SOLVED: Hydraulic Landing gear will not extend

wclark

Hydraulic front landing gear switch was not working when arrived at campground. Had a service tech out and he tried to replace the switch with one that was not a Lippert. Did not work and he tried to hot wire the switch to get the jacks down. They would only go down a little then stop. He retracted them first and I told him to stop. Checked all the wiring, fuse, motor. power etc. All seems fine. Ordering a new switch and he seems to think this will solve all the problems??? I'm a little concerned that by hot wiring the switch and/or by putting the wrong one in /or by running the legs up to far, something else might be wrong.
Has anyone had a similar problem????

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Hydraulic Landing gear will not extend

There is an auto resetting breaker for the hydraulic pump.
They do get weak and cause intermittent tripping.
It's about $10 and five minutes to change it.
Cheaper and easier so that is what I would change first.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my awesome Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

wclark

There is an auto resetting breaker for the hydraulic pump.
They do get weak and cause intermittent tripping.
It's about $10 and five minutes to change it.
Cheaper and easier so that is what I would change first.

Peace
Dave

Hi Dave
If that's the little black button I have pressed it. So did the tech guy. Do you think that just getting a new switch is going to correct this problem? That is what I am being told. i should advise them to change the reset breaker also !

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

No, not the manual reset.
Follow the heavy red wire from the pump to the breaker, that's the one you will want to change. 50 amp.
They do get weak and a replacement may be in order

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Here's a typical arrangement on the bus bar with the 12V mini-circuit breakers. Note there are 2 heavy red wires attached on top. Of the two, the breaker that doesn't have a heavy wire attached on the bottom goes to the hydraulics.

If you have stabilizers operated with a switch, it's probably the same type switch used on the landing gear. People have used that switch as a spare to work around the problem. Good idea to label the wires and take a picture with your phone so you can get everything back together when a new switch arrives.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 50

wclark

Here's a typical arrangement on the bus bar with the 12V mini-circuit breakers. Note there are 2 heavy red wires attached on top. Of the two, the breaker that doesn't have a heavy wire attached on the bottom goes to the hydraulics.If you have stabilizers operated with a switch, it's probably the same type switch used on the landing gear. People have used that switch as a spare to work around the problem. Good idea to label the wires and take a picture with your phone so you can get everything back together when a new switch arrives.
Not that lucky. We only have 4 breakers and all of them are in use.

danemayer

Not that lucky. We only have 4 breakers and all of them are in use.

Do you have a switch to operate stabilizers? Disconnect it and use that as the temporary replacement for the landing gear switch.

wclark

Back stabilizers are electric not hydraulic. Different switch. Would it work anyway!

danemayer

Back stabilizers are electric not hydraulic. Different switch. Would it work anyway!

Both switches apply 12V DC to run a motor forward or backward. Other people have used the stabilizer switch as a temp on the landing gear. But take a picture on your phone and label wires so you can put things back correctly.

wclark

Thank you everyone for your help. Back on the road again with working hydraulics. Was able to unhook buy a switch and install it.
Wendy