Spare Tire Carrier Dropping On Its Own

DIYJunkie

Not sure if this belongs here.

We stopped for lunch and the spare tire was hanging down. It hadn't hit the gerund yet, but was close. The spare tire carrier is a style that cranks up and down similar to the spare tire on Ford trucks. Is there away to prevent this? How common is?

Attachments

• Spare.jpg
    Spare.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 69

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have the same style carrier on my Bighorn. Mine dropped down as well but it wasn't because the mechanism allowed the reel to unwind, it was because the frame of the system started to collapse.
I wound up taking the entire thing off the trailer and welding some new supports on it.
So take a good look at the frame of the carrier above where the tire rests, it may be bent.
Or your tire may not have been cranked up securely in the first place.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
When new I had the same issue. For me it was also the attachment. 1/4" bolts with 5/16" or 3/8" holes.

It is possible your cable stretched a bit as well.

Now that my spare tire is a 17.5" G-114 at 95 pounds I supplement the factory carrier with a ratchet strap.

Gary521

I have had this happen on a former trailer. Just crank it back up - should be OK. After I cranked it back up - no problems.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
I like the strap idea also.

Couple years go DW and I were in TV without fiver following a trailer when I noticed his under mount spare flopping around. No sooner moved over a lane and said, " He's gonna lose that if we don't stop him", when he hit a dip in road and tire caught and flipped. Made the whole rear of the trailer jump, flew 12 or so feet in the air and hit right where we would have been had I not moved over! Luckily no one else got hit by it either. Guy was a transporter and didn't seem to know it even happened. Scary.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk