spare tire brackets broke !!!

Bobby A

We are travels from Fl. back to MI., we are in Renfro Valley, KY. right now, have 800 miles under our belt and 400 more to go. We were out on a evening stroll just now and I noticed under the trailer that the spare tire was sagging down in a not normal position. I crawled under and found two of the 4 welds on the brackets had broken loose !! If the other two would of broke or I had not of noticed it today, our travels tomorrow could of been deadly for someone behind us !! Only God would of known what could of happened. So, for those of you traveling, check your spare tire carrier at every stop !!!! Has this happened to anyone else ?? I guess I will have to take the trailer to a weld shop and have them weld the brackets back on again. I put the spare tire in the bed of the truck behind the 5th wheel hitch, hopefully I have enough clearance to get the trailer hitched up in the morning. Just an FYI for everyone. I can't even imagine what could of happened if I didn't notice it !!
Blessings everyone,
Bobby A

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Do you have any pictures for us ??
What kind of tire rack was it ?
The cable wind up winch type or the cross bar type ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Profile says a 2010 BigHorn. So I don't think they had the crossbar type back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I just help that friend of mine out the other day and he had that crank up cable on on his Big Horn I think it was a 2011 🤔

Bobby A

Yes, guys it is the cable wind up winch type, my wife did take some pics but I don't know how to add it to the forum. I've never done it before. Yes its a 2010 Bighorn. The reason for my post is to make people aware, its one of those thinks that's out of site, out of mind. You check it maybe once a year to make sure the air pressure is correct in case of a flat while traveling. This really could of been BAD !!!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Always good to check things out under there.
I was figuring it was the cable unit because there are very few welds on the cross bar setup.
Thanks for posting.