Southco Keyless Entry system issues

Westcoast

Re: keyless entry

thanks 2psnapod2 i was poking and proding that thing and decided it would not be in a place that is so obviously intended to stay fixed-----WRONG. The good news is I now know how to take apart the handle assembly and door frame and the real good news is all is fine there Phew. Well this is the only thing that ticks me off about our new TI so I guess it will be fine and I will either deal with it now or just stop using it, I just really liked showing off with it :)

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

After the initial two quick failures, mine has now been working for a year. I think water running doen the side of the trailer can weep into the keypad the way it is mounted. After remounting mine with velcro I haven't had any issues (knocking very hard on wood).

Gizzy

I guess we have been very fortunate since we have had ours since Aug 2010 and it has not failed us (yet) and we have never replaced the battery. Sure hope this post does not jinx us.

MTPockets

Mine works some of the time, so it's not the battery... I clean the contacts, put in new battery, adjust the battery contacts, it will work if I don't use the key, but if I lock it with the key it won't un-lock with the keypad. i called Southco, they told me to call Lippert... lippert told me that if the door was mounted too close to the latch side of the frame, or the deadbolt hole isn't deep enough as sometimes happens, the dead bolt would not engage deep enough to allow it to work properly... So now I decide, do I just throw it away and forget it; contact the dealer and go through all the warranty stuff and then it may or may not get fixed; or try and fix it myself......... Seems like there has been other posts about these things not working well ................ Somebody needs to go back to the drawing board on these things. It's too aggravating!

JJOren

I agree about the drawing board. Ours isn't working at the moment and I'm not even going to attempt to fix it. There is no bigger fan of Heartland than I am on this forum or any other. However, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck than it's probably a duck. In this case though, it's a turkey. And to be caught in a loop between Southco and Lippert is totally unacceptable.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired

As far as not working after locking it with the key, make sure you are using the correct locking lock. I was trying mine and locked it and it would not work. I then tried it again using the deadbolt lock and it works. The keypad locks the deadbolt. Not the other lock.

KWire

Folks are comparing this to the 'wireless' fob for unlocking the car. I really don't know how many cars I've had with keyless unlocking. NEVER lost a battery and some of them ran for years. The idea of having to replace the battery in months is ludicrous. This is obviously a faulty design!

John, I don't think that is a fair comparison. Your car fob only uses the battery when you press a button and receiver in the car is using the car battery. On the RV the receiver is using battery power and must be on all the time, so it should be expected to need to change the battery frequently.

Now if they are able redesign it to run it off the RV battery, then you could expect see the same kind of performance.

Just my opinion of course...

Keith

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired

I agree about the drawing board. Ours isn't working at the moment and I'm not even going to attempt to fix it. There is no bigger fan of Heartland than I am on this forum or any other. However, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck than it's probably a duck. In this case though, it's a turkey. And to be caught in a loop between Southco and Lippert is totally unacceptable.
Come on John, tell us what you really think. LOL I've not had time to use mine much yet, but so far it has worked great. Ken

MTPockets

As far as not working after locking it with the key, make sure you are using the correct locking lock. I was trying mine and locked it and it would not work. I then tried it again using the deadbolt lock and it works. The keypad locks the deadbolt. Not the other lock.

Understand, but I'm only using the dead bolt. Lippert said they were aware of my problem and the deadbolt when using the key doesn't go in far enough because it is hitting the wall, thus the solenoid can't activate. I understand what they are telling me, but I'm still a little confused as to why it does work when I lock and unlock with the keypad. I guess I'll try drilling it a little deeper and see what happens. My whole point is, these things should work from the factory and the new owners shouldn't have to mess with this stuff so much. I understand there is a warranty, but to get an appointment, take it in, wait, drive home - it's a pain... and that doesn't excuse the fact that this is so irritating to so many for such a long time, the factory should get it right.. according to older posts this apparently has been a problem for years.

P.S.... Big Horn is a great unit - we love it - we would buy another - Just hope the factory guys would take care of this returning small stuff first time out. If it were my factory, I would drop this feature all together and get rid of the irritation..... No keyless, no problem, no irritated customer......

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

If it were my factory, I would drop this feature all together and get rid of the irritation..... No keyless, no problem, no irritated customer......
This is being considered.

Well....if it were my factory I would consider the continuation of the keyless entry. We love ours. I would however lean on my supplier to provide a reliable product.
JMHO.

Peace
Dave

Firerad1

After getting locked out in Oil City,LA on a Saturday and no answer from the dealer or the factory warranty folks for two weeks now, I'm not taking any more chances. Now that I've taken it apart and cleaned the grease from the contacts and put in another battery it works. To keep it from locking me out again I keep it in a safe place, the bottom drawer in the kitchen. No more lock-outs!

Gizzy

Well....if it were my factory I would consider the continuation of the keyless entry. We love ours. I would however lean on my supplier to provide a reliable product.
JMHO.

Peace
Dave

I have to agree with Cookie. Ours has worked great since new (19 months) and we love it. Has not failed us yet.

macjj

Hello all;

Please excuse any spelling errors ad the spell check wiped out my last message - I will attempt to be as correct as an Engineer can be.

Thanks for all you input on this subject. It would seem that I too have experienced similar issues. After calling Hartland, got the skinny on the location of the transmitter/receiver (inside the door) and how the keypad is attached. The unit is new (less than 6 months) however after removing the keypad I found the battery had already started to leak and corrode the circuit board. So if you intend to put it in a drawer, I would at least remove the battery.

