some pre-purchase 'option questions'

Hi all -- DW and I have a few questions for the BH experts

1. which options would you recommend as "must have"? for example, for noise and condensation control it seems to me that dual pane windows would be highly recommended

2. do you all like the slide awning package? seems like a good idea, but also a risk for tearing or other damage in freezing weather

3. on the 3010RL -- does the dinette expand to accept two folding chairs?

4. Why is the G tires upgrade so expensive --I guess because higher rated rims are part of the upgrade as well? $500/tire is alot

5. On the 3010RL -- where are the water tanks with respect to the axle? I'm trying to get a feel for impact on pin weight.

6. what do y'all do to control condensation?

7. generator options: LP is the only option? Im reading these may be very convenient but that gas may be more efficient for boondocking? would you add the factory LP genny or put in a different one after market?

8. other than convenience/time, what are the compelling reasons to opt for the 6-point leveling system? can it be used to change a tire for example? Is it easier on the frame? is there a manual override?

AAdams

Hello,

We just got our BH 3750 FL.
As far as options go we got;
Electric cords reel, frees up storage and more convenient than fighting a 50A cord.
Upgraded brakes and axles, better breaking power, stronger axles
G tires come standard, Didn't pay for the GY G tire upgrade. It has Saliuns on it from the factory, from reports on here they hold up. The rims for the Saliuns are rated at 110 psi.
Condensation, dual pane windows. For really bad areas we have a dehumidifier that we can plug in.
In our floor plan ( 3750FL ) the table does expand and there is a leaf for the table. There are 2 folding chairs under the bed. Maybe someone with a 3010RL will chime in on this to verify.
Noise, Dual pane windows help here too.
6-Point leveling. Convenience is a major plus. The unit will be more stable than 2 front jacks and a stabilizer in the rear.
Also yes the jacks are able to be used manually. You can re-calibrate level if you need to. It can lift the entire unit off the ground.
Awning toppers are really a matter of preference. We had them before on our old Landmark, we did not to get them on this BH.

We did get the res. fridge since we full time and do not dry camp.
IF you get a W/D and FB paint, order from factory, not the dealer. Then the vent will be painted too.
We also got the Yeti package. Never 'plan' on being where it is cold enough to really need it. But, TX does get cold at times.

Hope this helps,
Alan

danemayer

Hi all -- DW and I have a few questions for the BH experts

2. do you all like the slide awning package? seems like a good idea, but also a risk for tearing or other damage in freezing weather
We have slide toppers and use the rig in Breckenridge, CO during the winter. I made PVC supports to keep the snow supported. If we get more than a few inches of snow, I'll clean off the roof and toppers with a soft-bristle push broom. We've had no problems with wind damage, even in winds up to 80 mph. But at least one person has seen some toppers damaged by freak weather.

7. generator options: LP is the only option? Im reading these may be very convenient but that gas may be more efficient for boondocking? would you add the factory LP genny or put in a different one after market?
It depends how much you plan to run the genny. A 40# tank of propane is just over 9 gallons, which may get you around 12 hours of run time under light to moderate load. The gasoline version of the Onan 5500 genny gets slightly more run time on the same amount of fuel. But there's no place for a fuel cell on a Bighorn, so it's a moot point. To run gasoline, you'd have to carry a generator in the truck, probably with less output, but also using less fuel. If you plan on running the generator a lot, and you can live with 3,000 watts or less, gasoline might be the best choice.

Hello,

We just got our BH 3750 FL.
As far as options go we got;
Electric cords reel, frees up storage and more convenient than fighting a 50A cord.
Upgraded brakes and axles, better breaking power, stronger axles
G tires come standard, Didn't pay for the GY G tire upgrade. It has Saliuns on it from the factory, from reports on here they hold up. The rims for the Saliuns are rated at 110 psi.
Condensation, dual pane windows. For really bad areas we have a dehumidifier that we can plug in.
In our floor plan ( 3750FL ) the table does expand and there is a leaf for the table. There are 2 folding chairs under the bed. Maybe someone with a 3010RL will chime in on this to verify.
Noise, Dual pane windows help here too.
6-Point leveling. Convenience is a major plus. The unit will be more stable than 2 front jacks and a stabilizer in the rear.
Also yes the jacks are able to be used manually. You can re-calibrate level if you need to. It can lift the entire unit off the ground.
Awning toppers are really a matter of preference. We had them before on our old Landmark, we did not to get them on this BH.

