Slide Seal Issue

Hunter11

Well it seems we have developed yet another issue with our new trailer. We had rain a couple of days last week and noticed a day later the carpet in our bedroom slide storage cabinets was damp. I was finally able to take a look at it today and found what I think is a major problem with the bedroom slide seal. I brought the slide in far enough where I could see the top seal and the pictures below are what I found. I don't see how this can be fixed without the slide coming out but I will post the pictures here and see what the members say. This is the top of the bedroom slide so rain got in through this seal.

Attachments

• 100_1331.jpg
    100_1331.jpg
    612.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 100_1330.jpg
    100_1330.jpg
    721.5 KB · Views: 175

Majestic

We noticed water in our bedroom slide area as well, our seals had just started pulling under. We had to add additional screws with large flat washer after pull they out. Glad we caught it early, i know we shouldn't have to fix before we travel in our new unit.

danemayer

Well it seems we have developed yet another issue with our new trailer. We had rain a couple of days last week and noticed a day later the carpet in our bedroom slide storage cabinets was damp. I was finally able to take a look at it today and found what I think is a major problem with the bedroom slide seal. I brought the slide in far enough where I could see the top seal and the pictures below are what I found. I don't see how this can be fixed without the slide coming out but I will post the pictures here and see what the members say. This is the top of the bedroom slide so rain got in through this seal.
Can you give us some context on the pictures so we have a better understanding of what we're looking at.

Hunter11

Gary, I can see where several of the screws are attached to the wall but the rubber seal has torn loose from them. To me it looks like the seal in that area is destroyed. I am calling Heartland again in the morning and will send them pics to see what they say about it. If the slide has to come out I don't know what we will do given the fact we are living in this trailer full time with two small dogs.

Garypowell

Hunter11,

sorry to to see your list growing. I have not had this problem but it seems from the pictures your slide is too high. Which certainly means a professional fix.

Majestic

Hunter11

yes the seals are destroyed, you will need new ones. I used the remote to move the slide in and out while pulling on the seal and got it out. If you do this be careful not to get your fingers caught, i used pliers. If part is outside already, which it looks like, use a ladder and work it back and forth to get it out

Hunter11

Gary, I am not going to try and deal with this myself. I am going to have to call Heartland again this morning and see who to send pictures to but I pretty much know the slide is going to have to come out to fix this. I have not told my wife this because she is upset enough as it is with this trailer. She had a drawer bottom fall out on her yesterday and was upset about that as it seems everyday brings a new issue. If the slide does have to come out then we are out of a place to stay until it is repaired. I don't know if I would trust a dealer to do this kind of repair so if it has to go back to Heartland we have to take another week off work after just doing that two weeks ago to go pick up the trailer in Elkhart and take it right back up there. We have tried to stay positive through all this but I am about to my breaking point.

Majestic

I fully understand, we are in the same position. This is our 4th unit, in hindsight the issues with our SOB were minor compared to ongoing issues with this unit. Can't afford to go back, just hope and pray that after we have all the problems fixed we will start to enjoy the adventure again, (right now we hate it). You and I seam to have the lemons or are just the more vocal. I am semi-retired now, only working 75% so I have time to go through the unit inch by inch, looking at every piece with screw driver and glue. Frustrating, Yes, but I will win.

Hunter11

Could anyone supply me with names or numbers of someone a little higher up the ladder than the folks that answer the phones when you call into the Heartland service center? This can be in a PM if it is not within the rules to post them here. We have had several inches of rain this weekend and we have been fighting trying to keep water from coming through the bad seal on the bedroom slide but we are losing the battle. We have had water intrusion into the closets built into the bedroom slide twice now over the last three days and once a little over a week ago and I feel like this may be beyond a mobile tech fixing this issue. I really need to speak to someone at Heartland that can tell me the best way to get this resolved before more damage is done. We are living in the unit full time so I am not sure how this is going to work out. My wife was in tears this morning when we got up and found the carpet wet in the slide closet again. Considering we have not even owned this trailer for a month and the amount of repairs needed to this unit I feel it needs to go back to the Heartland Service Center to make this right but again we live in it and both work so not sure how this will work out.

As a side note to this, Heartland is aware of the issue as I called them 5/19 and gave them a list of the issues and sent them pictures of the damaged slide seal. They agreed the seal is damaged to the point it cannot be repaired and they believe it was caused by the slide being installed to high. They have shipped me a new seal for a mobile tech to install but with water getting in the slide cabinet floors back before I called them on 5/19 and now twice over the weekend I have concerns over the long term effects of he water intrusion. And before anyone ask we did do a through PDI when we picked the unit up but this issue did not start until we used the slide a few times on the way home and once we got home. Thanks for listening and any help.

danemayer

They have shipped me a new seal for a mobile tech to install
Hunter11,

It's been a week. Has the new seal arrived? Is the installation scheduled? Given the rain we're getting in Texas this week, step 1 would be to get the repair done and stop the leaking. If the seal hasn't arrived yet, do something to cover the affected area to keep the rain out.

Run the AC and fans to dry out the carpet.

Hunter11

No the new seal has not arrived. The installation by the mobile RV tech is not scheduled until the first week of June and that is dependent on him agreeing to do the work once he comes out and looks at it. I called Explore USA Saturday as they are listed on the Heartland web site as an authorized repair dealer and was told at least a month before they could look at it. We tried covering the slide with a tarp but that has blown off twice with the high winds in the thunderstorms. Not much fun trying to chase a tarp through an RV park in wind, heavy rain and lightning. About the best we can do right now is what we have been doing. Right now I am looking to someone at Heartland to give me some guidance on how to get this resolved so we do not have to worry about a major slide leak and any damage that has been done by the inside of the slide closets getting wet.

Run the AC and fans to dry out the carpet.

This is already being done.