After replacing the battery, the unit would lock and unlock as perscribed, however once locked with the keypad, the key nor the inside lever would unlock the unit. I called Southco - they referred me to Lippert (makes the door). Lippert stated the problem is whomever installed the door (the factory) did not drill the deadbolt receiver hole (in the frame) deep enough and therefore the deadbolt does not pretrude sufficiantly to allow the key (or inside lever) to operate correctly. They stated I should take it to a dealer and have it corrected (under warrenty). Who covers the warrenty remains to be seen.

Until I take care of this little issue, I too have left the keypad in a drawer. But all owners should be aware. I am assuming from this thread they have been informed. Now if the factory pay's attention, maybe their Q/A will address future issues.

Thanks all
Jim

MTPockets

Lippert stated the problem is whomever installed the door (the factory) did not drill the deadbolt receiver hole (in the frame) deep enough and therefore the deadbolt does not pretrude sufficiantly to allow the key (or inside lever) to operate correctly.
I just completed drilling with a 3/8" bit to drill the reciver hole deeper into the frame. I tried all combinations of locking and un-locking with key then keypad, keypad then key... and so on. Keypad is now working fine. No appointment necessary with dealer, did I just void my warranty?, Time will tell if this is a permanent fix, but I'm feeling a little better about it. It's still an issue as this thread starting a year ago and so many problems stated here and in other threads.

Suggestion to Heartland - insist on better instructions being provided with the unit, make certain the installation improves.. And better still, get a hard wired keypad to the house battery and eliminate that little battery issue.

Westwind

After reading this post I have decided to take mine off the side of our new 2012 Bighorn and Put it in a drawer, I don't need to deal with "Glitz" that might not work because the door might not have been installed right, but might work if I drill a deeper hole into the door jamb. I just want to sit back and enjoy my new Bighorn. I use the key on the lock like I have for the last 7 months that I've owned it, it works.

JJOren

I'm with you Westwind!!!!! We already did the same thing cause we want to enjoy our new Landmark without the hassle!!!!

At the same time I do think it is important that Heartland be aware of the situation. Southco makes the lock, Lippert apparently makes the door, ultimately, Heartland pays the price in customer dissatisfaction with a bum product!!!

Lippert stated the problem is whomever installed the door (the factory) did not drill the deadbolt receiver hole (in the frame) deep enough and therefore the deadbolt does not pretrude sufficiantly to allow the key (or inside lever) to operate correctly.
I just completed drilling with a 3/8" bit to drill the reciver hole deeper into the frame. I tried all combinations of locking and un-locking with key then keypad, keypad then key... and so on. Keypad is now working fine. No appointment necessary with dealer, did I just void my warranty?, Time will tell if this is a permanent fix, but I'm feeling a little better about it. It's still an issue as this thread starting a year ago and so many problems stated here and in other threads.

Suggestion to Heartland - insist on better instructions being provided with the unit, make certain the installation improves.. And better still, get a hard wired keypad to the house battery and eliminate that little battery issue.

Not sure if we are having the same problem, but we had our rig out for only the second time. We took possession of the 2012 Bighorn Jan. 2012. The keypad was very difficult to set, but we finally worked it out. Following that, I would say it worked about 10 cycles of opening and closing. Yesterday, we headed out for a short vacation to take advantage of the Presiden'ts Day holiday. We arrived at our destination, put my purse in the rig, locked the keypad, and headed over to pick up our camping packet. On our return, the keypad would not work. And then our KEY WOULD NOT OPEN THE DEADBOLT. By now, it's almost 5pm. I call my dealer who calls the Heartland Rep who says get a locksmith and Heartland will reimburse. We are in the middle of nowhere and barely have mobile service, the camp host is not around, no locksmith in sight, it's now dark (so at least we can see the keypad) and the situation is not good. We decide to drive to the nearest town and look for locksmiths. We contact six locksmiths and they all say that short of drilling a hole in the door or busting out a window, without contacting the manufacturer there is no way they can fix it. This may be a 2012 issue or exclusive to our rig and MTPockets rig, but I can assure you we were using the right key and the deadbolt would not move a millimeter.

******* UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE ********

We spoke directly to our local Heartland Rep today. He was great. Our faith in Heartland is back on a positive trajectory. That is the upside. The downside is that, apparently, a "lot" or "batch" of 2012 Bighorns may have had similar problems, or at least ours was not the first reported incidence. I am not entirely clear what Heartland plans to do, but I think one possibility is that the keypad will be removed and replaced with keyless entry. We much prefer the keypad for ease of use, but not if it is prone to failure, particularly the "key also doesn't work and now we must bust a window" type failure. In the meanwhile, we will simply not use the keypad. For those of you with 2012 Bighorns, you may want to considern temporarily avoiding using the keypad and discuss the issue with your dealer -- I can only imagine how un-fun it would be if we had pulled the slides out! We'll post again when we have a final resolution, but wanted to let everyone know that Heartland delivered and actually called us on a Sunday :angel:

Last edited:

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired

Well I made the mistake of saying, "Mine works great. No problems." Today we attempted to open the door using the keypad and nothing happened. No click, no lights, nothing. Sounds like a battery problem but it's only 8 weeks old. At least my key worked and we were able to get in. I'll try replacing the battery one day next week. Shouldn't have commented about how great mine was working. Ken

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired

It probably is a battery. It takes a 2032, since they probably use cheapo batteries and the thing sits around a while before they install them, the battery goes dead pretty quick.