Slow Awning & Bunks

gpshemi

I've done some reading, but wondered if anyone here has had to deal with this? My awning is getting slower and slower even when on shore power.
My battery is weak, was hoping to make it through this year, but seems like when it's on shore power the weak battery shouldn't matter. I mentioned it being slow this weekend, and my wife commented that she thought the bunk beds were moving slow too.

Is my weak battery causing an amp / voltage loss?

Sigma

Before spending any money, give the battery posts a good cleaning.
What does your control center battery indicator show before and during the awning or slides moving?

Sig

porthole

Retired
Cyclones have an 80 amp converter, but if your connections are dirty or your battery is bad, it wont help.
How old is the battery and is the original put in by the dealer?

gpshemi

It's the original. I never get much more then a seasin or two out of a battery anyway. We often leave it hooked up to shore power and that seems to kill them.
Didn't get a chance to review it last night.

Lynn1130

Battery Tender. Best little charging device I have found. Batteries life is 18/24 months in our heat under normal driving conditions. I have had very good luck with RV batteries by keeping them on the Battery Tender when not in use. It seems to lengthen their life. In the case of my Quad, the battery lasted 10 years and that is just unheard of in Arizona. It was kept on the battery tender when-ever it was not being used. Since I have no power to the stored trailer now I am using a small solar panel that keeps a trickle on the batteries while it is stored. That seems to work pretty well. The main factor, I think, is not to fry them with a big charger/converted while they are stored.

Once the battery gets a weak or bad cell, your voltage is going to drop and it does not really matter whether you are hooked to shore or not because shore is just sending a charge to the battery, which is weak and cannot make it to 12 + volts. That means low voltage to the equipment that needs good voltage to work properly.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You need to replace the battery. Pretty soon it will affect your refridgerator operation, interior lights, and slideouts operation also.

gpshemi

Yeah I can't really use a battery tender. The coach gets used on weekends at our weekend property up north. We leave it plugged in for the food we have there.

I'll get a new battery.

porthole

Retired
AFAIK, all the Cyclones have 80 amp "smart chargers", built in wizard. I leave mine plugged in all season.

gpshemi

Beats me. It's a 2010, so it's the original battery and it was weak at the end of last year. Again, we park it 50-60% of it's use, and the other times we have full hook ups. So it's never been a big deal. However, if it's killing my...utilities...then I'll just pick up another one and see if that fixes it.

Wallace

Before you spend the money on a new battery, Get a Ohm meter and check to see if your battery is charging.
You need to leave it hooked to shore power, check the amps in your battery first, make note of it. Then turn on all your 12 volts lights (ie. ceiling lights porch lights) Check the battery again, your battery should be charging.
I have owned 2 Cyclones and I ended up replacing both converters.