Slide Room Wiring Strap Snapped at outside mount

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
I just notice on the Big Slide Room, the Plastic Strap that holds the wiring harness up has snapped off at the outside wall, mainly fatigue in the plastic.

1. Has anyone replaced the entire strap? Where you able to disconnect the wiring in the Junction Box on the Frame so you can route the wires though the loops in the Strap? Where did you get the part and what is the official name of the part?

2. Has anyone used a hinge to reattach the strap to the outer wall of the Slide where it snapped off? If so what size hinge did you use? Did you pop rivet of screw the hinge? Do you have pictures of the fix?

3 Trying to figure out which way the strap and wires bend when slide goes in: 1. toward the rear and over the slide rail (geared rail) or 2. forward and way from the rail?

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tom (Jasmar)

jimtoo

Re: ATF: Sundance - Slide Room Wiring Strap Snap at outside mount

Hi Tom,

Several folks have put a hinge on the end that broke. Cheap easy ways is I took broken end off and drilled 3-4 holes and drilled 3-4 holes in the strap and used the good tie straps to put it together. Don't pull them real tight and mine was still there 3 years later.

Jim M

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired

Hi Tom,

This item is called a Flex Guard and is made by Lippert. Here's a link.

Jim

The Kit is avalable from Heartland, but I will warn you they send you three straps ... and 3 sets of plastic rings ... I had to replace the same on my Cyclone last year and I had to repair some wires that were damaged by the wheel, but they were all 12V DC so it was an easy fix.. The good news is I have two more straps just incase... it breaks again. It was easy to install!

Kevin

hoefler

I installed a stainless steel piano hinge, pop rivet with washers to the strap and screwed to the frame.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

I used a small door hinge, machine screws, washers and nylock nuts. Been good for 5 years now.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We've replaced at least two of these over the past 4 years. Just used zip-ties to hold the wiring to the new flex guard. Bought from Heartland, called and gave VIN and slide location. Wasn't more than $25 including shipping to TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z237/jasmar69/FIXMERGE.jpg

THANK YOU TO ONE AN ALL FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS. WE ARRIVE HOME FROM THE PACIFIC REGIONAL RALLY TODAY. TOOK OFF THE GORILLA TAPE THAT HELD THE FLEX STRAP IN PLACE WHERE IT SNAPPED AT THE OUTBOARD SIDE OF THE SLIDE. IRONICALLY, I THINK THAT THE GORILLA TAPE WOULD HAVE HELD FOR YEARS :)
ONE QUESTION THOUGH, WHAT TYPE OF SCREWS ARE USE TO MOUNT THE FLEX STRAP, THEY LOOK LIKE TORQUE SCREW, BUT T15 WERE TOO SMALL AND T20 TOO BIG. JUST CURIOUS. WE COULD NOT DETERMINE WHAT THEY ARE, SO WE JUST USED VICEGRIP TO BACK THEM OUT.

NOTE: TWO STAINLESS 1/4 BOLTS WITH WASHER TO MOUNT OLD FLEX STRAP TO HINGE
USED THREE SELF TAPPING SCREWS TO MOUNT STAINLESS STEEL PIANO HINGE TO SLIDE

THANKS AGAIN
TOM

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had the one under the entertainment /desk slide break in the middle some time back. Reattached it with a piece of inner tube and pop rivets. At the 2013 Goshen rally, HL replaced it for me. It's broken again, same spot, so I'll repeat my repair and leave it that way. Not sure what flavor of plastic it is, but it does not appear flexible enough for the tight bending it sees.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Mine snapped at the bolt end also I think the hing solution is a good one as would a pin hinge like the one on the other end ( but that would require a redesign). So from a retrofit solution without replacing the hinge seems like a good solution.