so impressed with new gateway!!!

1_oldgoat

Swiftk77,
My 3500 RE has a standard refer, so i am sorry i can't answer that question for you, see if you can find a wattage number for me and the inverter figures and i can do some calculations for you, i was an avaition electronics tech in the Navy years ago but still remember some sthings i was taught about wattage amperage and volts, so if you can find out some numbers i can tell you if the inverter is big enough to handle the draw.
Sorry i couldn't be of more help there.
Marcus

Hi Marcus,
I'm glad you are back. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the truck. I hope it's not too serious.

The underbelly material on mine was about 5" too long. The wind bent it down some but did no real damage. I have trimmed the excess material and added one more screw, so I think that problem is solved.

I put a floor in the empty compartment and plan on keeping the water softener in there. I'm going to install a removable hatch similar to the one in the docking station, to run the water line in to the softener and then back over to the docking station.

We have not taken a trip with the camper yet. We spent one night driveway camping. Just today the mail brought another water hose I had ordered. I now have the camper hooked up to my water system with 125' of water hose. we are planning to spend the night out there tonight.

As I mentioned the old check book is a little light right now. Just a whole lot of bills along with buying a new camper. The first thing I'm going to buy is a Progressive surge protector. Then maybe the JT strong arms. We have the 6 point leveling system and the rear of the trailer is pretty stable, but the front could use some help.

Our first real trip is scheduled for next Friday for 3 nights. We are really looking forward to it. I know you said yours towed really well, but it still surprised me how good it does. I traded in a Jayco that was 2K pounds lighter and this tows better. I don't know how they do that.

I'm glad to hear what you said about the flooring. We have the movable island and I was concerned about the casters denting the flooring while bouncing around back there. I kept a couple of scraps of carpet, that were left in the camper, to put under the casters when moving, but maybe I don't need them.

Right now, the only thing I know of that is defective is one of the closet door latches. I'm not too sure about the inverter, one way or the other, but should know more after this next trip. Others are having problems and Heartland has swapped out the 1K watt for 2K watt inverters in some cases. I'll sure keep and eye on it for a while. All in all, we a real pleased with the Gateway.

I'm glad you are back. Have a nice Memorial Day and week end.

Don

1_oldgoat

Don,
Thanks much. You are going to love your Gateway, we sure have enjoyed ours so far. I am still having a few problems but nothing major, an intermitant kitchen sink leak has no ryme or reason to why it leaks or when, and second the offdoor slide dosn't seem to open all the way.
We used it during January through mid Feb, had temps below zero for about two weeks and froze up, if it we not from some help on this forum would have been hosed!! It did help show some weak links for cold weather camping, the low point drails froze and ice wicked up to the feed line from the fresh water tank to the pump, it took a few days to get that thawed out so i have now picked up some heat tape and plan on wraping them so it dosn't happen again, another great tip was wireless sensers for outdoor thermometers installed in the underbelly, i cut an access into the thermaplast for one of those and set it by the fresh water tank, another is by the water pump, while we do have tank heaters the lines can and will freeze so just one hing to watch.
I use a filter for fresh water and bought an adjustable regulator for the fresh water as well, filters are disposable and i replace every couple trips, i was using a std regulator along with a filter but water pressure was a little low so the adjustable i hook to the outlet side of the filter off of water spigots and then run a hose into the rv onto a 90º elbow, i can adjust pressure for whatever i need but set it at fifty lbs, the only problem we have had is the tanks fill quickly so if you are in a park with no sewer hookups a non adjustable may be better or just drop the pressure on the adjustable. We are going to be in a park this July with water but no sewer so will set it acordingly and post results.
Truck is still in the shop, they have replaced the same sensor twice now and finaly decided that is not the problem. Hope its done soon, tuesday will be two weeks since i dropped it off. We are looking at a new leftover 2013 ram and may buy one if the numbers work out.
We switched to this fifth wheel after owning and towing several bumper pulls and i was amazed at how well it tows and i pi ked up a couple miles to the gallon with a heaver rv, still scratching my head over that one!! Had to forget everything i thought i knew about backing up this one compared to bumper pulls, it dosn't turn as quickly and once it starts you better play catch real quick! At least thats my experience.
Again enjoy your new Gateway, and the forum, there are some great people on here with some excellent ideas and tips.
Marcus, Shelli and pretty boy Floyd

1_oldgoat

GSXR130,
We have used our new fw quite a bit since we took delivery last november but weather hasn't been the best o our outings so we have never used to awning, i opened it up today just to see how big it is, and you are correct, mine is close to seventeen feet wide but only six and a half feet out when extended so not very big at all, i noticed the arms are adjustable so it can be lowered a bit if a person wanted to but if the sun was shining directly at the doorside can see how that could be an issue. Thanks for pointing that out.
Marcus

1_oldgoat

Wow, i just noticed there have been over 7000 views on this thread, thats quite a few readers. Thanks to everyone for thier input and help as well as just taking time out of your day to see whats new here, when this thread was started i never thought it would get as much attention as it has. Again WOW!!!

