Slideout creep while traveling...hydraulic experts?

lynndiwagoner

On mine, all of the slides are on one valve at the manifold. I was having the slides moving when I was running the leveling jacks. Turned out the valve screw on the valve for the slides was partially backed off. Using the test procedure posted above I bet you will find the problem. Good luck.

Mine don't move when running the jacks, they only creep out after it sits. They start to move right away after their run in, and within 15 to 30 mins the slides are out at the bottom. My exp. with hydraulics it seems a valve not holding, and I think its on the block.... i didnt find a link to a "procedure above"

Last edited:

ncc1701e

Was talking to a guy from Lippert today about my new project
And asked about this problem. He said it's possibly a hydraulic ram leaking internally. I know of 3 big Horn's right now that are doing this. Seems odd to me that it's the ram's
On the Big Horn is it 1 ram that works both slides or 2 ram's tied together ?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A cylinder or ram with an internal leak will creep (extent). A very common symtom in hydraulic cylinders.

I got it back today we a new piston in the door side slideout and that solved to slideout issue. The guy didn't bleed the piston and cause air to enter the system, so when i arrived home my front jacks (landing gear) were almost to the ground! I have to run jacks and slide to remove the air and see if they stay up. I wanted this type of system for year for the stability now i wish i didn't own it.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Once you get it working right like the rest of ours you will never go without it again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NHCelt

I got it back today we a new piston in the door side slideout and that solved to slideout issue. The guy didn't bleed the piston and cause air to enter the system, so when i arrived home my front jacks (landing gear) were almost to the ground! I have to run jacks and slide to remove the air and see if they stay up. I wanted this type of system for year for the stability now i wish i didn't own it.
We made it home fro FL (to N H) using ratchet straps under the trailer pulling both slides in towards each other. It helped...and we have an appt. with our local mechanic to repair. Glad you got it fixed!

Westwind

Had our Bighorn since 8/11 and so far the only problem I had was a nut falling off the Hydraulic under the kitchen slide which caused it to do nothing when we wanted it to. But I'm definately fitting the trailer with a set of ratchet straps for "Just in Case". It's something I've thought about but done nothing about for awhile.

Had our Bighorn since 8/11 and so far the only problem I had was a nut falling off the Hydraulic under the kitchen slide which caused it to do nothing when we wanted it to. But I'm definitely fitting the trailer with a set of ratchet straps for "Just in Case". It's something I've thought about but done nothing about for awhile.

That would work as a back up, but anyone who has a Lipert dealer work on there hydraulics make sure they bleed and fill and new parts before installing. The legs were creeping down after the new cylinder was installed and they would pick up the trailer 1 to 1.5 inches from the air pressure in the fluid. I took several hours of bleeding and working all the slides and jacks to remove the air so everything worked as it should when it would have taken only a few mins to fill the piston before installing it. That would have made alot less air in the system

NHCelt

Fixed...finally got around to it. Waited until we got home to have our local, trusted mechanic do the repair.

The problem was the hydraulic piston on the door side slideout (fluid bypass). Replaced and voila!

Fixed...finally got around to it. Waited until we got home to have our local, trusted mechanic do the repair.

The problem was the hydraulic piston on the door side slideout (fluid bypass). Replaced and voila!

They did the piston on the door side also. that solved the slideout "creep" but he didn't bleed the piston before installing and the air went into the legs and they were then creeping up down! Took hours to get air out.

ksucats

Later posts gave the answer that I was going to mention - on my SOB that we traded I would have all three slide outs creep out about 4 to six inches every Spring. As the weather warmed up the fluid apparently did as well and then the slides would extend, in the order that they extended when we wanted them to. The bedroom, then off-door side and then the door slide. Ended up being the off-door side hydraulic piston had an internal leak. Took them two years to get it fixed -- Lippert stood by their warranty, and afterwards since it was already being worked on since before warranty expired. What made it so difficult is that I had had hydraulic front landing gear installed, by Lippert, about six months before all of this started. They kept thinking it was pressure from the landing gear that was causing it so replace this part, then that part, this strut, both struts, etc. Finally they did find the and for the following six years absolutely no problems.

Later posts gave the answer that I was going to mention - on my SOB that we traded I would have all three slide outs creep out about 4 to six inches every Spring. As the weather warmed up the fluid apparently did as well and then the slides would extend, in the order that they extended when we wanted them to. The bedroom, then off-door side and then the door slide. Ended up being the off-door side hydraulic piston had an internal leak. Took them two years to get it fixed -- Lippert stood by their warranty, and afterwards since it was already being worked on since before warranty expired. What made it so difficult is that I had had hydraulic front landing gear installed, by Lippert, about six months before all of this started. They kept thinking it was pressure from the landing gear that was causing it so replace this part, then that part, this strut, both struts, etc. Finally they did find the and for the following six years absolutely no problems.

My slideout piston was replaced also to stop the "creep" but now theres air in landing gear hydraulics. The front legs have issues when unhooking, it won't lift it up until I pull out with legs down and change position or rear legs then up it goes the rest of the way. I have to get the air out and its driving me nuts!