SOLVED - AC Power Issue with MPG 185

rle9599

Re: mpg 185 issues............

Brainstorm - talked with a SUPER good friend of mine from South Carolina (Glen Simpson - owner of Palmetto Truck & RV) and he recommends checking the GFCIs! Duh - GFCIs in a travel trailer? Never even crossed my mind. If one of those is tripped I may not see power depending on how everything is wired!

danemayer

Do you have a voltmeter to check whether you have 110V AC at the input side of the power converter and to check for 12V DC on the output side? It's going to be very difficult to figure out where the problem is without a voltmeter.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

Brainstorm - talked with a SUPER good friend of mine from South Carolina (Glen Simpson - owner of Palmetto Truck & RV) and he recommends checking the GFCIs! Duh - GFCIs in a travel trailer? Never even crossed my mind. If one of those is tripped I may not see power depending on how everything is wired!

A tripped GFI will cause one circuit to fail so maybe. Could be just your furnace controls trying to start with the propane off.

rle9599

I have FLUKE 115, off New Years Day and will be checking everything I have access to. I'll deal with the furnace later - 1st goal is AC power. The journey continues.......

rle9599

There be power to my mpg! :cool: With my FLUKE 115 multimeter in hand I started at the AC outlet (122 volts), checked continuity on the 30 to 15 amp adapter (all 3 terminals passed), plugged everything in to check the terminals that connect to the mpg and NOTHING - zero voltage and 2 of the 3 terminals did not have continuity! :rolleyes: The prongs entering the 30/15 adapter were pressed completely flat and were not making contact inside the adapter. The +/- prongs are like a "wafer" so I took a small screwdriver, slightly opened the middle of the prongs and - PRESTO - there be power on New Years Day. I also believe I've solved the furnace blower problem? It's so cold in my mpg that the temperature coil terminal never breaks contact with the fixed terminal, so no matter where I set the thermostat it's making contact and trying to run. I took a small folded piece of paper and placed it between the 2 contacts to break the connection and a minute or 2 later the fan shut off. Now I need to take a tiny "eyeglass" screwdriver and back the fixed contact away from the coil contact. Happy New Years everyone! :D

Last edited:

rle9599

As far as I'm concerned my FLUKE 115 multimeter just paid for itself............

priorguy

As far as I'm concerned my FLUKE 115 multimeter just paid for itself............

I've had a Fluke 73 III since college and use it daily. Reliable and practical. I trust it much more then the cheap stuff. Definitely paid for itself many times over in my line of work, and at home or the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk