Slide Seals

cgunn

My seal is coming apart!!
I'm not sure exactly why but my slide seal is sticky,only in the middle of the top "D" shape seal.
It may have gotten some tree sap or something on it and when I put my slide in for a trip,it stuck to the
flange on the slide. Then when I put the slide out it pulled apart part of the seal that was stuck.
Has anyone had this to happen? What a bummer!!
Does anyone have a source to buy some of this seal?
I guess I could contact the factory...If so who would be the best contact??

Thanks For The Info....

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would just call Heartland Customer Service and tell them what you need.
If you are a member of the Heartland Owners Club you will get 10% off.
Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

Bobby A

My seal is coming apart!!
I'm not sure exactly why but my slide seal is sticky,only in the middle of the top "D" shape seal.
It may have gotten some tree sap or something on it and when I put my slide in for a trip,it stuck to the
flange on the slide. Then when I put the slide out it pulled apart part of the seal that was stuck.
Has anyone had this to happen? What a bummer!!
Does anyone have a source to buy some of this seal?
I guess I could contact the factory...If so who would be the best contact??

Thanks For The Info....

I got the same problem, over the door side slideout, it goes the whole length of the slideout. I know this stuf can't be cheap.

alanfred

Charlie,

I was lucky, the seal only pulled free from the slot. It happened while opening the slide after 45 days of storage. The seal seemed to stick to the slide flange. I was able to pop it back on. I treated all of my slides with this: SIL-GLYDE. It is excellent for this application. Non-petroleum product. I use it on many things, including O-rings on sewer valves, my truck door seals. I swear by this stuff. It looks like this:

images.jpg

Marshda1

I had the same problem with my slide seal. It was replaced under warrenty, but am concerned it will happen again. I live in South Alabama and thought that maybe it was due to heat. We bought ours new off the lot but it was last years model so I think that it was closed in very hot weather for long periods. The seal deteroriated along the entire length. Was wondering if storing with slide out would prevent seal damage - may cause other problems though.

ParkIt

Charlie,

I was lucky, the seal only pulled free from the slot. It happened while opening the slide after 45 days of storage. The seal seemed to stick to the slide flange. I was able to pop it back on. I treated all of my slides with this: SIL-GLYDE. It is excellent for this application. Non-petroleum product. I use it on many things, including O-rings on sewer valves, my truck door seals. I swear by this stuff. It looks like this:

View attachment 22975
Thanks for the tip, will add this to the tool box :)

mdedgett

I too have this same problem on my 2011 Bighorn. I noticed this past winter that two of the seals had partially deteriorated into a gooey mush. I planned on getting them replaced when I returned to Idaho for my annual wheel bearing packing and other maintenance. I found however that during my 4 weeks of traveling all the D seals now show complete disintegration or are starting some minor deterioration. Replacements are quite expensive, I doo not want to have to replace these every 2 years. Does anyone know of a product that will protect the rubber from this type of deterioration, Customer Service says it is caused by the sun.

Kbvols

Charlie,

View attachment 22975

Do you rember where you bought this? I can swear Walmart carried but no longer seem to.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I too have this same problem on my 2011 Bighorn. I noticed this past winter that two of the seals had partially deteriorated into a gooey mush.

I have two seals on the off-door side that have done the same thing.
Only about 2 1/2 years old and they are shot.
I believe I will order from one of the links above and get some extra pieces.

Wow, I just looked , not cheap either at about $2.25 per foot.

Plan B, I'll call HL tomorrow. Trace

Last edited:

guyc66

I guess I will join the slideout seal replacement club.......just discovered today that one of my "D seals" has melted to a gooey tar consistancy. I imagine the sun caused this since it faces the West and probably gets the most of this hot Georgia sun. Maybe I should have tried the baby powder treatment and it would have lasted longer, but who knows. It would be nice if a company would invent rubber seals that could handle the elements a little better because at nearly $3 a foot this repair could get expensive every couple of years. I owned my last SOB for 10 years and never had an issue with my slideout seals, but I don't remember them looking anything like what I have on my Landmark. I thought since these were of newer technology they would have been better designed than my last unit's seals but where longevity is concerned I would have to disagree. The plus side is I will be living in Colorado in about 4 weeks so maybe this won't be an ongoing issue there.......time will tell.

rzrektd

My 2012 Elkridge 34TSRE has the exact same problem on the door side slide out. The top "D" seal has turned into a gooey mess. Gotta be a better OEM seal available. Heartland can you hear us??

I am having the same problem. I've put silicone on the seals several times over the past couple years (I have a 2011 3585). How hard is it to replace yourself? Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just a word of caution here.
I do know that some spray silicone use a propellent that will melt some plastics and rubber.
Proceed with caution.

Peace
Dave

B

BouseBill

We owned our last 5th wheel for over 10 years and NEVER had this happen to the slide out seals. Just posted on another thread that ours are shot again, another example of shoddy materials?? Cause by the sun my ****!

Heathcote4

We bought our 2013 Road Warrior in September. It lived on the deer lease throughout the season but the slides were in unless I was in it. I had two serious leaks during a good rain and took it in for the seals to be checked. They could only replicate one leak.

When I inspected the unit at the dealer if found two top wiper seals that were folded in on themselves with the slides fully extended. They had become warped due to being compacted for so long. Long story short they are replacing them under warranty right now.

I will be keeping a very close eye on this when I receive my camper. I hope this is not going to be an ongoing issue.

aatauses

I just replaced my "d" seals--not too bad of a job--bought them through HL--now wondering what to prevent them from deteriorating? I used "303" on them with not much results---I have heard and read about "rubber slide protectant"--just wondering if anyone using it?
thanks
al
currently in crystal river, FL