Slide Topper Recommendations

gslabbert5119

I guess like most everything there are good and bad Slide Toppers, and I am looking to fit a set on my 2013 BigHorn

Looking for recommendations and what to look for in a good slide topper.

Thanks
Gavin

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have Carefree and wouldn't do it again...
I recommend Dometic..
I will be switching out mine to Dometic in the near future.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

rdufek

My 3 1/2 year old Dometic Slide Toppers are worn out, never had that problem before. Not sure I would go with Dometic. All 5 of my slide toppers are shot. Replacing all my toppers from Tough Top Awnings.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The material they use now days is just junk. On all of them...
I'm talking about the mounting and locking mechanism. The carefree lock pins have completely broken, broke the round pads, and scratched the heck out of my full body paint. I've replaced stoppers, I've adjusted and replaced the stop pins, they keep working there way out eavn with double nuts.
"I'M DONE WITH THEM"
Domestic is a much less sophisticated system making it hassle free.

When I ordered my 2019 Big Horn back in February, my dealer told me there were 2 different slide toppers available to order, the standard one and the deluxe one.
The deluxe one has a heavier material and heavier spring arm which prevents the flopping in the wind.
I ordered the deluxe ones.
We have been in some windy conditions and these have no movement compared to ones I’ve seen on other rigs.
I hope this my help in your search.

Hockster

gslabbert5119

Thanks Folks, for me the verdict is still out, I am going to have to see some installed, I like the deluxe version of the Dometic, but wondered what the experiences were with these things. They seem like a good idea, but they are darned expensive (pretty much like everything else on the rigs) and I need to watch my pennies.

Any more input is most welcomed.

Gavin

sengli

I had dometic installed on my big horn, aftermarket. They held up really well, but we never left our rig exposed to sun very much. My only issue was on the super slide, the length of the topper required the center support. This wasnt installed at the dealer when they installed the toppers. So in a short period of time that long topper, started to bend and rub on the slide. The install of this center support fixed the issue.
Also the white, showed mold and dirt pretty badly. Had to scrub them often.

Attachments

• IMAG0789.jpg
    IMAG0789.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 64

dieseldog

I’ve had both carefree and dometic. My vote is dometic. The carefree toppers dripped rusty water out of the ends occasionally and my larger slide required a center support which wound up being one made for a dometic topper as it was easier to purchase. When I purchased the new BH I had the dealer install dometic toppers and couldn’t be happier with the decision.

RickL

The material they use now days is just junk. On all of them...
I'm talking about the mounting and locking mechanism. The carefree lock pins have completely broken, broke the round pads, and scratched the heck out of my full body paint. I've replaced stoppers, I've adjusted and replaced the stop pins, they keep working there way out eavn with double nuts.
"I'M DONE WITH THEM"
Domestic is a much less sophisticated system making it hassle free.

Jerrod I won’t disagree with you on the OE Carefree that were installed from the factory. I had nothing but issues with mine since it was new. I had the opportunity to take my rig directly to the Carefree factory in Broomfield and had them look them over. The first word out of their mouth was, **** there are parts used that aren’t even ours. This looks like they cobbled this together.

Carefree replaced every slide topper (with their latest model) and since then I haven’t had a single issue. (Albeit I have only travelled about 500 miles since having them replaced) By the end of April of next year I should have plenty of miles to know if their new toppers are working as intended.

brianlajoie

Had Carefree = kept breaking the brackets. Fabric shot after 3 years. Couldn't convince the manufacturer that their bracket will not hold a long topper without a middle support roller. Wouldn't recommend them.

Went to Lippert - Solera. I like the metal wrapping over the closed topper.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We have a 2009 Landmark with (4) slide toppers from Dometic. All of them are still in great shape and work flawlessly.
Mark

gslabbert5119

Thanks folks, Dometic it is, and probably the deluxe model

Has anyone used the Satin color, I ask as the white will show mold mildew and dirt really quickly.

The other option is black even though my Bighorn is white.

Thoughts on this.

rdufek

Unless you have no problem cooling your BH I would stay away from black. The slides get warm enough as it is in the heat of the day and black toppers will only add to that IMHO.

bhcduner

I to am interested in slide toppers and through research Lippert was mentioned as being a good product and I'm just wondering why there is no mention of that manufacturer.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I to am interested in slide toppers and through research Lippert was mentioned as being a good product and I'm just wondering why there is no mention of that manufacturer.
Although Lippert makes many products I don't think slide toppers are among them.

Peace
Dave

CDN

B and B
Hello,

Another Vote for Dometic. I year on a Travel Trailer on a 20 ft Super Slide, collected some water no issues. 4 Years on a SOB Fifth Wheel worked very good, had a track pull from the wall due to installation issue at the factory. Fabric was good.

I did not have them on my Bighorn for 2 years, really missed them, we camp under trees and was always pulling stuff out of the gaskets.

On the new Landmark Lousiville I have them and on the slide in slide in the bedroom. The fact the Louisville has slide toppers was a sale in for us on the slide in slide, cleaner operation.

Brian

John T Bettencourt

I had custom ones made for my Landmark. They side into a track and snap over the edge of the slide out. They are great no water build up and no wind noise. I even made an edge for a rain gutter out of L shape thin aluminum. Very easy to install just need a step ladder.

Donhutch1800

I had custom ones made for my Landmark. They side into a track and snap over the edge of the slide out. They are great no water build up and no wind noise. I even made an edge for a rain gutter out of L shape thin aluminum. Very easy to install just need a step ladder.
I have the dometic deluxe on mine in satin black.I wouldn't really want white.To much to clean.I don't think black makes a difference in heat transfer as the toppers are several inches off the top of the slide.