So what are your temperature limits for camping in your trailer?

Just bought a 2012 27RBS and wondering how low the temperature goes before you stop using it?

Is it possible to use it when it dips below freezing if you keep the heater on?

RuralPastor

Hi LeisureTime,
While it is easily possible to use RV's at temps much below freezing, one must take some special precautions. We added some insulation to the underbelly, heat-taped hose and water lines, added supplemental electric heat, and stayed for over 3 months at temps below zero. For those who stay long-term, canvas skirting helps immensely with heat loss. Vapor control can be problematic if left unchecked as well. Lots of possibilities to consider, but spending a couple of days in a snow storm inside an RV is heavenly for me!
Mark

dewwood

We have stayed in temps down to the teens without doing anything special except disconnecting the water and using on board water. If it stays that cold you will need to take some special precautions as stated above. If it only dips below freezing and then warms up during the day you should not have any issues.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree with the statements, if it dips below freezing at night but warms up above during the day, you'll probably be ok just disconnecting water and running off the fresh tank, as long as you run your heater and have the enclosed underbelly.

We try to take our coach skiing a couple times each year, for up to 10 days, and have added the heating tape and tank pads, so we don't have problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks to all for the replies. I don't plan to live in the snow - had enough of that for one lifetime - but am bound to get some short term freezing temps at some point. I will read the suggested guide and see what I can do to insulate...

priorguy

According to the brochure and website North Trails are tested to 0 degrees. They have the heated and enclosed underbelly and are built of aluminum and rigid foam with the same ratings as the big fivers. I have been near freezing in mine and the furnace barely ran. It was very comfortable to sleep and the feet weren't cold in the morning. The only thing to worry about would be water freezing, adding heat trace/tape and possibly tank pads would help if you have power. Also, having sticks and bricks facilities where you stay would help as well. I think you'll be ok, but many of the suggestions here will only help.

Wmnmy

we have been in 118deg-10deg with no problem you do need to get tank warmers for colder temps some have even put lights under to try and keep lines from freezing and of course disconnecting hose from city water putting it inside happy camping:rolleyes:

We try to take our coach skiing a couple times each year, for up to 10 days, and have added the heating tape and tank pads, so we don't have problems.
Wondering where you go and where you stay. Living this far south, if I book hotels over the school breaks, I generally choose Wolf Creek as it always has snow over Christmas. Where do you go and what campgrounds? Also, I guess if you pull north -- do you have to winterize for the transit. Living in Houston, I have no plans to winterize. If we get a cold "day", I will just plug it in to 110 at storage and run the heater on 45ish.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wondering where you go and where you stay. Living this far south, if I book hotels over the school breaks, I generally choose Wolf Creek as it always has snow over Christmas. Where do you go and what campgrounds? Also, I guess if you pull north -- do you have to winterize for the transit. Living in Houston, I have no plans to winterize. If we get a cold "day", I will just plug it in to 110 at storage and run the heater on 45ish.

Yes, we usually winterize before freezing temps hit the DFW area, which could be mid to late November. We de-winterize when we arrive. Sometimes we've had to winterize again before heading home, but since we are usually back into above-freezing temps heading towards home, sometimes we haven't had to until we get home and put the rig in storage again.

We have been to Westerly RV Park in Durango, Co or Tiger Run Resort in Breckenridge, Co over the Christmas/New Years Holidays.

py9yqena.jpg

We have also been to Circle B RV Park in Ruidoso, NM, and Santa Fe Skies RV Park in Santa Fe, NM for skiing over Spring Break (March).

We are limited to when we can go, DH is a HS Band Director so we follow the school schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

9-larry

all of the suggestion made here are good ones, only thing to watch for is using electric heaters in side living area of trailer. I made this mistake and froze up water lines in bathroom because when heater keeps living area warm the furnace is not running as much and the furnace is what heats the under belly where the water lines are.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
all of the suggestion made here are good ones, only thing to watch for is using electric heaters in side living area of trailer. I made this mistake and froze up water lines in bathroom because when heater keeps living area warm the furnace is not running as much and the furnace is what heats the under belly where the water lines are.

That is true. You must run your furnace to heat the underbelly unless you put a freestanding heater in the underbelly. Personally I don't trust the space heaters enough to put one in the basement.