SOLVED: Level up power

Lou_and_Bette

My level up system has become unable to auto level. I tried resetting zero point but that didn't solve the problem. I did search the threads and noted some have "disconnected power to the unit and rebooted it." Now my questions,
1. Is the brain in the control panel or in one of the sensors?

2. Is there a power wire going to the brain, where ever it is, that can be disconnected to reboot?

3. The other threads mentioned discontinuing the battery to reboot, do I have to remove a cable from the batteries or can I just turn the main 12volt master switch off?

Last edited:

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Re: Level up power

Since shore power isn't required to operate the system I would have to think that the batteries need to be disconnected to reboot.

porthole

Retired

But - if shore power is connected, disconnecting the batteries will not necessarily disconnect all the 12 volt systems.

Plugged in, the converter will still be converting, even with the batteries disconnected. So it will depend on where the converter is connected to the 12 volt system, before or after the battery disconnect switch.

avvidclif

When I contacted Lippert about my Level-Up system causing problems I asked about rebooting it. They said it had an EEPROM for memory and unplugging wouldn't do anything and it didn't. It turns out the remote sensor had a bad connection. I repaired that but it still wouldn't auto-level correctly(it will quit before all the jacks are on the ground) so I just manually do it. It's faster and done the way I want. When the sensor was bad it would try and turn over the RV.

danemayer

Least disruptive way to cut all power to the 12V devices is to switch off the Power Converter circuit breaker, and switch off the battery cutoff switch. That will remove all power to the levelup.

Keep in mind that the thermostat needs 12V DC, so your A/C (or furnace) won't run in this condition.

Gary521

The control for the system is located in the front compartment toward the ceiling in the center. On the control, there are three of four plugs with wires. Pull the plug with the single red wire, this is the power wire. Leave it off for a minute and plug it back on. Then recalibrate the system. This process has worked for a few people. ( me included ). If this does not work, look for a loose or corroded connection.

Lou_and_Bette

The control for the system is located in the front compartment toward the ceiling in the center. On the control, there are three of four plugs with wires. Pull the plug with the single red wire, this is the power wire. Leave it off for a minute and plug it back on. Then recalibrate the system. This process has worked for a few people. ( me included ). If this does not work, look for a loose or corroded connection.

Thanks Gary, that's what I was looking for...I knew that shore power would have to be disconnected to eliminate all power to the rig/level up. I was looking for a way to isolate the level up brain and reduce the impact of a total shutdown. I will give this a try when we reach a more level campground.

- - - Updated - - -

Least disruptive way to cut all power to the 12V devices is to switch off the Power Converter circuit breaker, and switch off the battery cutoff switch. That will remove all power to the levelup.

Keep in mind that the thermostat needs 12V DC, so your A/C (or furnace) won't run in this condition.

Thanks Dan, where would I look for the C.B. for the P.C.?

Lou_and_Bette

When I contacted Lippert about my Level-Up system causing problems I asked about rebooting it. They said it had an EEPROM for memory and unplugging wouldn't do anything and it didn't. It turns out the remote sensor had a bad connection. I repaired that but it still wouldn't auto-level correctly(it will quit before all the jacks are on the ground) so I just manually do it. It's faster and done the way I want. When the sensor was bad it would try and turn over the RV.

Thanks Clif, mine is doing something similar, not grounding ODS before lowering DS. Using manual controls works but at the site we're in now I had to lower ODS legs but had to periodically lower front legs to be able to fully extend. rear 2 legs because using "left" control also raises front before significant ODS slope was counteracted. Was certainly a learning experience on how to use the Manual Controls all while under the "piercing" gaze of my DW 😥

avvidclif

The way I cut power was to unplug the "brain(using the term very loosely)" in the front compartment. IIRC it was the 2 or 3 hole plug with the red wire.

Lou_and_Bette

Lou,

Look in the main circuit breaker panel inside the coach. If you're lucky, the breakers will be labeled and one will say "Converter".

?? I have a main circuit breaker panel?? 😮 Only kidding, thanks Dan, hadn't gotten down on my knees to check the panel before but there it is. Going to try Clif's suggestion but if it doesn't work, will do it your way. One way or the other, power is going off to the brain when we get to a fairly level site because I know I need to reset the zero point after rebooting. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired

?? I have a main circuit breaker panel?? 😮 Only kidding, thanks Dan, hadn't gotten down on my knees to check the panel before but there it is. Going to try Clif's suggestion but if it doesn't work, will do it your way. One way or the other, power is going off to the brain when we get to a fairly level site because I know I need to reset the zero point after rebooting. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Lou, you don't have to be on a level site to set zero, you just have to be level.