GrumpyOneandTwo

Hey Marcus,
I see where I joined in your conversation on Jan. 6, 2014.......and I ain't shut up yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Memorial day tomorrow and Thank You For Your Service!!!! We Marines also thank you (Navy) for the free shuttle service across the big pond!!!!!

1_oldgoat

Mike buddy!! Thank you Marines for guarding our Naval bases!! Semper-fi! Not my thread, Heartland's Gateway owners!

Last edited:

1_oldgoat

Marcus here, i must have paid 275.00 for the JT's as i see they are on sale in the latest flier from camping world for $255.97, not sure what shipping would be but thats a good price for a complete set!!

Hi Marcus,
We enjoyed our little trip a lot. We spent 3 nights in River Terrace Park in Monticello, MN. It is located right on the Mississippi river and is 1/2 RV park and 1/2 permanent mobile home park. My wife was raised in Monticello and one of her brothers lives at River Terrace Park. The main reason for the trip was to attend a dance recital that one each of my wifes grand niece and nephew were in. While she was visiting family I ran down a satellite dish for direcTV. There is a guy in the Twin Cities area who is licensed to install dishes and previously worked for King Dome. I bought from him more for the education and hopefully future support than price.

The Gateway is very comfortable. I don't think we will have any problem living in it next winter. We had a couple of small problems. The shower enclosure leaked just like you predicted. The kitchen sink also leaked right at the top seam to the countertop. It appeared to have been sealed at one time and the silicone removed. Maybe they changed out the sink for some reason. The lower step drawer would not stay closed. I found out that the two pieces of the latch were not aligned. I took the drawer out and moved the part of the latch that was attached to the step and now that is fixed. I love the overall trailer but there are sure some things that they did not do right. For a "luxury" unit, I'm sure disappointed with the seventy five cent fan they put in the bathroom. I have added a Fantastic Vent fan to my wish list. There is always the little things to install in a new rig like paper towel and toilet paper holders. I'm trying to organize the storage space somewhat. I don't seam to have a lot of talent in that area so it's a struggle. I ran my awning out and it seamed to be normal width as compared to our last trailer. I'm not much on using the awning. I did notice that the angle was adjustable as you said. Our last one was also automatic but went out at much less of an angle and I never found an adjustment. It looks like this one could be lowered at one end to let water run off. I usually just push the button and run it in at night or if it looks like rain or else I just forget to put it out in the first place. we also had the hinge screw anchors pull out of one of the cabinet doors in the overhead cabinets over the couch. No real damage done. I just removed the door and glued the anchors back into the door and then reinstalled the door.

I'm really starting to wonder why I'm living in northern Minnesota. Last winter was terrible. We finally got some decent weather and now the mosquitoes are so bad you can't be outdoors without bug spray on. As soon as it dries out a little and the mosquitoes ease up then the deer fly season will start. Then we will get a month of perfect weather and then it will start to snow again.

I hope to get in about 3 more outings with the Gateway this summer. I hope all is well with you. Did you get your truck back from the shop or decide to buy the new one?

Don

1_oldgoat

Hey Don,
Good to hear no major issues for your first outing, sounds like everything that has gone wrong for myself as well as alot of other owners is still no being addressed at the factory, the shower and sink leaks especialy. I still have a leak around the shower stall after i sealed it up just in the front outside corner, as much silicone as i used i was shocked to see that. I was thinking about pulling the surround out and sealing around the bottom of it.
I know what you mean about winters, i am tired of freezing myself, the last couple have not been terrible as far as snow goes, just brutaly cold temps that are hard on my old bones! We are trying to sell our place so we can buy land closer to spokane and somewhere down south so we can spend our time in warm weather year round. Summer here hasn't started just yet, spring came in a hurry but winds have been terrible and its sucking moisture out of everything, lawn is drying up quick, having a hard time keeping up with watering.
Dumped the '07 Ram and found a new leftover 2013 Ram, another Mega Cab but thie new truck is a dually 3500 instead of srw, drove to kellogg friday to pick it up. Should do the job just fine. Mike was going to post specs on the tow vehicles i think. It will be nice to not worry while towing again.
Glad to hear you are enjoying the Gateway, there are a few things like you i think could be done a little better on them, but i think for the price point its very hard to beat, and i can change out what i want.
Thanks for checking back in.
Marcus Shelli and prettyboy Floyd

Hey Marcus,
Congratulations on the new truck. Now maybe Mike can get one too. I'm sure you will enjoy the one ton dually. I'm probably pushing the 3/4 ton, but it handles this trailer very well. I did put the best tires I could find on the truck. I forgot to mention that the shear pin for the rear stabilizers broke. So now my electric stabilizers are back to manual until I can get it fixed. I plan to take the Gateway back to the dealer for service this fall if I can wait that long. He suggested that once I get all of the load on it that will be going along this winter, that I should have the laser alignment done. It would seem to make sense. I hope to get at least one long trip out of the China Bomb tires.

