Solid surface counter top

Snowtek

We have a 2011 landmark with the dark solid surface counter top. What is the best way to to refinish the counter top? grandkids scratched it up a little bit. Can I use a fine rubbing compound?

branson4020

Icantre Member
Here is a link to the manufacturer's recommended cleaning and repair procedures. They recommend a blue Scotchbrite pad for polishing out small scratches.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Forget the Scotchbrite pad. All I got with it was dull. Get some wet/dry sandpaper in 150,. 220, 320, 600, 800, and 1000 grit. With that, get some automotive polishing cream and a can of MacGuiars paste wax. Mix up a little Dawn dish soap in water and "flood" the area to be repaired. Work each grit with fresh water, cleaning off after each. Use the polishing cream (NOT rubbing compound) per instruction on the bottle and follow with the paste wax. A little elbow grease and the counter should be good or gooder than new.

Birchwood

I just redone my countertops on our Landmark.They scratch very easily and we almost don't even want
to use them because in 6 months they will be scratched again.I tried the scotch pads but unless you
want to wear out your arms forget it.
I did use a green scotch pad to remove the deep scratches and get the countertop to the same dullness.
I then used wet sand paper as used in the automotive industry.After using the green scotch brite I then
polished the top with an electric palm sander using 400 grit using a spray water bottle for polishing and
retarding the dust.After many passes with the 400 grit I then used an 800 grit and did the same.
To get the factory shine you then have to polish with a 1000 grit for many minutes.
The end shine is directly proportional to the amount of time you spend polishing.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Forget the Scotchbrite pad. All I got with it was dull. Get some wet/dry sandpaper in 150,. 220, 320, 600, 800, and 1000 grit. With that, get some automotive polishing cream and a can of MacGuiars paste wax. Mix up a little Dawn dish soap in water and "flood" the area to be repaired. Work each grit with fresh water, cleaning off after each. Use the polishing cream (NOT rubbing compound) per instruction on the bottle and follow with the paste wax. A little elbow grease and the counter should be good or gooder than new.

Man, if that's waht it takes to make them shiny, then I'm just gonna learn to love that matte finish.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Man, if that's waht it takes to make them shiny, then I'm just gonna learn to love that matte finish.

Actually, it was not that hard. I had some pretty good scratches where the burglars crawled or dragged over the counter tops. The Scotchbrite pad actually made it look worse. The results after applying the MacGuiar's scared the heck out of Max when he jumped on the counter and slid right off. With the extra sandpaper and cream, I've got a small tote as a counter repair kit now.

Birchwood

Its just another ongoing maintenance procedure when you RV.I think the matte finish is the way to go
as the shiny surface is for selling the Rv but not practical .