Cfd2432

Had the same problem last year on mine replaced in line breaker.located somewhere close to the main Control box

Lou_and_Bette

Lou, you don't have to be on a level site to set zero, you just have to be level.

Understood Duane, however, there isn't a spot any larger than a sheet of newspaper that is level on this site and getting it level required a lot of blocks under ODS. I prefer to wait until I get to a site that is closer to flat before I reboot in case it doesn't work and I have to do it manually.

PondSkum

I have similar issue. Mine will stop working as soon as all the jacks hit the ground. Then waits a minute and shows "Jack Timeout" on the screen. Haven't been able to figure it out and have recalibrated zero level point and "reset" the brain several times. Following to see if you get yours figured out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

I have similar issue. Mine will stop working as soon as all the jacks hit the ground. Then waits a minute and shows "Jack Timeout" on the screen. Haven't been able to figure it out and have recalibrated zero level point and "reset" the brain several times. Following to see if you get yours figured out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine doesn't even ground the ODS legs before switching to DS legs. Had it overextend the DS once when problem first started and I won't let that happen again so I stop operation as soon as the ODS legs stop and switch to manual. Like you, I have done the zero point reset several times without correcting the problem. So, will try rebooting the system before I go looking for the rear sensor and hopefully that won't be necessary. I will update my post after the next intervention. Stay tuned, "Same Bat channel!"

Lou_and_Bette

Re: Level up power-SOLUTION

So, we arrived at Issaquah Viilage RV Park near Seattle and got a real level site that I was planning to reboot the Level Up brain after we were fully set up. I went ahead and, after disconnecting the TV, pushed "Auto Level," which had, on multiple prior occasions, resulted in having to abort the process and manually level the rig. This time the "Auto Level" worked flawlessly...what the heck??? What I haven't told you is I had noticed what looked like an oily substance on an area near the middle leg on the ODS (this is the side that wouldn't automatically ground the middle and rear legs.). There was a small amount of a "greasy" substance on the hose near the connector. Neither the frame area nor the hose ever had any fluid dripping/running down so speculated that I had picked up something from the road. Had a down day before we left our last location and, for the lack of anything else to do, crawled under the rig with my wrenches and, after cleaning the end of the hose and the frame area, tightened the two nuts on the connection. Couldn't tighten more than a quarter turn on the bigger nut and almost no movement on the other one. Looked at the reservoir but, with the slides being out and the legs down, couldn't really tell if I was low on fluid or not. Luckily, the Clickners are camped right besides us in their Big Horn and I could look at his reservoir level and determined mine was significantly lower. I carry a quart of Mercon V ATF with me since it can go in the truck's tranny and the Level Up also. Added the quart in the reservoir knowing that if I overfilled I would have a messy situation when I closed up. When hook up was complete, slowly opened front panel and fluid level was about 1/2-1" below fill mouth (whew.). So now level line is marked on reservoir when everything extended. Moral of the story, don't take anything for granted...I will be keeping a close eye on the hose to ensure it is not leaking. If it is a problem with the hose, it is minor and hopefully can be nursed until we get back to our winter place when I will repair/replace the hose.

porthole

Retired

When we were at Goshen I had Lippert look at a couple of leaks, they found a couple of less then tight fittings. The tech said he tightened them about 1/4 turn.

Lou_and_Bette

Thanks for that info Duane. I was a little tentative about tightening the connection for fear of over compressing a O ring or gasket. I hadn't thought about checking the others since there was no obvious problem but I will be checking them all now.

Lou_and_Bette

So, after my last post on this thread and a brief spell of working flawlessly, the LevelUp system again became intermittent in its operation. Would level the rig at one or two sites and then would require me to interrupt the cycle and level it manually. I have been mulling this problem over since we arrived at our winter site as I tend to procrastinate when dealing with a problem that seems beyond my capabilities. So today, as our time of being parked at our winter home is rapidly getting shorter, I decided to at least take a shot at figuring out the cause of the problem. I have tried a couple of simpple solutions without success so time to try some more involved solutions and would start with the problem lying with the rear sensor. I didn’t want to drop the whole underbelly to find the location of the sensor and didn’t want to just start randomly cutting holes in the Cloroplast so what to do? I remembered Dan had indicated the sensor was located on either the cross member behind or in front of the water but which one? I found I could remove several screws on the door side and, after dropping the spare tire carrier down, pull down the chloroplast and insulation enough to see the sensor lying on the top of the chloroplast near the forward cross member. Cut the chloroplast on 3 sides as discussed in other threads, remounted the sensor in the correct position. Tape the chloroplast up and all is well. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum.