So…I got a letter from Heartland this afternoon….

Mburtsvt

It was addressed to me. It started with “Dear Heartland RV Valued Dealer, (I’m not a dealer, but I play one on TV - not really). It’s a recall letter (safety recall notice 16V-879 TC2016-607). It’s in reference to the spare tire wheel not fitting correctly on Landmarks with disk brakes. The spare tire steel wheel will not properly fit on the axle hub on disk brake optioned RV’s.

The affected units are build between Sep30, 2015 - Oct 24, 2016.

I left a message with my dealer and they got back with me and are looking at how to complete the repair. It will not get done until late March, (winter in Montana - I’m not going anywhere right now).

Did not seem it to be a problem. I'll stand by for now.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Interesting! I did not get such a letter, but then I added my disk brakes after-the-fact, not from the factory. I wonder if I'll have the same issue with my spare now that I have the Mor-Ryde installed disk brakes.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Keith, I guess you'll have to get the elves out there to jack up a wheel and install the spare to check clearance. LOL

Mburtsvt

Late call from my dealer gave me an indication, (can't say for sure yet per them), that the solution may be a replacement wheel with one similar to the ones that are on the RV. We will see.

richheck

Seasoned Member
Spoke with the factory this afternoon, they will be shipping me a new aluminum wheel for me to take with the original spare to a local tire shop and have the shop swap the wheels. I have been instructed to email them a copy of the tire shop bill for reimbursement. My coach is over 2,000 miles from my dealer and we both agreed this was the easiest solution.

Last edited:

Mburtsvt

Spoke with the factory this afternoon, they will be shipping me a new aluminum wheel for me to take with the original spare to a local time shop and have the shop swap the wheels. I have been instructed to email them a copy of the tire shop bill for reimbursement. My coach is over 2,000 miles from my dealer and we both agreed this was the easiest solution.

Perfect solution..... I'm holding that out as plan "B" for now. Taking it to the dealer and having it takes 3-6 weeks just sounds more entertaining to me.

klindgren

Keith, I guess you'll have to get the elves out there to jack up a wheel and install the spare to check clearance. LOL
I'd
I'd love to Jay. Only problem is, with it being so close to Christmas, they are just too busy making toys to work on my camper. Guess I'll just have to wait till after Christmas to take a look. :cool:

porthole

Retired
H'mmm

I didn't get the wheels or trailers in question, but I do have one of those plain jane steel spares. Guess I should see if it actually fits before taking it on the next trip.

klindgren

H'mmm

I didn't get the wheels or trailers in question, but I do have one of those plain jane steel spares. Guess I should see if it actually fits before taking it on the next trip.
That's
That's exactly what I was thinking porthole. I'm not going anywhere for the next 3 months, but taking the better safe than sorry route, I'd like to make sure it will fit.

ksucats

As I recall the factory uses the Dexter disc brake and bearing kits. If so, it is my understanding that the Dexters are different than the aftermarket Titan or MorRyde (Kodiak) brake sets. From the reading I've done the Dexter set use proprietary brake pads and components while the Kodiak prize themselves on using some GMC/Chevrolet brake pads and components. Going to be interesting down the road if I have to change out pads for some reason :eek:.

Now, all that said, I'm wondering if the setback on the wheels is not sufficient to clear the calipers? Hmmm, guess mine is heading to the tire store at some point to have it checked.