Slide Topper holding water after rain

Jwhazel56

Has anyone had trouble with the slide topper on the big slide out (12 foot) holding water after a rain. It appears the roller tube is not rigid enough to stop water from collecting on fabric. I have adjusted the tension but that does not help. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

danemayer

Hi Jwhazel56,

In a heavy rain we also collect water; usually on both large slides. I'm on a replacement set of toppers that were installed with more tension, and they sag a little less than the old ones after a rain. You don't want too much tension because that can cause problems with the slide mechanism.

If it's going to rain every day for a while, I'll sometimes raise my front landing gear slightly to get better runoff. But you can't go too far off level before you cause a refrigerator problem. If you have rear stabilizers, be sure to retract them first.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Depending on how long you'll be sitting in one place, a simple set of supports under the large topper will eliminate that problem. Some folks stuff beach ball under it, others buy special "pillows" made for the purpose. Since I sit on a site all summer, I made a set of supports from 1" PVC pipe that comes apart for storage. It's pretty easy to get it in and out of place, too.

Take a measurement of how high you want to raise the topper before putting the supports together. This gizmo actually sits close to the side wall of the rig once in place, allowing the topper to drain. The pieces for the supports are glued together, the long sections of pipe are not glued into the supports.

The three smaller toppers on my ODS side are tight and drain without a support under them.

dbbls59

That is the nature of the things. I've never had one that didn't hold water. Just bring the slide in almost all the way then stop and let the water run off.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
A better solution might be to install a Dometic Slide Cradle Support. I installed 2 on my previous Landmark. I also installed one on my current Landmark on the living/dining slide. Take at look at this post for more details. The source in the referenced post at the time was the best price. I just checked and located this source now has a better price.

Bones

Is that what the problem is? I don't see my tube dipping that much but I attributed my slide topper catching water because they didn't put enough slope on it. Does that holder keep water from collecting or just support the tube?

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I also have 2 of the Cradle support holders on my Key Largo and had them on my Bighorn. They support the tube which in turn helps keep the fabric taught which aids in water run off. They also help prevent roller tube from rubbing against slideout fascia. Highly recommended.