Squeaky floor fix

MrBill

My 2008 Cyclone 3795 has developed a squeaky floor just inside the door. I'm guessing the plywood is working loose below. Can I fix this if I remove the bottom cover or is there more to fixing this? Anyone done this already?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bill, I suspect that the fix will have to be done from the top. If a Cyclone is the same as a BH...then the plywood floor sets on aluminum tubing.

MrBill

Since the factory reps don't reply, does anyone know if the plywood flooring is fastened to wood or aluminum stringers? And do the stringers run lengthwise or crosswise?
A question for those who have installed laminate flooring, if I install laminate would the extra thickness help stop the squeaking or prevent it from returning?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bill, I can't answer as to why the factory hasn't replied but you can always call customer service. Have your VIN ready.
There was a time frame that Heartland used wooden stringer instead of aluminum. Our 2007 Bighorn has wood stringers. We had a squeak. Repair was attempted from below but the squeak returned within a few weeks. I installed laminate flooring. After removing the vinyl I used drywall screws to secure the sheathing proir to installing the laminate. That was 3 yeas ago and we have not had any issues since. We have a small squeek up in the bedroom area that I need to get after but since we don't spend much time up there, it really hasn't bothered me that much. The bedroom floor is over aluminum stringers though so I suspect I might try to repair from the basement area with adhesives.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bill, when I was under the Horn with coroplast removed, the plywood sheeting is sitting on the cross members. Now the cross members run side to side between the frame just like house floor joist's do. Then the sheets is run the opposite direction. Best I can tell you.