Slideout creep while traveling...hydraulic experts?

NHCelt

l am having a problem with slideouts creeping out during travel on my 2016 Bighorn. I know it is a warranty issue but I seem to get blank stares and comments from repair facilities about it being a big complicated job to troubleshoot...we are on the road and can't leave the rig. I can wait till I get home...but it seems like magic to so many of the dealerships I have talked to.

So my question is, does anyone have experience diagnosing the issue and is it really that hard and time consuming? Does the fact that it is both hydraulic slides creeping out narrow down the possible suspects?

Is it something the average rv owner can handle at a campsite etc...

I don't know much about hydraulics, but feel the need to learn.

Thanks...Celt.

Funny, but not funny, I just bought a 2017 Big Country and all my years of RV ing since 1975 have never seen a slideout creep out until now. I was on HWY and looking in mirror and my slide are creeping. I will try running them in and out alot and check for air or loss of fluid.

wdk450

Funny, but not funny, I just bought a 2017 Big Country and all my years of RV ing since 1975 have never seen a slideout creep out until now. I was on HWY and looking in mirror and my slide are creeping. I will try running them in and out alot and check for air or loss of fluid.

These VERY RARE reports of hydraulic slide creep is a good reason to keep a set of ratchet tie down straps on your rig, just in case.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My opinion. the cause could be a Hydraulic leak or a bad o-ring in one of the solenoid valves. I haven't looked at this system yet to figure out what dose what yet. You said both slides do it. So it has to be something that both are connected too.
Do you have and loss on you Level-up legs like lots of popping while it's set up ?

Dan where can I find the Hydraulic schematics for this ???

KFPD404

I have the same thing happening with my 2015 Gateway . When I told the dealer they told me that I must not be holding the button down until the pump stops . I assured them I was and it will be going to the dealer for repair towards the end of the season . I can not see a obvious leak so I assume it could be a cylinder or valve leaking by .

My opinion. the cause could be a Hydraulic leak or a bad o-ring in one of the solenoid valves. I haven't looked at this system yet to figure out what dose what yet. You said both slides do it. So it has to be something that both are connected too.
Do you have and loss on you Level-up legs like lots of popping while it's set up ?

Dan where can I find the Hydraulic schematics for this ???

The reason both creep is because one button controls both super slides. I have not had time to run them in and out to see if that helps but if they have to be traced then it all goes back to front trunk. 2017 3650 rl

Last edited:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

If there is 1 switch for both slides, then I definitely think you have
1) solenoid valve bypassing from a bad o-ring
2) a leak
Or #3) I seen some manual twist control knobs on my buddy's Big Horn if you have those knobs on yours make sure they are all the way in or all the way out. Not resting in-between. I'm thinking that could be your problem.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Westwind

I think this is also a case for the old fashion "Slide Poles" that used to be part of the equipment of a trailer with slideouts. I've been thinking of fabricating 4 so that I can start using them as my FW ages. I've seen a trailer accident where the slideout was completely open on the turned over trailer.

NHCelt

I have not had the ability to leave it with a dealer for this to be evaluated, but have purchased travel bars... They will get a try out next week.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Roller4tan

Just remember, hydraulics are not very forgiving. If the pressure builds up enough it could push those poles through the inside facia board or out through the trailer wall.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes I was going to caution about that to if you push the button with the polls in there something is going to break.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Was talking to a guy from Lippert today about my new project
And asked about this problem. He said it's possibly a hydraulic ram leaking internally. I know of 3 big Horn's right now that are doing this. Seems odd to me that it's the ram's
On the Big Horn is it 1 ram that works both slides or 2 ram's tied together ?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Was talking to a guy from Lippert today about my new project
And asked about this problem. He said it's possibly a hydraulic ram leaking internally. I know of 3 big Horn's right now that are doing this. Seems odd to me that it's the ram's
On the Big Horn is it 1 ram that works both slides or 2 ram's tied together ?

Ours has 2 rams, one per slide, with diverter valves for each near the pump in the front compartment.

Ours has 2 rams, one per slide, with diverter valves for each near the pump in the front compartment.

I spoke with Lippert today and the guys was rude and said "yes everyone takes to the internet and post but there's alot with out problems" I said "hey look no one is bashing your product, just informing others". I put my slides in and as it sat there I an hear a tick noise and looks like the solenoid is allowing fluid to pass by when it shouldn't. I'll look further into it and bring it to the dealer to be fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

I refuse to use travel bars, I've NEVER used them in all the years I've been camping. They will fix this as its supposed to be! If not I will fix it and I will charge them!

Last edited:
I think its the Hydac cartridge vale assembly. located in the front truck and screws into the valve body by the pump. If it don't hold fluid from returning to the reservoir then they will creep.

- - - Updated - - -

I checked them, they are used to stop one slide or the other in the event you only want one of them out.