We did get the res. fridge since we full time and do not dry camp.
IF you get a W/D and FB paint, order from factory, not the dealer. Then the vent will be painted too.
We also got the Yeti package. Never 'plan' on being where it is cold enough to really need it. But, TX does get cold at times.

Hope this helps,
Alan

Thanks thats good stuff. so must haves include dual pane, electric cord real (saw one on an Arctic Fox. very nice), and probably yetti. Follow-up question about the leveling system - what happens if the system fails: What is the backup plan? what happens If it fails with jacks extended? By "manually operated" I don't mean semi-automatic I mean hand crank - is that possible or in that case do you still have the "standard" jacks that can be cranked by hand?

what do you non-full timers do re: condensation? opt for the extra fans and ventilate whenever practical? It just seems to me that this has the potential to be a real problem if not managed -- moisture can penetrate walls and all of that, so it no just a cosmetic thing, right? If I sound like I making too big of a deal here, please forgive me; I Just read the owners manual :D :D :D

. A 40# tank of propane is just over 9 gallons, which may get you around 12 hours of run time under light to moderate load. The gasoline version of the Onan 5500 genny gets slightly more run time on the same amount of fuel. But there's no place for a fuel cell on a Bighorn, so it's a moot point. To run gasoline, you'd have to carry a generator in the truck, probably with less output, but also using less fuel. If you plan on running the generator a lot, and you can live with 3,000 watts or less, gasoline might be the best choice.

good clarifications. So "Generator prep" really assumes the LP model which is the only option. it must include the LP line(s) necessary to mooch off of the on-board tanks. Accordingly, when you say "no fuel cell" you mean the genny compartment is not able to accommodate a gas genny with its own fuel tank, as ventilation, space, and other (perhaps safety) issues cannot be accommodated, and the whole setup is intended to use the LP fuel supply?

Can anyone clarify whether or not 40lb LP tanks are doable on the smaller 10" frame models? the build sheet does not list a restriction, but I read in another thread that these (3010) models were restricted to 30s. is that true?

other "options" questions if I may:

why is the power cord reel a $643 option? does it have rotating contacts or something to transfer power to the coach?

is the "honey maple" cabinetry only a cosmetic change or is the cabinetry itself any more solid/sturdy than the standard? compared to the Arctic Fox I toured, my impression is that the AF has higher quality cabinetry. They just don't have a floor plan like the 3010! :D

Why are fireplaces so common place now? (its a forced option on the 3010). Do they offer a reasonable contribution to the furnace, and can one expect that it would provide some reasonable heating contribution without the furnace perhaps?

avvidclif

As to the fireplace unless the temp gets below 40 that's all we use for heat. Saves a lot of propane.

buddyboy

As to the fireplace unless the temp gets below 40 that's all we use for heat. Saves a lot of propane.

Same here. It keeps us comfortable. We also use the portable tower electric space heaters. Especially when we're not paying extra for electric.

Regarding a generator and depending on how you plan to use one, a 50 lb. portable 2000 watt inverter generator might be a good option if all you need is to recharge your batteries. Get two of them and you can run one A/C. Portable generators are certainly less heavy and cost less than installed ones. Does anyone else have thoughts on this.

