Southco Keyless Entry system issues

Westcoast

Re: keyless entry

This is what I`ve done with mine. I managed to get the key pad off the exterior wall without breaking it. Most of the double sided tape was left on the exterior surface so I removed all that and used a high end polish to cover the areas under the two strips. I installed self sticky hook velcro on the back of the keypad and put it inside of the basement door on the carpet lined wall. Its now out of the weather and one heck of alot easier to get to when the battery goes again. i understand that these batteries can go when ever they like but I personally feel these should be hardwired and if the design is to stay as is why not make them a little easier for the customer to remove and service themselves.

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired

I've heard about water getting behind the keypad, so I put a small bead of silicone on top and both sides of the keypad. I think that should keep moisture out. Now I'll have to remove all that to get to the battery. I really like the keypad when it functions, so I'll give it another chance with a new battery. Thanks for the information. Ken

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired

I really like the idea of putting it in a compartment. I was thinking that it would go in the battery compartment on my KL which is pretty much next to the door. That way it was out of the weather and also would not ever fall off as I was going down the road. This might just be the option I choose.

Gizzy

This is what I`ve done with mine. I managed to get the key pad off the exterior wall without breaking it. Most of the double sided tape was left on the exterior surface so I removed all that and used a high end polish to cover the areas under the two strips. I installed self sticky hook velcro on the back of the keypad and put it inside of the basement door on the carpet lined wall. Its now out of the weather and one heck of alot easier to get to when the battery goes again. i understand that these batteries can go when ever they like but I personally feel these should be hardwired and if the design is to stay as is why not make them a little easier for the customer to remove and service themselves.

I don't understand placing it in the basement. Do you now have to unlock your basement door, then go inside the basement to use the keyless entry? If that is the case, why not just use the door key to begin with? If so, it seems to defeat the purpose of using it, "convenience". We have used ours for 18 months and it has worked great so far w/no battery replacement yet. I have learned a lot on this thread on how to replace the battery when that will be required. Please keep the info coming.

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired

Perhaps you could put it in the propane compartment since it it not locked anyway. Don't know about the range of the transmitter. How far will it transmit. Ken

2psnapod2

To tell you the truth, at this site at least and a few other ones that we have stayed at, I have just left most of my storage doors unlocked. So I would hope that people would not NEED any of my things in them. I guess if I was going away for a while in a park where I think it would be an issue then I would just lock the containers and just take the key pad with me.

Westcoast

Now I`m trusting everyone one here :) but I never lock my basement door when we are camping unless we are away for a considerable amount of time. With it being attached with velcro I can pop it in my pocket or not and just use a key. My main reason for doing this is I don`t want to damage the gel coat on the exterior taking this thing on and off and I would be kicking alot of rocks if I had it fly off going down the road because I put it on a little softly to avoid doing any damage the next time it had to come off. Velcro and in the basement is perfect for me.

Westwind

Hey if it works for you that's great, my problem would be the previous post where I wouldn't be able to get into the RV and not have the keys because I was using the keyless entry and the battery went dead, or having the keys and not being able to open the deadbolt lock. I have never used it or even set it up because I read some posted problems and we were managing just fine with the key. But I will set it up and try it out when my wife is inside and can open the door from the inside if necessary. I bought some new double sided exterior tape to reattach it. My wife wants me to leave it in the drawer.

Last edited:

Westcoast

Ya its interesting that folks are having trouble using the keypad to open the deadbolt if they have used a key to lock it. I have tried mine every way I can and it works regardless of how it was locked.

Westwind

I think that's the trick, try it out everyway you can think of & hide a key outside just like the house.

MTPockets

Lippert stated the problem is whomever installed the door (the factory) did not drill the deadbolt receiver hole (in the frame) deep enough and therefore the deadbolt does not pretrude sufficiantly to allow the key (or inside lever) to operate correctly.
I just completed drilling with a 3/8" bit to drill the reciver hole deeper into the frame. I tried all combinations of locking and un-locking with key then keypad, keypad then key... and so on. Keypad is now working fine. No appointment necessary with dealer, did I just void my warranty?, Time will tell if this is a permanent fix, but I'm feeling a little better about it. It's still an issue as this thread starting a year ago and so many problems stated here and in other threads.

