SOLVED: Fresh Water Tank Filling Itself - oops!

jbeletti

I've been here before. The last time my fresh water tank was filling itself, it was the water pump. Probably had debris in the diaphragm - but I just changed out the pump to resolve it.

This time, I could have a combination issue. For the past year, when I'm not connected to city water and have the Anderson valve in the City (use shore water) position, when the pump is on, water pumps out the city water connection. City is the wrong position for using the pump, but sometimes I forget to place it in the Normal (use pump/tank) position. I believe I have a defective Anderson valve. I've been carrying around the replacement valve, just never made it a priority to replace it.

Last night, upon return to the RV after a movie, a neighbor told me I have a water leak. All was good inside, so I looked outside. I found water dripping from the fresh water tank vent. The vent terminates into a 90 degree plastic connector through the I-beam frame on the ODS near the tires. This means that my fresh water tank is being filled somehow. So fresh water is finding its way from my city water connection on the Anderson valve, through the valve, out the path to the water pump, through the pump and into the tank.

As I'm carrying an Anderson valve, I think I'll go ahead and get that replaced. Then I may stop at Camping World or similar and pickup an inline check valve and place it at the output of the water pump. I looked at reviews on Amazon of the Shurflo inline check valve and they were not favorable.

MTPockets

Re: Fresh Water Tank Filling Itself - oops!

An ORing on the Anderson valve cartridge was split on mine. I simply replaced the cartridge which can be done from the front instead of having to undo all the plumbing. I had a spare valve, so I removed the cartridge and put it into the valve. I was able to get a replacement cartridge through WESCO. Note, before removing cartridge, there is a small Allen screw in the thread of the cartridge nut. Remove that first.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I put cutoff valves on the fresh water overflo. It also keeps the water from sloshing out when traveling. But I am confused. If you are not connected to city water and the fresh water tank is filling, where is the water coming from? If it is coming from the fresh water tank then it seems to me like it is coming from the fresh water tank and filling the fresh water tank, which makes the water traveling in a 'loop'.

On another similar topic, why are the coaches designed to have an automatic changeover. In other words..to change from city water to tank water, all you need to do is turn on the pump without having to turn all these valves. I know it can be done because that is how we did it in our Alfa Gold. Maybe something the factory could look at.

jbeletti

Terry - thanks for the tip! Now that I may have 2 issues with the valve, I may still replace the whole thing.

Jim G - I posted about two issues. The water coming from the tank vent happens when connected to City water. It's pushing back through the system into the tank. If I put a shut-off on that vent, my tank's integrity "could" become compromised.

As for the auto-change-over you mention from city to/from tank/pump, I think this is done with a method of plumbing the system. Suppose it could be done and actually, before we went with the 4-way selector we refer to as the Anderson valve, I believe this "was" possible.

TedS

Water should not come out the city water connection when you run the pump. That connection has a check valve to prevent that. That valve could be bad or have debris in it.

danemayer

Jim,

The fact that the pump gets water to the fixtures when the valve is set to CITY argues that the valve is compromised. That same problem could be allowing water pressure on the city water inlet when set to NORMAL. It's also possible there is no longer a check valve at the city water inlet, since I think the Anderson Valve normally provides that function.

Anyway, my guess is that you have one problem - a compromised Anderson Valve. And I wouldn't be surprised if Terry is correct that the o-ring is the weak point. When you replace yours, maybe you can take a look. If it is the o-rings, maybe you can persuade someone at Heartland to provide a part number and source for replacement o-rings.

Anderson Valve Central Rotor.jpg

jbeletti

Ok - part one of the repair is done. Maybe there won't need to be a part two. As most guessed, for one part of my problem, it was in fact a compromised Anderson Kantleak 4-way valve. In fact, there was debris in the check valve at the City water connection. I never "visually" noticed the debris keeping check valve open as I have a quick-coupling on the inlet.

I've attached pictures of the repair. One of them shows the valve being held open. It was a small, sharp-edged little rock. Likely got into my hose when I drug it across a site or just maybe it was passed by the hydrant at a park.

I'm hopeful but not optimistic this is was was causing water to fill my fresh water tank. I do believe I'll be adding a check valve to the output of the pump soon :) Anyone know if the spring pressure of the brass Camco valve some of us have used for our water heater outputs is suitable for the water pump?

Pictures
Anderson Kantleak 4-Way Valve - Before.jpg Anderson Kantleak 4-Way Valve - Back 1 - Before.jpg Anderson Kantleak 4-Way Valve - Back 2 - Before.jpg Anderson Kantleak 4-Way Valve - Old vs New - Showing Debris in Old Valve.jpg Fresh Water Tank Vent.jpg

The Fix
For those that need to replace this valve - rare, but it happens, it's easy. Here's what I did:
  1. Shut off water, turn off water pump, release pressure on hot and cold side using any faucet
  2. Inside the UDC, remove 8 screws holding the Anderson Kantleak valve in place (Philips or #2 square bit)
  3. Remove the utility wall to expose the back of the UDC
  4. On the backside of the UDC, memorize, take a picture of or number the lines and the valve ports (if needed)
  5. Using your hands and/or a slip-joint wrench (if needed), remove all 5 water connection points to the valve
  6. Push the old valve out into the UDC, place the new valve into the old hole
  7. Carefully reconnect and tighten down all 5 water connection points
  8. Reconnect water, try valve in all positions, taking note of and taking care of any water leaks at your 5 water connection points on the back of the UDC
  9. Verify too that the issue that caused you to replace the valve is no longer present
  10. Replace the 8 screws holding the valve in the UDC
  11. Put your wall back in place, tools away, reload the basement. Marvel in what you've accomplished in less than 45 minutes, then help someone else at your camground make a repair or mod :)

Last edited:

pegmikef

Jim, Where does one find spare valves for the Anderson setup? Thanks, Mike

jbeletti

Jim, Where does one find spare valves for the Anderson setup? Thanks, Mike

Mike, I've seen them at Camping World before. I got mine from Heartland Customer Service. Been carrying it for a year. If you'll be at the Sweetheart Rally, you can have my old valve. I got the debris out of it. Should make a good spare.

TedS

Jim, since the pump suction and fresh water tank line go through the Anderson valve, replacing or resealing the valve may very well solve your tank fill problem.

pegmikef

Mike, I've seen them at Camping World before. I got mine from Heartland Customer Service. Been carrying it for a year. If you'll be at the Sweetheart Rally, you can have my old valve. I got the debris out of it. Should make a good spare.

Thanx Jim. Yeah we're gonna be there, but not until Wednesday as we don't get back from Florida until the fifth and will need a few days to regroup.

olcoon

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there have been several posts about problems with the Anderson Valve. Some of them appear to have been "operator error". I don't have one on my coach, but sometime in the future we are planning on getting a new rig, which I'm sure will have one on it. Are these valves good, or are they a problem child? When we do get a new rig is this something I should get as a spare, or is there something "better" that could be installed?

TedS

If there was a sharp piece of rock stuck in the city check valve, I would not be surprised if other pieces got into the Anderson valve and scored the bore that the valve spool turns in creating an internal leak.

jbeletti

Closing the case on this one. Replacing the Anderson valve solved both issues - fresh water tank filling up on City water and water coming out of City water connection point when pump is on and valve is left in City position.