We are planning a trip this fall starting with a 4 day Heartland Owners Club Rally in Two Harbors, MN, and continuing on across the upper peninsula of Michigan, across the Mackinaw Bridge and back west to Empire MI, which is west of Travers City. My Niece and her husband manage a campground there and this is their last year on the job, so we want to go visit them. That is the sand dunes area of Michigan. The whole trip should be about 2 1/2 weeks.

I just heard that, in Minnesota at least, the percentage of Bio-Diesel in the Diesel fuel will increase to 10 percent starting July 1st. I think I will be sure to have the tank full come the end of the month.

I've been thinking about the shower leak and will be trying to solve the problem soon. If I have any luck I will let you know. I do see where someone, probably the dealer, tried to add silicone without any improvement.

Take Care
Don

1_oldgoat

Don,
Good to hear from you, sounds like a great trip planned. We missed the wyoming rally because my old truck was in the shop and it took a few weeks for the dealer to figure out what was wrong, kind of bummed. Was looking forward to it. Maybe next year....
New truck is nice, will be towing this tuesday for the first time so kind of curious to see how it does stock, i have a tuner on the way along with an intake and dpf back exhaust, i wanted to get everythng installed before we take off but had the exhaust on backorder so stock is goinv tonhave to do for now.
I took our shower surround off, cleaned everything and tried to reseal, i have used the shower twice and so far it seems to be working but the rv is level or slightly to the left so no water sitting or running along the surround, we'll see if i fixed it this coming week, there was alot of silicone used at the factory suprisingly so i don't know why or where the water is coming from unless its leaking from behind and under the inside surround, i took the door surround off is all, water was coming from the front side corner, looked liked maybe from under the white plastic or fiberglass, if thats the case i'll let the dealer tear it apart.
We still need to get back in and get the rest of the warrenty work done from the first trip in, and should have while we have been sitting at home. Are you talking the shear pin on the electric motor that runs jacks up and down?? That would be an easy repair, just need a rill pin punch to remove he broken pieces and install a new pin in its place, that is a new one for me to hear of but i plan on hauling a punch and extra pin now. How are you running leveling jacks down now?? Front has a spot for manualy raising and lowering but i can't find or see any access to the rear to do that. Sorry for you, sounds like a pain. So far we have only had minor issues and the dealer was on the spot for repairing what they could, parts were the only reason they couldn't finish. I need a new hitch cover and fender flares now for ours, they cracked in a few spots so hope those don't take months to get replaced. I drilled a hole at the top of the crack on the hitch cover, should stop it from further damage.
Since we bought the Gateway last november we have been able to use it 6 out of the last 8 months, missed may because of the truck, should have used it in jne but have been busy with our house and property. Will be.on the road july, august maybe sept and november and then winterize.
I would hope by now anything that is going to go wrong has and no more issues, tires look good still and have several thousand miles on em, i think if the pressure is correct they will be fine, i have read horror stories on them so still a little leary but as i said so far so good, my dealer has laser for alignment and after we came home from spokane last trip we were definatly heavy, probably overloaded if truth be told so if anything was going to shift i would think it has, i plan on keeping a close eye this trip to see if any odd wear occures, roads will be alot hotter as well from previous trips, just another reason to keep an eye on em. Will let everyone know if i see any problems.
New truck has General tires on it, never heard of em but planned on running till they need replaced, i'm surre they aren't the best but if i get 25-30k out of em i'll be fine with that. I ran Yokohama AT's on the old truck and they were great, first set got 57k out kf a 50k tire, and we had 35k on the second set when i traded off the truck. We had great luck with them. Don't like the idea of buying 6 tires instead of 4 when its time to replace but with what i paid for the truck i saved ennough over the cost of a 2014 to cover several sets replaced.
Not sure on biodiesel, haven't seen it around here, still dealing with the def for the first time, so far its less than a penny a mile for that additive so not as bad as i though it would be.
Good luck on your trip, safe travels.
Marcus, Shelki and pretty boy Floyd

Hi Marcus,
It's good to hear from you. I'm sure you will enjoy the new truck. This last set of tires I put on ours were Toyo Open Country H/T Tuff Duty. They claim they are made for diesel pickups pulling heavy loads. I've got a couple of thousand miles on them and I'm happy so far. I'm leery about the tires on the Gateway, but we will see. When you read the forums they all seem to be bad, but very few people write in the say they have not had problems. I want to get a tire pressure monitor before we do a lot of towing.

