SOLVED - AC Power Issue with MPG 185

rle9599

OK, started working on my mpg 185 today and have a couple issues:

1) I have power when connected to my truck but I have no power when connected to 110V AC outlet at storage facility. The 110V outlet has power (I plugged in a portable light that worked fine). I cycled every breaker - nothing. Am I missing something here? Is there a switch to swap between battery/DC and Shore AC? :confused:

2) When connected to my truck the furnace blower under the bed runs continuously. I turned the thermostat all the way down (no Off/Cold/Heat switch on the thermostat) - didn't help, still runs. I even turned off all the breakers and it still runs. Maybe I'll pull the dang fuse! Frustrated :mad:

I do not have the mpg 185 owners manual and can only find Heartland's "generic" manual online.

Thanks for any help.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: mpg 185 issues............

Check the converter and make sure it is plugged in.
Does the battery on your MPG have a full charge?
Is the battery connected correctly?
Also check to see if there are any fuses on the converter. If at some point the battery cables were connected in reverse that would blow a fuse or two on the converter.
If you are cycling the breakers, that will not help your 12 volt power loss, other than the one that controls the converter.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Any chance you're looking at a thermostat for a fantastic fan, rather than the main thermostat that operates the furnace?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rle9599

Forgive me, but I do not know where the converter is located? I purchased a new Interstate srm-27 battery but have not installed it. Does a battery have to be connected when using AC?

rle9599

Didn't know there were multiple thermostats? The only thermostat I see is the one mounted on the wall.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

I purchased a new Interstate srm-27 battery but have not installed it. Does a battery have to be connected when using AC?
Don't know for sure, but install the battery and find out.
I do not know where your converter is located.

Peace
Dave

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

Forgive me, but I do not know where the converter is located? I purchased a new Interstate srm-27 battery but have not installed it. Does a battery have to be connected when using AC?

I'll take a educated guess.... Your converter is not working properly. Also the battery is needed for your RV to work correctly (like the refrig)

rle9599

OK, I'll stop by tomorrow, install the battery and try again. I'm new to travel trailers but can't imagine for the life of me why the battery would be required for AC usage? The battery is DC and should be bypassed when using AC!

danemayer

Didn't know there were multiple thermostats? The only thermostat I see is the one mounted on the wall.
Some trailers have ceiling fans that are operated by a simple switch. Others have fans like the Fantastic Fan, that is operated by a simple thermostat like the one you're describing.

I'm not familiar with the thermostat that's in an MPG, but I've never seen a thermostat that didn't have an OFF setting. That's why I thought it might be for an exhaust fan.

The typical trailer 12V system has power to the 12V fuse box from both the battery and from the power converter. I think all trailers can run the 12V systems that are powered through the fuse box from just the power converter. I don't know where yours is located on the MPG, but it does sound like it's not working.

Even if you install the battery, you'll need to figure out why the furnace blower is running all the time. If you just let it run, it'll drain your battery in a day, give or take a little.

Has the trailer worked correctly in the past?

rle9599

It's not the "roof" fan, it's the blower on the furnace under the bed! I'll look again tomorrow but the thermostat has only one adjustment - the temp set "slide" on the bottom of the thermostat. No second "off/cool/heat" toggle switch! This mpg has never been slept in - it's 3 years old but virtually brand new. My mother purchased this, put it in storage and it has never been serviced or camped in. I have another "toy" to work on, learning on the fly and know nothing about RVing!

priorguy

Gotta be a blow fuse on the converter itself as stuff works when hooked to the truck 7 pin but not when on converter only. The breakers are all 120v AC and you will see fuses in the same panel. Your converter main may be blown.

The thermostat is like what I had on my tent trailers that controlled heat only. One side of the switch will be off the other all the way on. Check the manual section on the forum.

Sitting for 3 years I'm gonna chance the battery is toast and a new one in order.

You can find out a lot with a simple volt meter. It can also keep you from getting hurt.

Best of luck with your new project/toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rle9599

The original battery is at Mom's house and I consider it useless! I purchased a brand new Interstate srm-27 Friday. Where the heck is this converter located on a mpg 185??????? I have no idea what it looks like or it's location. I do not and cannot find a mpg 185 owner's manual anywhere!

danemayer

The original battery is at Mom's house and I consider it useless! I purchased a brand new Interstate srm-27 Friday. Where the heck is this converter located on a mpg 185??????? I have no idea what it looks like or it's location. I do not and cannot find a mpg 185 owner's manual anywhere!
On Monday, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They should be able to tell you where the power converter is located.

There are no product-specific manuals - just the generic one, plus the various appliance and device manuals along with some owner-written user and troubleshooting guides in the manuals section of the forum.

priorguy

mpg 185 issues............

Look for a blue pouch in one of the drawers or cabinets it will have any manuals inside. If you found the circuit breakers they are on the converter. The AC and DC are in the same box. It should be something simple like the converter main us tripped or tripping because everything works when plugged to the truck. The answer will come and you're probably really close already.

Here's a link to the converter in my north trail. Should be similar as heartland buys in bulk I bet.

http://www.wfcoelectronics.com/UI/WF-8955-55-Amp-Power-Center.aspx?ptype=3&pid=9

Once you find your make and model the manufacturers site should have documentation and troubleshooting guides.

rle9599

I "inherited" this mpg from my mom (has dementia) so there is NO telling where the original paperwork is? I'll dig around more tomorrow but if I can't find anything I'll haul the thing to my local Heartland dealer here in Houston and pay them to show me everything about the mpg.

priorguy

I "inherited" this mpg from my mom (has dementia) so there is NO telling where the original paperwork is? I'll dig around more tomorrow but if I can't find anything I'll haul the thing to my local Heartland dealer here in Houston and pay them to show me everything about the mpg.

Not a bad idea, but call ahead. If you take it where she bought it they would probably do it for free because there's one thing common among all RVers, the need to upsize every so often. You will definitely get all the answers you need from a reputable dealer.

rle9599

Purchase dealer is 2.5 hours drive (please do not ask why mom purchased a mpg 150 miles outside Houston because I DON'T KNOW?).

priorguy

Maybe your local dealer will be good to work with. Be careful though or your could leave there with a bigger trailer lol.

rle9599

OK - I give up! I have AC power up to the mpg socket, found the converter, cycled all breakers, pulled / inspected the 2-40 amp main fuses and I can't find anything wrong. I pulled the cover off the thermostat and there is no "Off" switch. I pulled the dang furnace fuse so that temporarily fixed that annoying problem. Time for a trip to a service center. This is not starting well!

priorguy

All you really have invested in this so far is your time and maybe the pros will be able to teach you everything you need to know. Unless there's a handy heartlander in your town with some time to share with you and show you a few things themselves.