Spare tire holding mechanism failure on 2014 Cyclone

Miltp920

So, I am pulling into the tire store to get my spare 10 ply OEM tire changed out for a 12 ply tire, and I see the spare is dangling about 4 to 6 inches below stored position behind the rear axles. I have never operated the spare tire "keeper" mechanism before today. I had just read some posts about moving spare tire to in front of axles due to dragging tire when pulling into some driveways. The tire guy said he saw it dangling when I passed in front of his store, as he was outside talking to a customer. I pulled the 5er 120 miles today, and did go over a few rough railroad tracks. There are NO marks on tire or rim suggesting dragging as cause. Seems that the cable mechanism that holds tire up under frame broke due to jarring, possibly going over railroad tracks, which I slowed down for to soften the ride. When I lowered the cable to get the spare to the ground, some aluminum plates that look like brake pads fell out of the plastic casing around cable mechanism. Needless to say, I will be asking for a new one under my 1 year warranty which expires in a few weeks. RECOMMEND EVERYONE PUT SPARE TIRE ON CHECK LIST to make sure it looks secure when moving from location to location. Mine failed within first year of use. I got lucky in that I did not lose my spare tire while traveling down the road. That might have caused a bad accident behind me and I would not have known it was my tire caising it. Heartland may want to look into this before it causes an accident and they get a call from some lawyer. There is a speed wrench socket in the basement that operates the spare tire holder.

Miltp920

These are the pieces. Something jarred the spare, maybe it did bottom out, I just did not see any marks on the tire. The mechanism was bent, but it could have been the dangling tire on that "keeper" which was hanging on an angle. I am surprised that it did not jar free and cause an accident. The broken pieces are shaped like brake pads, but they used to make a pulley slot to manage a single layer of cable. When the aluminum broke, the cable jammed up by the gear creating slack, which lowered the tire to dangle below camper - on an angle but still well above the road. The plastic dust cover contained all the big pieces of broken aluminum.
I am guessing that just tension keeps this cable up and the tire flush against bottom of rig. I do not see any kind of lock to keep it up. I am surprised that more of these do not loosen up under pickup trucks.

18691-1_20140719_133506_20140719_133902.jpg18692-2_20140719_133351_20140719_133933.jpg18688-1.jpg18689-2_20140719_133309_20140719_134440.jpg18693-1_20140719_134501.jpg

Attachments

• 20140719_130355_resized.jpg
    20140719_130355_resized.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 52

Jim.Allison

I have a G-114 spare, it is within the published spec of my tire holder, but I can tell by looking at it that it is a concern. Im thinking about a side to side slide from a slide manufacturer that would go from side to side where I could have a couple of boxes on either side of the trailer AND the tire in the middle fully supported by a substantial roll out slide. I could empty the basement of items that would be more suited for a plastic box behind the wheels of the fiver and when I want my spare I could just roll or slide it out.

So, I am pulling into the tire store to get my spare 10 ply OEM tire changed out for a 12 ply tire, and I see the spare is dangling about 4 to 6 inches below stored position behind the rear axles. I have never operated the spare tire "keeper" mechanism before today. I had just read some posts about moving spare tire to in front of axles due to dragging tire when pulling into some driveways. The tire guy said he saw it dangling when I passed in front of his store, as he was outside talking to a customer. I pulled the 5er 120 miles today, and did go over a few rough railroad tracks. There are NO marks on tire or rim suggesting dragging as cause. Seems that the cable mechanism that holds tire up under frame broke due to jarring, possibly going over railroad tracks, which I slowed down for to soften the ride. When I lowered the cable to get the spare to the ground, some aluminum plates that look like brake pads fell out of the plastic casing around cable mechanism. Needless to say, I will be asking for a new one under my 1 year warranty which expires in a few weeks. RECOMMEND EVERYONE PUT SPARE TIRE ON CHECK LIST to make sure it looks secure when moving from location to location. Mine failed within first year of use. I got lucky in that I did not lose my spare tire while traveling down the road. That might have caused a bad accident behind me and I would not have known it was my tire caising it. Heartland may want to look into this before it causes an accident and they get a call from some lawyer. There is a speed wrench socket in the basement that operates the spare tire holder.

Last edited:

Miltp920

Sounds like a good mod. Behind the axles to lighten the pin weight?

I have a G-114 spare, it is within the published spec of my tire holder, but I can tell by looking at it that it is a concern. Im thinking about a side to side slide from a slide manufacturer that would go from side to side where I could have a couple of boxes on either side of the trailer AND the tire in the middle fully supported by a substantial roll out slide. I could empty the basement of items that would be more suited for a plastic box behind the wheels of the fiver and when I want my spare I could just roll or slide it out.

Jim.Allison

SHHHHHHH. Dont let anyone hear us talk about aft loading to lighten up pin weight. We will catch it for that. LOL. However that would be one effect. Actually we would not be using leverage to lighten pin load we would just be unloading the basement and making Momma happy at the same time.

Sounds like a good mod. Behind the axles to lighten the pin weight?

Miltp920

You design it, and ill buy it if the price is right. Momma tol me the basement looks like my pole barn. Meaning it is over loaded and unorganized. This item would help me out.

SHHHHHHH. Dont let anyone hear us talk about aft loading to lighten up pin weight. We will catch it for that. LOL. However that would be one effect. Actually we would not be using leverage to lighten pin load we would just be unloading the basement and making Momma happy at the same time.