I believe that the 6 point level-up is a "forced" option. It does have override provisions built into it. Hydraulic systems generally hold up pretty well as long as you keep them clean so dirt doesn't get in the seals.

danemayer

good clarifications. So "Generator prep" really assumes the LP model which is the only option. it must include the LP line(s) necessary to mooch off of the on-board tanks. Accordingly, when you say "no fuel cell" you mean the genny compartment is not able to accommodate a gas genny with its own fuel tank, as ventilation, space, and other (perhaps safety) issues cannot be accommodated, and the whole setup is intended to use the LP fuel supply?
No fuel cell means Heartland doesn't support putting a gasoline fuel cell in a Bighorn and they don't sell a gasoline generator for the Bighorn. You might be able to gin up a solution yourself, but other people have explored that idea and given up.

Generator prep also includes the transfer switch and j-box, so you could wire a receptacle into the j-box and then plug a portable generator into the receptacle. On most rigs the shore power cord won't reach a generator in the pickup truck, so a front-mounted receptacle hooked to the transfer switch might be useful.

You'll probably have to call Heartland to ask about 40# tanks. I'd think height would be the limiting factor.

40# tanks -- the options in the build list and the options list on the website, specifically for the 3010, indicate that 40# tanks are available. I just need to rationalize this as you mentioned-- perhaps this is now an option that was not available previously on this model

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
1. which options would you recommend as "must have"? for example, for noise and condensation control it seems to me that dual pane windows would be highly recommended

Yes

We used our last winter and as long as you keep them dry and free of snow they work fine.

3. on the 3010RL -- does the dinette expand to accept two folding chairs?

We do not have a 3010RL but our Ashland does expand to add two chairs but you better like the person you are next to.

4. Why is the G tires upgrade so expensive --I guess because higher rated rims are part of the upgrade as well? $500/tire is alot

Having seen what a tire blowout can do in damage the more weight and temperature a tire can handle the better.

5. On the 3010RL -- where are the water tanks with respect to the axle? I'm trying to get a feel for impact on pin weight.

Do not know.

6. what do y'all do to control condensation?

We live in a dry area so can't help.

We are looking at buying the Honda generators. They are portable (weigh 46 lbs a piece), run on gas, give you 4,000 watts of power connected together and the companion unit has a 30 amp connector built in and are very quiet. If you go with the LP Onan you will be buying and filling a lot of LP tanks. A 40# propane tank full weighs 70 lbs and your RV has two. The Honda generator weighs 46 lbs. As you can see not much of a benefit having a fixed LP generator knowing you have to haul around heavy and awkward propane tanks.

8. other than convenience/time, what are the compelling reasons to opt for the 6-point leveling system? can it be used to change a tire for example? Is it easier on the frame? is there a manual override?

When you drive into a RV park at night in a poorly leveled site, that has very little light and your unit is level and ready to put out slides in under 5 minutes you will never manually level a RV again. Also yes to all the last three questions except if you change a tire make sure you use a axle stand for backup.

Thanks. I guess for occasional use, if one is amenable to the cost, the LP genny does meet a need. gasoline genny would mean carrying a third fuel (TV is diesel) in the truck bed. I talked the regional BH rep, who admitted he didn't know if the 2016 BH 3010 could take 40 #ers, but he said a dealer can add them with a small modification to the enclosure.

perhaps the more interesting conversation was around the dinette. definitely a market research and design philosophy thing going on there, as BH has deliberately shrunk the dinette to make more room for the recliners, because apparently people don't eat at the dinette the play cards or use it as work desk. so, for the 3010 especially; they have allocated the space according to the percentage of time folks spend in various portions of the floor plan.

Westwind

We unscrewed our table from the floor so we can move it, it helps since it wasn't centered and adults could only sit on one side of the table - looked good but wasn't practical. We have the 3070 RL floor plan which isn't available any longer. If I were to get another I would get one with the couch in the rear and two recliner's in the slideout. You might be able to switch out something to make the situation better.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Thanks. I guess for occasional use, if one is amenable to the cost, the LP genny does meet a need. gasoline genny would mean carrying a third fuel (TV is diesel) in the truck bed. I talked the regional BH rep, who admitted he didn't know if the 2016 BH 3010 could take 40 #ers, but he said a dealer can add them with a small modification to the enclosure.

perhaps the more interesting conversation was around the dinette. definitely a market research and design philosophy thing going on there, as BH has deliberately shrunk the dinette to make more room for the recliners, because apparently people don't eat at the dinette the play cards or use it as work desk. so, for the 3010 especially; they have allocated the space according to the percentage of time folks spend in various portions of the floor plan.

