump (for example) got stuck in the on position and the breaker was to trip at 50 then that pump stays protected. But if you use an 80 it could be to much to trip that breaker and that pump will stay on and the chances are better for melting the cables and causing a fire. I have seen this done to many times in houses that i have worked in (Pet Peeve) and then they blame the electrical for the fire because someone changed a breaker size because of the nuisance tripping. So I would really get something in writing from Lippert saying that increasing the 50 amp to a 80 amp is good and your wires are going to be protected. But thats just my 2 cents anyhow.

Dragoon

Installing the 80 amp breaker should only be a temp fix for the nuisance tripping as we call it in the trade. If Lippert installed a 50 Amp then they did it for a reason. If you plan on increasing your breaker than you better increase your wire size as well to handle the overcurrent. All breaker sizes are matched to compensate how much amperage a wire can handle without burning the insulation off and eventually causing a fire. If you increase the breaker and the pump (for example) got stuck in the on position and the breaker was to trip at 50 then that pump stays protected. But if you use an 80 it could be to much to trip that breaker and that pump will stay on and the chances are better for melting the cables and causing a fire. I have seen this done to many times in houses that i have worked in (Pet Peeve) and then they blame the electrical for the fire because someone changed a breaker size because of the nuisance tripping. So I would really get something in writing from Lippert saying that increasing the 50 amp to a 80 amp is good and your wires are going to be protected. But thats just my 2 cents anyhow.

No quarrel with that. See http://www.lci1.com/LIP/0058.pdf. Kind of puts the monkey on their back as it is publicly posted for all to see. However, this is as far as I'm going, merely was advising what Lippert had to say, not me. Happy Holidays and best wishes, continue on, I leave you in peace...

jnbhobe

Is this what your looking for ???? http://www.lci1.com/LIP/0058.pdf
This is the Lippert fix.

smday

No rants here I just wanted to make sure everyone protects themselves. Don't want anyone losing extremly nice units for something like that. It also says that the wires and breakers are to be supplied by manufacture. It also makes me wonder why Lippert Just doesent do the fix right away especially if it is only an extra few bucks for the breaker. Happy holidays everyone.

Last edited:

navyAZ1

Our dealer fixed our problem with this by installing an additional 40 amp breaker wired in paralell, haven't had a problem since. I didn't know anything about this recall.