Suggestion to Heartland - insist on better instructions being provided with the unit, make certain the installation improves.. And better still, get a hard wired keypad to the house battery and eliminate that little battery issue.

It's been about three weeks since I "fixed" this; today, I go to lock up and it's dead... Nothing... I replaced the CR2032 battery a few weeks ago while it had been erratic. At that time I made sure the battery clip was tight, soooo - here we go again.

Willym

The problem could be with lack of power to the lock motor. If the lights on the keypad light up when pushed, then try cleaning the two brass door contacts. If still go go, and you have keypad lights, the fuse for the lock motor could be blown.

Lippert stated the problem is whomever installed the door (the factory) did not drill the deadbolt receiver hole (in the frame) deep enough and therefore the deadbolt does not pretrude sufficiantly to allow the key (or inside lever) to operate correctly.

It's been about three weeks since I "fixed" this; today, I go to lock up and it's dead... Nothing... I replaced the CR2032 battery a few weeks ago while it had been erratic. At that time I made sure the battery clip was tight, soooo - here we go again.

2psnapod2

I would even try a new battery, you can never trust those batteries being real new.

MTPockets

Wellll, It 'was' that little battery.... The pkg. on this one says it's fresh until the year 2016, so hopefully this battery will be good for a while.....

macjj

I experienced the same issue with the battery after less than a week. Thought it was the radio shack batteries because they measured low out of the package. Replaced with duracell- will see.

I do like the suggestion of the battery-hydraulic compartment as that is not loced. In the interim I used the velcro option.

I like the conveniece' but I am thinking Westwind's suggestion - in the drawer - is the best lyet

cooknsharry

Ha just reading this thread, had to go run out and try my keyless entry cool locked the door, but now it will not unlock ? (I never set a personal code in??Duu) Called dealer they had talked me thru it with the factory code! OK works good now? LOL However I think that I will take my door key when I go out

Tigre

We picked up our 2012 3585 last Saturday. The trailer was completed on 12/2/11 and it looks like the battery is already dead. From reading the postings this seems to be a recurring issue with about half of the posts not having a problem and the other half either not using the feature or having problems. Has Heartland provided an explanation as to why this is continuing to happen?

This is my first posting and so far we really like the trailer. Much more so then the 2011 Cougar we traded in.

Thanks to all for their posts.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Tigre, welcome to the forum and Heartland Family. Lots of good information to be found here.
We have a 2011, 3585 and love it.
We also have the keyless entry and love it as well. We had a problem initially but contacted Southco and they sent a new keypad. It has been flawless for about a year and a half now.
If you continue to have problems, contact Lippert for information on getting your problem resolved.

Peace
Dave

SLO

Been watching this thread as we have had a problem with the keypad on our new 2012 3070RL. When we picked up our trailer, in Jan 2012, the keypad didn't work. With the suggestions form this forum I changed the battery and it worked. 2 months later, stopped working. Called Heartland and they got Lippert on the phone with me. Lippert said they would send a new keypad. Reason?? Southco said if anyone has problems with battery going dead real fast, send customer new keypad. Haven't received it yet, just called them last Monday. Hope it fixes the problem. My solution for the location issue of the keypad is. I got an exterior cover for an electrical plug that matches the other ones on the trailer (got at a trailer supply). Then got a filler plate that goes where the electrical plug should be (got at Home Depot). Silicone and screwed it into the exterior wall by the door. Put a, cut to length, Velcro strip on the inside of cover with two sided tape. Put another piece of Velcro on back of keypad. Keypad fits inside of cover perfectly. My plan is to keep keypad in drawer in trailer when we're not using the trailer. Then put it under exterior cover when we're using the trailer. That way it will stay our of the rain most of the time. Hope we get a keypad that works so I can try it.

Rick

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Welcome to the forum Rick. As you have no doubt found out, there is a lot of help available here.
Hope the new keypad does the trick for you. It did for me.

Peace
Dave