The rear stabilizer did have a manual method on the opposite side of the camper from the motor. One of the crank shaped wrenches supplied with the Gateway fit it. I have replaced the roll pin. I believe it was a 3/16 x 3/4 and could have been a little longer but that is what the local hardware store had. It's working for now. I did buy two. I broke the original one raising the stabilizers. Once they are up don't touch the switch again. I'm learning.

I added some silicone to the tub surround and have not tried it yet. Here are a couple of pictures. The one is just to show the size of the knife blade that disappeared into the surround. There is a fairly large void behind that corner of the surround. The plastic is paper thin on that corner and there was a hole in it. I stuck the neck of the silicone tube in as far as I could and squeezed as much silicone in there as I could. I think this is where the leak was coming from. I'll let you know once I have used it some.

Don

WP_20140610_003.jpgWP_20140610_004.jpg

1_oldgoat

Don,
Thats exactly where my leak is, i can't tell if its from behind the white inside surround or the door surround, but same place as your leak is. I see the hold for the crank to go into but thought it was for opening the slide manualy if that motor quit, thats what i was told when i did my walk through anyway. Nice to know its for jacks now. I didn't get a label for the jt stabalizer jacks to put by the jack switchs to remind me to loosen the t-bolt locks on them so if i pull a bonehead move and forget and snap a roll pin at least i know i can still use em!!
Have to get ready to roll tomorrow, need to wash/wax the Gateway before we head out, going to be a chore climbing up and down a ladder but needs done badly, looks pretty sad sitting there covered in dust and bird droppings. No rv wash stations around here so the only way to do it is by hand, not a fun chore.....
Good to hear from you as well, let me know if that fixed your leak, mine seems to be good so far but time will tell this trip.
Safe travels
Marcus

1_oldgoat

Well, our leak is still there. Not sure exactly how water is coming out of the corner there after sealing the entire door surround, may just do as Don has and fill that corner with silicone and see if that works.....
We put the Gateway through the ultimate road test, travel over I 90 between Missoula montana and Spokane, the road has pot holes large enough to swallow my pickup, i figured if anything was going to break or fall off it should have, we got to Farragut state park and everything is fine, what a relief.
The park is beautiful, on Lake Pend Orelle, pronounced pond derray, huge place. Nice rv pads, water and power only, using a regulator i can adjust, i had it set at 45psi and filled our grey water holding taks in two days, so changed out to a std non adjustable and we will see if it makes any difference. Hate hauling anportable dump tank to drain grey water.....wi fi and cell service not so good, spotty at best.
Going to a brass regulator worked fine, less pressure but tanks held out for the rest of our stay. Was going to try and stay in Spokane area for another couple weeks and hit the rally there however every rv park is filled up for the month of July so we rolled home.
New truck did well, plenty of power, but mileage needs a little help, tuner should take care of that. The hitch cover on the Gateway exploded on the way home, it cracked along the leeft side if facing fwd where it screws to the underbelly and is now in a couple pieces, scared the heckmout of me when it let go.
Tires are holding up just fine but as i said the road over the pass's is terrible so i am going to get alignment checked when i go in to the dealership for the rest of what little warrenty work there is.
No other Gateway sightings again but did see a few Big Countrys and one Landmark, have yet to see another on the road but we sure have alot of people looking at ours wheile in the parks, a few even took pictures.....
Great trip all in all. Heading out again back to Montana to do a little fishing on the Big Hole, Blackfoot, Clarkfork and Beaverhead rivers, should be a great time Using a new hand build bamboo fly rod i built as well, anyone interested in one let me know.
Marcus Shelli, and prettyboy Floyd
.20140708_134609.jpgScreenshot_2014-07-06-16-56-43-1.jpg

1_oldgoat

Well, this should be my last post on this thread, suprised it is not closed yet.
Another year has come and gone, time to renew membership with Heartland, our 2014 Gateway 3500 RE has been very impressive and after 20k plus miles towing and visiting several states and campgrounds, we are still happy with our choice of fivers. No new trouble other than what i have posted here.
It is time for tires before we start traveling again in March, i was worried about the tow max tires but they have held up for us so can't complain about them. Looking at Sullian's probably spelled wrong, anyway have to special order a set plus spare. Reviews are good from what i can find.
Nothing else needs changed out, a bulb here and there, thats about the extent of things.
Wishing everyone a great new year and safe travels.
Marcus, Shelli and pretty boy Floyd

MCTalley

Glad to hear a follow-up with good news. The Sailun tires have traditionally gotten pretty good reviews here and elsewhere and are what Heartland is now supplying as the base tires on most of the fifth wheels (from what I understand) in place of the Towmax tires.