Yes gas is a third fuel for us too but the Honda generators have their own fuel tanks built in. Also you can get a auxiliary tank that will feed both the generators and is also a fuel storage tank. We have a space in the front of our 5th wheel that is prepped for a generator but is also well ventilated. The space is large enough to hold the two generators and the auxiliary fuel tank so we do not have to put them in the bed of the truck.

olcoon

We just got the Ground Control 3.0 (electric 4 point) system put on our 2011 Elk Ridge at the national rally. We bought the coach new in 2010. After all that time carrying boards to level the rig, pulling into a campsite, checking the level possibly having to back up/pull forward to put boards down to level the RV got to be a hassle. I've used the system twice now, once when we got back to Lippert, and today after we left the rally. I can honestly say that I LOVE IT! I'll never own another 5er without some type of leveling system on it. When we got to our campsite tonight, I punched a couple of buttons, and while the system was doing it's thing, I started hooking up the stinky slinky, when I got done, it was done...well really it was done before I was. DW came outside a short time later & was shocked that I was almost done setting up, used to take longer.

olcoon

As far as generators are concerned, the Onan that comes with the rig, is big, you might as well forget about using the front compartment between it & the batteries it pretty well fills it up. If you've got a tool box in the bed of your truck the Honda/Yamaha generators should fit inside it. There is a YouTube video showing how to make your own "extended use" fuel tank out of a plastic 5 gallon gas can. I can't say how good/safe it would be, but it would save having to fill the fuel tank on the generator as often. You might compare the 3160 & 3270 with the 3010. Not much difference in length & weight, but the floor plans are a lot different, plus you don't have to turn your head to the left to watch TV like on the 3010. On Heartland's website you can use the "compare" feature to compare the 3 rigs. A friend recently bought the 3270 with the Onan, and he put 40# tanks in it with a minor modification he did himself.

These are all good floor plans, and we are still looking at the 3270. What I don't like about the 3270 is that

1 the shower is too small for me (3010 has a larger shower)
2 the entertainment center is too 'front and center'
3 the rear living room has a view out of only two of tree walls (3010 has three adjacent walls with windows)

when you sit in the rear window -- look left and the entertainment center is there instead of a window

We ruled out 3160 because a king bed is a requirement.

What I like about the 3010 is

1. The TV is hidden until you want to use it.
2. the living area has three adjacent walls with windows = more light

(we would camp to see the outdoors, not to pull around our own sports bar with a large TV front and center)

3. the rectangular shower gives me enough shoulder room to tolerate how close my head is to the skylight

The only thing I don't like about the 3010 is the dinette. HL has done some serious research and concluded that since people do not eat at the dinette with four adults they have shrunk things to make more room for recliners. Its a great strategy -- we are just not sure it applies to us at this time. I've about concluded that it is either kiddie table or a multi-purpose work area for one. I'm 6' 4"

We're down to 3010 versus an Arctic Fox; these two represent the different "dinette philosophies", the latter having a real full sized free standing dinette with (just barely) enough room for four adults. Alas, I don't like their hide-a-bed approach (air....susceptible to leaks and tears), you can' get to the kitchen without opening two opposing slides (dinette and kitchen) and I don't like that their tanks are all forward of the axle (read: pin weight), whereas the 3010 fresh water tank is almost centered over the axle, so I'm told.

for sure... there may be no perfect rig. it is interesting, however, the number of folks who apparently agree with the HL dinette philosophy, so as first timers we'll have to consider the experience of others as well!