Slide Seals

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When I was getting our 2013 Trail Runner ready to go to Arizona three weeks ago, I discovered that the D-seal on our slider was ripped half off . . .

I got the ladder out and got up there only to discover that it had stuck to the slide and ripped off while the slide was moving out!

Since I caught it before I put the slide all the way out, I pulled it loose from where it was stuck to the slide, and after inspecting decided that I would be able to fix this after we got home from the trip.

Ours is not deteriorated, just pulled loose about halfway along the length of the slide, but can't be put back on, and since we are not having any leak issues as it is in place with the slide closed, it will be part of the spring maintainance.

aatauses

JohnD---You said your D seal stuck to the side of the slide---when mine did that I noticed that the slide was actually deteriorating and sticking to the slide. I would really check to see that it is ok. If it is, to put it back on---there are two screws that hold it in place, one at the top and one at the bottom. remove the screws and it should slide in the grove of the sweeper seal, pull it out and carefully slide it back in, replace the screws and you should be in business.
al
currently in Crystal River, fL

wdk450

I just replaced my "d" seals--not too bad of a job--bought them through HL--now wondering what to prevent them from deteriorating? I used "303" on them with not much results---I have heard and read about "rubber slide protectant"--just wondering if anyone using it?
thanks
al
currently in crystal river, FL

Your reference to slide rubber seal protectorant made me curious enough to do a websearch. I found this listing on Camping World with 7 all positive reviews. http://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...e-out-rubber-seal-treatment/18633#readreviews

I also found the same product listed on Amazon.com.

dlw930

I replaced all the top D seals on my 2011 Big Country last summer after I discovered they had all turned to "gorilla snot". I looked online for replacement seal, but ended up calling Heartland as their price was cheapest and I had more confidence I was getting the right seal. I clean the seals with a spray cleaner I got at Camping World and coat the clean seals occasionally with Baby powder to keep them from sticking to the slides. I sprinkle the baby powder liberally on a clean cloth, wipe along the seals, and then wipe of excess powder with a clean microfiber cloth so the powder doesn't cake on the seals if it gets wet. Seems to work good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

I'm conserving money right now, and just have a few worn/deteriorated? holes on the D seals. I am thinking about trying some "spot" repairs with pieces of old bicycle tube and rubber cement. What do you think?

Gimpy

Is the D Seal all the same size on all Heartland units? I bought a 2013 Road Warrior 305 and saw that my top D seals are shot too.

EPaulikonis

I'd also seen useful tip to put the baby powder in a sock to use like a rosin bag. Works great.

I replaced all the top D seals on my 2011 Big Country last summer after I discovered they had all turned to "gorilla snot". I looked online for replacement seal, but ended up calling Heartland as their price was cheapest and I had more confidence I was getting the right seal. I clean the seals with a spray cleaner I got at Camping World and coat the clean seals occasionally with Baby powder to keep them from sticking to the slides. I sprinkle the baby powder liberally on a clean cloth, wipe along the seals, and then wipe of excess powder with a clean microfiber cloth so the powder doesn't cake on the seals if it gets wet. Seems to work good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justafordguy

I checked and treated my seals for the first time last weekend and noticed that the screws on the end of the slides have punched holes in the D seals in several places. The screws are not cut off flush and tore right into the seal. Is this going to cause any problem or cause a leak? My unit is only a month old so this was done at the factory.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I checked and treated my seals for the first time last weekend and noticed that the screws on the end of the slides have punched holes in the D seals in several places. The screws are not cut off flush and tore right into the seal. Is this going to cause any problem or cause a leak? My unit is only a month old so this was done at the factory.

Call your dealership and Heartland (have your VIN number handy) and let them know of the problem right away!

Last edited by a moderator: